Ford Transit USA Forum banner
1001 - 1020 of 1064 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
New tires can feel this way. The sharp edges grab until worn and many new tires can feel this way. This is exaggerated on heavy vehicles on high pressure, high load rated tires. I felt this with the new stock tires at highway speed--difficult to track straight. There's even a notice about this in the owner's manual. This break-in was even worse when going to the taller, wider 245/70R17. If the tread pattern is rather linear, like the new Bridgestone Revo4, worse still--even got this same poor tracking sensation on my Land Cruiser, recently. Good news, after about 1000 miles, I didn't notice it anymore.
I mean, that makes sense, but with brand new Vancos the handling was great. Bought two new sets of those, getting ready to replace them again and thinking about getting 255/70r16 K02s. I drive quite a bit on forest roads, and want the extra clearance and traction, but am not interested in trimming or modifying bodywork.

·
Registered
2019 250 Cargo MR LWB Quigley CCV pop-top
227 Posts
Unless you want to find
I mean, that makes sense, but with brand new Vancos the handling was great. Bought two new sets of those, getting ready to replace them again and thinking about getting 255/70r16 K02s. I drive quite a bit on forest roads, and want the extra clearance and traction, but am not interested in trimming or modifying bodywork.
For me, when I first picked up our Transit with the Vancos, they were fine up to about 65MPH, but once up near 75 and beyond, especially with wind, it was really scary having to correct course so much, especially on any vertically-channeled concrete pavement. It got significantly better after "break-in," which was ~1000 mi for me, and after that I noticed the matching notice in the owner's manual

From my owner's manual under "DRIVING HINTS:"
BREAKING-IN
You need to break in new tires for approximately 300 mi (480 km). During this time, your vehicle may exhibit some unusual driving characteristics.

The taller & wider 245/70R17 Yokohama Geolander G015 was more squirrely at even lower speeds as compared to the Vancos, starting with the "unusual driving characteristics," about 55 MPH. When new, the 285/75R16 Revo4s scared me at 55 MPH on my FZJ80. I thought I had made a $1000 mistake when new, but broke in fine and now don't notice--they are great in the snow, BTW.

Why go 255/70R16 over a 245/75R16? I think they both need a little metal and plastic trimming from the front wheel well, so why not go for the extra 1/2 inch in height--1/4" in ride/clearance height?
Interesting comparison of K02 to a three competitors, here: https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/testDisplay.jsp?ttid=249. The K02 was only scored best in snow. I drive much more dry and wet rather than snow where they were 2nd, so went with the G015. I drive in the snow weekly for skiing and do a lot of fire road driving, and the G015 has been admirable, so much so, I also put them on our Subaru Outback, too. I like them better than the Revo4 for road manners and loudness. The K02 does have 3 ply sidewall, though, if one has concern about extra protection from rocks taking out a sidewall (which has happened to me four different times in over the course of the last 20 yrs!).

·
Registered
68 Posts
We upgraded to 225/75R16. My god, the looks alone are reason enough! Got a great deal on a set of used VancoFourSeason tires (260$/4) and I keep wondering why the van didn't come stock with that size.

·
Registered
289 Posts
We upgraded to 225/75R16. My god, the looks alone are reason enough! Got a great deal on a set of used VancoFourSeason tires (260$/4) and I keep wondering why the van didn't come stock with that size.
Now see if this swap effects your speedometer reading: tiresize.com

·
Super Moderator
4,058 Posts
Interesting! Thanks!
Your tire circumference is 2337mm, with Forscan you can adjust your computer to 2260mm, which will get your speedometer closer to actual GPS speed..

This is a chart of the speedometer difference that you already observe:

·
Super Moderator
4,058 Posts
do u guys know if I will be able to put chains on 245/70R16 Cooper AT3 LT with Black Rhino Havasu? (rear tires only)
I'm in Florida, so there are no chains to test with, but there seems to be more than enough room in the back for them.

These are 245/75 16 tires:

·
Registered
76 Posts
Newbie question does the diameter of tyres Change with type for A/T, M/S and standard tyres for a given size?

Thinking if going for 245 75 r16 as haven't much space inside the tyre against the strut.

Cheers James

·
Super Moderator
4,058 Posts
The diameter should be the same, yet the tread design at the edges can affect clearance. The only place my 245/75 AT tires rub is on the inside of the wheel well. It only happens at full lock over a bump like pulling in or out of the driveway, no big deal so far.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Great many thanks.

I will get done before the winter!

Have a lot of other stuff to sort before then!!

Do you find them a smoother ride than stock tyres.

Which tyres do you have?

I need 116 rated tyres I think.

Cheers James

·
Registered
615 Posts
The diameter should be the same, yet the tread design at the edges can affect clearance. The only place my 245/75 AT tires rub is on the inside of the wheel well. It only happens at full lock over a bump like pulling in or out of the driveway, no big deal so far.
View attachment 154096
I’m guessing that rubbing is with the factory stock wheels, I also have 245/75R16 KO2s but I also bought some aftermarket aluminum wheels and the offset is a little different and they don’t rub on the inside.

·
Registered
15 Posts
How with a lighter wheel than stock did you take any hit on MPG? With the taller tire and lighter rim it should be less rotating mass as well as fewer rotations per mile witch should give you a higher highway speed at the same mpg or possibly better mpg at a lower speed. I don't know I've been trying to figure the math out for my 2016 Transit 350 XLT. I live in Az and freeway is 75mph which if I do 75 in my transit with the stock set up it drops my mpg down to like 13to 14mpg which is not Ideal at 60mph it sits around 18 to 19 but then I'll get run over. According to my math a lighter wheel and Taller tire 30in would be like lowering the gear and would let me stay at 2000rpms while maintaining at least 70mph or 2250rpm at 75mph and stay around the same 18 to 19 mpg. Anyone know if I am way off on these or not?

·
Registered
2018 MR 130 Passenger XLT 3.7. Mods: Eaton Truetrac, 4.11, Cooper Discoverer AT3 245/70/16
161 Posts
How with a lighter wheel than stock did you take any hit on MPG? With the taller tire and lighter rim it should be less rotating mass as well as fewer rotations per mile witch should give you a higher highway speed at the same mpg or possibly better mpg at a lower speed. I don't know I've been trying to figure the math out for my 2016 Transit 350 XLT. I live in Az and freeway is 75mph which if I do 75 in my transit with the stock set up it drops my mpg down to like 13to 14mpg which is not Ideal at 60mph it sits around 18 to 19 but then I'll get run over. According to my math a lighter wheel and Taller tire 30in would be like lowering the gear and would let me stay at 2000rpms while maintaining at least 70mph or 2250rpm at 75mph and stay around the same 18 to 19 mpg. Anyone know if I am way off on these or not?
It’s not just rpms you’re worried about here. The effort of moving an efficiency apartment through the air at 75 is much much greater than at 60. If you did see any gains at lower speed I bet those would be swamped by the increased drag.

1001 - 1020 of 1064 Posts