Ford Transit USA Forum banner

861 - 880 of 949 Posts

·
Registered
268 Posts
@Hack Saw thanks! What direction did you have to bend the pinch weld in the front wheel wells to prevent rubbing? To the inside or outside?
Actually I only had to bend one weld slightly over, to the outside, as the clearance was so tight it could hold a credit card. Only had to do the one side and neither side relative to the plastic skirt/dam to the front. Once you do bend it you may peel off the paint so be prepared perhaps with a can of undercoat or primer-spray at least.

Reactions: transmogrifier

·
Registered
268 Posts
Intentionally left blank as edit won't permit delete.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Trans- are you 'posting' or replying to my posts? I did not get notice of your inquiry. To answer your question, engine size and final-drive ratio have no bearing on what tire will or won't clear your application. What we have is coincidence, but moot nevertheless. Folded pinch weld, well, away from the tire is the important part but it happen to be towards the outside of the vehicle. Again, climbing hills I think depends more on load; are you hauling one uphill? A larger tire will alter your overall final drive ratio making acceleration, and hills, slower/more difficult, but again, it's all relative to what load and what hill. If your load is no where near the gross vehicle weight, highly doubt an issue, even with a 3:73 and a 30.6" overall tire.

·
Registered
268 Posts
:rolleyes:

·
Registered
268 Posts
If someone can tell me how to add a post under this title I can detail the change to LT245-70-16 tires that fit.
Orton-correct me here if I'm wrong but if you 'reply' to someone, yeah, you hit the reply and then your typing in the box at the bottom. But to POST, don't reply to anyone (of course) and simply (yes, misleading) go to the box below that you'd reply in and POST. If I got it wrong, then I'm just lucky but do let me know.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Orton-correct me here if I'm wrong but if you 'reply' to someone, yeah, you hit the reply and then your typing in the box at the bottom. But to POST, don't reply to anyone (of course) and simply (yes, misleading) go to the box below that you'd reply in and POST. If I got it wrong, then I'm just lucky but do let me know.
ie:reply

·
Registered
268 Posts
ie: POST

·
Registered
163 Posts
I ran low profile cable type chains on my 245/75R16 tires this winter with no issues. They fit with plenty of space on the rear drive tires. On the front, forget about it with this size. There is maybe a quarter inch of clearance between the tire and fender when the wheel is turned. But running chains on only the drive wheels is sufficient for almost all conditions.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
Hi Vulf, this is the tire size I just pout on my van. What chains did you purchase? Have you been happy with them?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thanks for the help here on this thread. Just installed my wheels and tires on the Transit. The tires barely have any clearance when I turn but haven't rubbed once in 100 miles around town with a good amount of weight in it. Ultra Toil 16" with BFG All Terrain KO2. 255/70r16. Larry

·
Registered
127 Posts
Thanks for the help here on this thread. Just installed my wheels and tires on the Transit. The tires barely have any clearance when I turn but haven't rubbed once in 100 miles around town with a good amount of weight in it. Ultra Toil 16" with BFG All Terrain KO2. 255/70r16. Larry
View attachment 130564
Did you get the same size spare, and if so, does it fit?

·
Registered
88 Posts
Hi Vulf, this is the tire size I just pout on my van. What chains did you purchase? Have you been happy with them?
Hi, I have the Peerless Super Z6 cable style chains and I've been very happy with them. I just got the recommended size for the tire size. 435 I think? They are quick to put on once you get used to using them and traction is great for snow and ice over pavement. We mostly use them for mountain passes on highways. We wouldn't have been able to have some of our winter adventures without them.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5 Posts
Big thanks to everyone for the help on this thread. Purchased my Ultra Toil 16” wheels (450-6655SB+45) from Summit. Took them over to Discount Tire for the install a few days ago. I decided to buy the tires from Discount and went with the Cooper Discoverer AT3 LT (118) in 245/70r16 (29.5). A/T tire with 60k tread warranty and they are super quiet compared to my E350 with KO2s. Didn’t buy the spare so can’t help out there.

The tires fit well on my 2015 T150 (130). The front tires have about 3/4” clearance at the pinch welds with the tires slightly turned and even more space to the bumper. I went back and forth between the 225/75r16 and 245/70r16s as I didn’t want to deal with any trimming or modifications to the body. I’m very happy with the way they look and ride. Now I need to get the suspension dialed in.

6B348E24-7B5D-499B-BF56-EC34D5E39E4C.jpeg
3981933C-47C1-47AD-8787-3DC6C9D39B75.jpeg
FC973AE7-0787-45CD-9DA0-03F492A884D9.jpeg
937C912F-B872-49E5-859A-F5287834FB89.jpeg

·
Registered
676 Posts
Congrats on good-looking new wheels/tires. Regarding the spare, you could always get a used highway-tread 225/75 (or in my case, use one of the 4 just replaced), of course not a great idea if you are into 5-wheel rotations. My used 225/75 Mich LTX fits fully aired, but not a lot of slack. If it were brand new, it would be super close.

I only suggest this as having a 28” diameter spare for the 29.5” “on-the-ground” tires could be hard on a Ltd-slip differential, or potentially cause steering issues. The 225 is nearly the same diameter, minimizing those concerns. I think user Orton has your size (245/70) as his spare; I can’t remember but I think he had to tinker a bit to get it to fit. Some people have even larger tires in the spare position, but not sure, they might be stowing them partially deflated or with a strap holding them closer to the bumper, or tilted in the well; ext-length vans may have more room...so YMMV.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2 Posts
I skipped over a lot of the older replies so this may have been said. If you are running heavy as I do (close to max weight) I do not recommend over size tires. When these vans came out there weren't many choices, now there are many. With heavy loads the van is much harder to control especially in crosswinds. We have 80 mph speed limit and it can be hair raising. I have put 225/75/16 on a couple of them and have since pulled them on all but one. That van is city driving only. I originally did it because I had new tires sitting around my shop and because replacement tires were so expensive.

·
Registered
676 Posts
Is there an all-terrain in 235/65/R16C with 121/119R E/10 specification yet?
Hah, the typical AT tire buyer wants BIG, BIGGER, BIGGEST tires.

However, the Michelin Agilis CrossClimate has one of the more aggressive tread designs of the 235/65’s. There are 2 tread patterns for that line of tires, and they make the unidirectional version in 235/65 and 225/75 sizes (maybe others). They also make an LT225/75 (with a lower rating like all LT225/75’s), and an LT245/75; these have a “non” directional tread. There’s a small thread just for the Cross-Climates. They have the snow rating. They are a pretty new offering, so not a lot of buzz about them yet.

It’s possible Nokian and General also have fairly aggressive models in stock size and load rating.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Reactions: perchancetodream

·
Registered
53 Posts
Replaced the stock tires with BF Goodrich T/A K02’s. Went with the LT225/75R16/E 115/112S. Slightly louder. Or maybe just a different noise from them vs actually being louder. Not sure yet as I don’t have much time on them. One thing for sure, they have waaay more dry road grip. I did a fast start from a stop test. They slipped a little then grabbed and took off. The stock tires would still be spinning.

861 - 880 of 949 Posts