Ford Transit USA Forum banner

841 - 860 of 900 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Just looked up your tire; load of 2149 vs 3000 or so for E-rated. My XL rated is 2756, or 10% less than an E, 34.8 lbs. vs like 51, 51psi max vs 80. Well, only you know if you need the capacity, and if so, ride quality should be a lower priority.
I believe the issue was first found by one of the installers, max psi was less than required to turn off the TPMS (44psi max if I remember right).

I had ran into this exact same issue without realizing it on a dodge 2500 where NTB was tasked with installing tires on wheels I provided, then installed the package on the truck. In that case a D tire was installed (all that was necessary since my dad got his own 2500 to haul his camper, wasn't a heavy truck to begin with and truck did not haul heavy loads after that so D would have been fine at this time) and some management person called me personally a week later to ask that I go back and have the tires swapped for the E version of the next best tire available in that size (a BFG KO2) free of charge. I naturally obliged.

Then after riding on what felt like wagon wheels for a week, I lowered my pressures to 60/40 and used the light load setting to keep TPMS off. Over time I ended up running much lower pressures and dealing with the light just to get a tolerable ride. People in the cummins forums have spent hours discussing and researching tire pressures with pretty similar suggestions across the board.

That said, my capacity is a minimal camper style setup/mtb hauler. No towing. I had not really researched the differences in load ratings that deep, only having read a few things on here. My dad, who was with me, believed they only intended on replacing the rear 2 tires. It's a T250 transit FYI.

My understanding is I have came upon the same predicament now in my transit, a tire was installed that does not meet what their computer deems "safe" aka "liability". They are eating the extra cost here as well.

To answer your question, yes ride quality is the priority over hauling. Is this XL load rating tire available in the cooper RTX, if not is it available on any AT tire 245/70-16? The information on this forum as a whole is great, just takes a lot of digging to get a culmination of solid facts.

·
Registered
18 Posts
How about 235/70R16?

The Transit OEM tire recommended size is 235/65R16. How about a slightly larger 235/70R16?

Comparing a Tire Size Calculator at tiresize.com/calculator/ (sorry, I can't post real links yet, I'm too new here) shows:

235/65R16 is 28" OD x 9.3"W
235/70R16 is 29" OD x 9.3"W

Basically, the same size but 1" larger diameter.

I see a bunch of references in this thread to:
245/75R16 is 30.5" OD x 9.6"W
245/70R16 is 29.5" OD x 9.6"W

But the photos of these tires installed on the Transit of this size repeatedly show less than an inch of clearance. This seems too tight, especially if snow or mud begins to build up.

I would think 235/70/16 would be a great fit for the Transit. There's also a large variety of choices, especially all terrain options.

These tires look very promising on a Transit:
HANKOOK DYNAPRO AT2 RF11 235 /70 R16 109T XL OWL
BFGOODRICH ALL TERRAIN T/A KO2 LT235 /70 R16 104S C1 RWL
NOKIAN TIRE ROTIIVA AT 235 /70 R16 109T XL BSW

I'm wondering, has anyone tried this tire size?

Thanks, Mo

·
Registered
86 Posts
The Transit OEM tire recommended size is 235/65R16. How about a slightly larger 235/70R16?

Comparing a Tire Size Calculator at tiresize.com/calculator/ (sorry, I can't post real links yet, I'm too new here) shows:

235/65R16 is 28" OD x 9.3"W
235/70R16 is 29" OD x 9.3"W

Basically, the same size but 1" larger diameter.

I see a bunch of references in this thread to:
245/75R16 is 30.5" OD x 9.6"W
245/70R16 is 29.5" OD x 9.6"W

But the photos of these tires installed on the Transit of this size repeatedly show less than an inch of clearance. This seems too tight, especially if snow or mud begins to build up.

I would think 235/70/16 would be a great fit for the Transit. There's also a large variety of choices, especially all terrain options.

These tires look very promising on a Transit:
HANKOOK DYNAPRO AT2 RF11 235 /70 R16 109T XL OWL
BFGOODRICH ALL TERRAIN T/A KO2 LT235 /70 R16 104S C1 RWL
NOKIAN TIRE ROTIIVA AT 235 /70 R16 109T XL BSW

I'm wondering, has anyone tried this tire size?

Thanks, Mo
Just a quick comment based on my personal experience. I run Nokian Rotiiva AT Plus in 245/75/R16 on my stock, HR Transit and they have been great. Yes the clearance is minimal and I do get some rubbing at full lock when the suspension gets loaded, but really no issues to speak of. I live in Montana and we do plenty of bad weather driving through snow. I run chains in the worst conditions on the rear tires and there is plenty of room for them. I use the cable style chains. So, if you really wanted to run 245/75R16, at least in the Nokian tire you mentioned, I think you'd be ok.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
18 Posts
Vulf, Thanks for sharing your personal experiences.

Your 245/75R16 has a diameter of 30.5". The 235/70R16 diameter is 29". The OEM 235/65R16 diameter is 28".

You report your tires have minimal clearance and rub on occasion with heavy loads. I personally would prefer a bit more clearance and no chance of rubbing. Which is what interests me in the 235/70R16 size.

Thanks, Mo

·
Registered
86 Posts
Vulf, Thanks for sharing your personal experiences.

Your 245/75R16 has a diameter of 30.5". The 235/70R16 diameter is 29". The OEM 235/65R16 diameter is 28".

You report your tires have minimal clearance and rub on occasion with heavy loads. I personally would prefer a bit more clearance and no chance of rubbing. Which is what interests me in the 235/70R16 size.

Thanks, Mo
In that case my comment is more for other people wanting to weigh the advantages and disadvantages of various sizes. I wanted no rubbing and more tire clearance as well, but I also wanted better ground clearance. So I gambled on the larger size. The reason for my comment was to point out that practically speaking, I found no real disadvantage due to the issues of tire clearance and rubbing that I had originally hoped to avoid. The clearance is not actually an issue with build up in the wheel wells, chains fit just fine, and the rubbing is so minor and infrequent it is of no consequence. For some, the greater ground clearance is not important enough make compromises like that. But maybe my experience would be helpful to someone else trying to decide whether or not they should opt for the bigger tire.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
I went to Pep Boys and they were willing to sell me what I wanted (twice). screw Discount Tire then, lol
I was thrilled with the DT dealer in the last town I lived in, yet had nothing but annoyance where I live now.
Exact opposite experience here. Local Pep Boys completely inept. Called that tires were ready for installation, but upon my arrival, duh where de tires? Two days later, found tires in regional warehouse. Directional tires put on backwards. Not able to reset TPM because they do not have the electronic tool. Discount Tire - no guff, tires actually there when promised, correct installation, TPM reset, take off set bagged for storage.

Conclusion - YMMV :D

·
Registered
264 Posts
Chance- as I swapped my E-rated for XL, I'm running 30psi less in tire pressure, and much happier with the rideBTW. However, I too am stuck with the amber dash notice of low pressure. Accustomed to it by now but what would it entail to pursue the fix; dismount and adjustment (not likely) or what? Dealer was so confused they just pumped it back up to 80psi and sent me out the door; true, but we all have dealer stories. So, 1) what's the fix here, and 2) if I do go 17" I'll have to (?) swap the monitor off the OEM wheel and affix to the 17". E-Z for the common shop or consult NASA that day? What's THIS entail? Thnx. (pic has nothing to do with inquiry)

c/o VanCompass

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
A competent tire shop will have the handheld electronic gizmo that resets the sensors just by walking around the van pressing a button. You're probably better off buying new pressure sensors with the new rims, but you could also have them transfer the ones you have mounted in the old rims.

As for getting the amber warning light to turn off at lower-than-spec pressure, that's a trick the tire shop probably cannot do for you. The van computer holds that setting, and like the RPM / speedometer reading ratio, dealers don't seem to be able or willing to mess with the Ford programming at that level. Maybe some kind of tuning software?

Black electrical tape works.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Chance- I did use black electrical tape but people laughed at my glasses.
OK, you open another box: RPM/speed. Are you saying that relative to the 'build,' my 3.7 w/3.73, the engine speed with this config dictates the speedo? Sooooooo, am I just learning that oversize tires still provide the correct speedo reading? No need to: https://tiresize.com/speedometer-calibration/ ?

·
Registered
9 Posts
OK, you open another box: RPM/speed. Are you saying that relative to the 'build,' my 3.7 w/3.73, the engine speed with this config dictates the speedo? Sooooooo, am I just learning that oversize tires still provide the correct speedo reading?
Nope. Van computer assumes the OEM tire size and drives the speedo from that. If you change tire size, your speedo WILL be wrong. And, so far, I haven't found any record that anyone has been able to change that through a tune or other means.

Your best bet is to either do the head math to adjust indicated speed to actual speed, use GPS, or other external means to show actual speed.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
2,325 Posts
There are many phone apps to display GPS speed, it wouldn't take much to mount and wire an old smart phone as your speedometer.
With 245/75 tires, my speed is off by 10% which is easy to calculate- 40=44, 60=66, etc. However, that van has an Android stereo with TorquePro installed so it is set to display GPS speed, time, gear, outside temp, and all 4 tire pressures, handy.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Chance- Well nowadays I'm hardly the fastest guy out there but I did read at some time that Quigley, who were running an 85-series AT on their preliminary work did make a statement that a larger tire and their 4WD would be something they were planning on providing once they cued it up with Ford. They just may have a fix, potentially downloadable from Ford. Me, just go with the flow nowadays with any van. Good to know my speedo is still wrong though.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Chance- They just may have a fix,.

I was just reading comments on Amazon for the $25.49 Ford TPMS19 sensor reset tool and the generic $14.95 version https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07PNP9SVB where someone wrote that if you reset the sensors while the tires are at your desired (lower) pressure, the van computer accepts the current pressure as the correct pressure. For the price, might be worth a try.

·
Registered
86 Posts
@vulf super helpful info about the chains and the 245/75s, thanks. What gear ratio do you have and is your transit an ecoboost?
Yes it's the Ecoboost and it has the 3.31 limited slip. Van drives pretty great still even with the larger tires. I put 34" tires on my 10 speed F150 and it was really irritating to drive after that. I usually put it in tow haul mode going slow up steeper grades but I'm not sure I wouldn't have to do that with the stock tire size and that gear ratio.

·
Registered
41 Posts
@Hack Saw any issues with the 245/75 diameter being too large for the 3.7L/3.73 engine/ratio combo? I have the same engine and ratio, and worried that the diameter may be too big, especially when climbing hills.
@Chinook what engine and axle ratio do you have?

·
Super Moderator
2,325 Posts
any issues with the 245/75 diameter being too large for the 3.7L/3.73 engine/ratio combo? I have the same engine and ratio, and worried that the diameter may be too big, especially when climbing hills.
I had none with my previous 3.7/3.73 wagon with 245/75 tires. They were perfectly fine with no perceptible difference in performance.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Trans/g: None. Maybe under a load/weight the 'now-revised' overall ratio may inhibit performance but built out as I have my 130HR, I would understand a loss of acceleration due to the overall ratio now being a 3:55 vs 3:73.

841 - 860 of 900 Posts