Ford Transit USA Forum banner

621 - 640 of 900 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Positive Offset (in this case, +50 mm w/ 17X8 Toils or +55 for stock 16X6.5) increases backspacing...i.e. the higher the P.O., the closer the inner tire sidewall is to the front strut.

The Moto Metal 17X8 has less offset (+42 mm) so it would sit 8 mm farther away from the strut than the Toil 17X8.....might be a good thing. backspacing ends up same as with the 6.5" width stock rim.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Positive Offset (in this case, +50 mm w/ 17X8 Toils or +55 for stock 16X6.5) increases backspacing...i.e. the higher the P.O., the closer the inner tire sidewall is to the front strut.

The Moto Metal 17X8 has less offset (+42 mm) so it would sit 8 mm farther away from the strut than the Toil 17X8.....might be a good thing. backspacing ends up same as with the 6.5" width stock rim.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wheel_sizing

·
Registered
22 Posts

I have the vancompass lift and moto metal 17x8 wheels with 245/70/17 tires. My installer test fitted 265/70/17 and 245/75/17 but said both of those rubbed when suspension articulated :(.

·
Registered
129 Posts
thx mtbwagn. I'm going to do some testing w/ a 17X8 rim and different tire sizes next week. But as I've posted already, making measurements on my van and reviewing data in this thread has lead me to believe that 245/70R17 will fit but going a bit larger may not, so thanks for confirming a similar conclusion on your setup. Your rims have 8 mm less offset but according to quadvan my front hubs are spaced farther outboard than stock (I don't remember by what exact amount but I think he said it was around a quarter of an inch i.e. 8 mm approx) so it should work out.

A largish brand (e.g. Falken) 245/75R17 has a 31.7" OD....considerably more than the 30.8" 70R17 version.

hack saw, the internet is filled with wheel fitting diagrams that support the simple math I've done above. Not sure what your point is but open to anything you want to add here.

·
Registered
22 Posts
thx mtbwagn. I'm going to do some testing w/ a 17X8 rim and different tire sizes next week. But as I've posted already, making measurements on my van and reviewing data in this thread has lead me to believe that 245/70R17 will fit but going a bit larger may not, so thanks for confirming a similar conclusion on your setup. Your rims have 8 mm less offset but according to quadvan my front hubs are spaced farther outboard than stock (I don't remember by what exact amount but I think he said it was around a quarter of an inch i.e. 8 mm approx) so it should work out.

A largish brand (e.g. Falken) 245/75R17 has a 31.7" OD....considerably more than the 30.8" 70R17 version.

hack saw, the internet is filled with wheel fitting diagrams that support the simple math I've done above. Not sure what your point is but open to anything you want to add here.
I'll be curious what you discover. If larger tires can be added with minimal modifications, I'll be tempted. My installer was conservative (and rightfully so, I suppose)

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
77 Posts
Not sure about every dealers service department but for those owners not letting an alternate tire’s weight load rating factor in too much, my local dealer records the tire’s weight rating(s) when in for service. I don’t remember ever seeing that from my Toyota dealers on any of my trucks before. Might be a Ford thing or just a localized dealer thing?

·
Registered
90 Posts
Do the factory front wheel well liners interfere with larger tires like 245-75-16?

Can thicker chains still be used on 245-70-16?
I have the factory front wheel liners and they do not interfere with 245/75/16. The chain fiting is very interesting. I dont believe a thicker chain can fit without cutting in to the rear seam welds. The axle is not in the center or the wheelwell. Its located closer to the body.
I was actually for looking for snow chain that are slim and kept finding some euro items. Ultra thin chains with some patterns that claim to work amazing plus videos. Another one was some kind of tube sock thing that goes over the tire. It has to be ordered in the specific size of the tire. Do they work? I might have to order to try it. This would avoid cutting metal.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I have the factory front wheel liners and they do not interfere with 245/75/16.
Thanks for the very useful information.
For clarification, it seems Chelo was looking for chains for 245-75-16's. I would not even bother to hope normal chains are feasible at this size either (hence Chelo's search for a super-thin solution that might work).

I'm still curious if anyone has successfully used normal chains in a 245-70-16 size. That's about midway between stock and Chelo's size (his being the biggest size commonly used with minor to no issues). I might start a dedicated thread in that direction. To my eye, 245-70 looks like it should be stock, with 235-65 'looking' too small, even if it might not be.

Tonight I read a chain review by a guy with a Promaster, who was using 265-75-16!! AND he was buying chains!! So, okay, we've found something a Promaster bests a Transit at. So does Sprinter, FTM.

[This post then became a rant, the rest of which I decided to post separately in the "Qwerks you don't like about your Transit" thread.]

·
Registered
209 Posts
All-Terrain T/A KO2 - Size: LT245/75R16

Correction: BFG All-Terrain T/A KO2 - Size: LT255/70R16 : 120/117S

KO2 LT255/70R16 on factory aluminum rims for 4000 miles. Put on at Discount tire. They had a tendency to wander on blacktop at highway speed. Tires at 65PSI front and 70PSI back and all is well. No rubbing. Using an old ScanGaugeII to display the four TPMS pressures and a ScanGaugeE with an 8% adjustment to get the actual speed. Maybe a one MPG drop using "winter Gas". Real world: 100 miles on the odometer = 106.4 actual. The vans MPG guesstament is almost on target now. ;-]

Overall: More confidence in Florida mangrove mud and sugar sand.

·
Registered
209 Posts
KO2 LT255/70R16 on factory aluminum rims -1st rotation notes

KO2 LT255/70R16 on factory aluminum rims -1st rotation notes

Inflated 255/70 on aluminum rim will not fit in the spare tire mount location, but it seemed the factory trailer hitch (5000#/500#) might be cut back some to make it work. Not really an option with the aluminum rims and the trapeze arrangement.

The Dynapro HT RH12 is listed on tiresize.com at 39# and the KO2 LT255/70R16 at 47.6#. The factory Hancock tire and steel rim weighed 75#. The KO2 on the factory aluminum rim was less at 73#. That made me do a double take. Maybe makes up some for carrying a trolley jack and a slice of 2x8 around all the time.

☼ ⚸ ☀

·
Registered
68 Posts
I bought my tires from Tirebuyer.com got Ironman Country A/T 245/75/16 120/116Q 10 ply. It had great reviews. I just my tires installed a mom and pop shop. Firestone, Americas Tires, and one more shop wont install it. Firestone was saying it wont fit and manager reason was it will hit the shocks and the Vanco have a "C" and mine have a "Q". He was just being a dick. I even ask an employee said no ones likes him.

I love my new rubber and it fits the wheel well very good. But on the freeway it drift a little even though there's no strong winds. Its this normal? Thanks

·
Registered
5,093 Posts
I bought my tires from Tirebuyer.com got Ironman Country A/T 245/75/16 120/116Q 10 ply. It had great reviews. I just my tires installed a mom and pop shop. Firestone, Americas Tires, and one more shop wont install it. Firestone was saying it wont fit and manager reason was it will hit the shocks and the Vanco have a "C" and mine have a "Q". He was just being a dick. I even ask an employee said no ones likes him.

I love my new rubber and it fits the wheel well very good. But on the freeway it drift a little even though there's no strong winds. Its this normal? Thanks
I've found that new tires on a truck or van always wander for the first 500 miles or so.

·
Super Moderator
2,340 Posts
Our 245/75r16 tires wandered when we had them installed and it was because they had the pressures too high and all 4 the same.

I lowered the fronts to just under 50 lbs and rear under 70 lb, problem solved instantly.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Jumping in here after not really seeing concise answers. I just got back from my QuadVan conversion and need new tires ASAP. I am going with the Ultra 450SB Toil Van 16x6.5 5x160 +45mm Satin Black Wheel Rim. Do we have any consensus on the following:

1. Will a 245/75R16 tire rub?
2. Will that tire fit in the spare space underneath the van?
3. Will adding a larger tire really void my warranty (aka, has anyone actually had an issue)?
4. Is there a way to re-calibrate the computer to match upgraded tire size?

Thank you!

·
Registered
23 Posts
I can say that I have a 350 wagon with the Transit offroad (Foes) lift with 245/75/16 KO2's on Moto metal wheels and they rubbed in the front on the pinch weld and a bit on the front bumper skirt. Minor trimming and everything is now 100% rub free.

·
Super Moderator
2,340 Posts
Do we have any consensus on the following:

3. Will adding a larger tire really void my warranty (aka, has anyone actually had an issue)?
1. My 245/75r16 tires do not rub at all, but they are close
2. I've not tried to place one as a spare, but some have made them fit if I recall
3. I doubt it, not a problem for me
4. So far, haven't heard of any way. I use several methods to display the GPS speed instead

·
Registered
256 Posts
That is a badass looking rig!! Think I will have to do the same. Had already decided on the tire but not the size.... spare fit?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Jumping in here after not really seeing concise answers. I just got back from my QuadVan conversion and need new tires ASAP. I am going with the Ultra 450SB Toil Van 16x6.5 5x160 +45mm Satin Black Wheel Rim. Do we have any consensus on the following:

Thank you!
Just wondering if you have decided on what make of tire you will use? I too hope to use Quad van to do my conversion but I really need to get new tires (and probably new rims as well) before they do the conversion.

621 - 640 of 900 Posts