Ford Transit USA Forum banner

21 - 40 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
458 Posts
What do you mean by that? Like that it may be illegal to sleep in your vehicle in that space even if it is legally parked there?
At some locations, yes. There are some municipal ordinances that make it illegal to sleep, rest, or camp in public spaces, in a legally-parked vehicle, or even on private property with the permission of the property owner.

·
Registered
136 Posts
That reminds me of a true story my father told me once....he is a defense lawyer and has done a lot of DUI cases...

A guy drives a truck (semi) for a living. One night he comes back home and find his wife with another man.
He leaves the house, had a few drinks and go to sleep in his truck. This is in Quebec in the winter (-20C) so he let his truck running. Cops find him, arrest him and give him a DUI. Now he is losing his wife AND his job.

My father took the case and went to court. He proved to the judge that there was no hotel or motel available in town (it's a small village really) that night, so the guy had no choice to sleep in this truck or he would have probably frozen to death. The judge acquitted him.

Life is full of surprises...

·
Registered
270 Posts
About 20’ish years ago, my then-twenties son had a flat tire in Enid, OK. It was night, so he limped to a nearby service station and went to sleep. About 5:30 am, nature called, so he went around back of the station. Mid-stream, he heard, "Put your hands up and turn around." He tried to explain, but the cop wasn’t listening, so he did what the cop told him to do. These days, they would have probably charged him with depositing bodily fluids on a peace officer. Fortunately, he was not into alcohol.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Shoot, more stuff to think about. Appreciate all the info!

I refuse to drink and drive. But my wife and I do love to have a few on the weekend, and Austin is about an hour and a half from my post. We like to hit up breweries because we can bring our dog. We often just designate one of us to be the sober driver. Now that we are building a van out, we thought it’d be awesome to be able to just hit the bed after, wake up in Austin still, and make another day out of it. I didn’t know about the not being able to sleep even if parked legally.

When I say we drink, I don’t mean that we get plastered. We do drink enough to not safely drive though, and we 100% do not risk driving. That’s not what the point of this post is. I may have worded it poorly and came off wrong.

·
Registered
2016, MR, 130"
347 Posts
Since I have a firefighters license I am limited to .04. I won't drink anything at all if I am in any place where I might get rousted. This is one of the reasons I am almost always on BLM land or some other lonely spot. I too like a couple of drinks (and like the OP, never get plastered) but I am always mindful of location.

Ms,nomers post reminds me when me and some buddies were about 18 and definitely over the limit walking home. We all needed to pee so we went around the back of a building to relive ourselves. We too got the "hands up"! Turned out the building we chose was a pharmacy and there had been a rash of break ins and the cops had the place staked out. Luckily, when we showed them the three yellow, steaming holes in the snow and they searched us and found no tools they sent us on our way with a stern lecture. I think they just wanted to get us out of there so they could continue waiting for the bad guys.

·
Registered
6,911 Posts
That reminds me of a true story my father told me once....he is a defense lawyer and has done a lot of DUI cases...

A guy drives a truck (semi) for a living. One night he comes back home and find his wife with another man.
He leaves the house, had a few drinks and go to sleep in his truck. This is in Quebec in the winter (-20C) so he let his truck running. Cops find him, arrest him and give him a DUI. Now he is loosing his wife AND his job.

My father took the case and went to court. He proved to the judge that there was no hotel or motel available in town (it's a small village really) that night, so the guy had no choice to sleep in this truck or he would have probably frozen to death. The judge acquitted him.

Life is full of surprises...
It sounds like his wife was already loose.

Reactions: greenvan

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
I guess, I will have to invite people to help me finish a bottle of wine, instead of keeping it in a cooler for another occasion then.
No problem, I'm on the way over to help you out.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Why do you feel the need to drink at all?
This was something I did in my 20s because everybody else I knew did it, By my mid 20s I had grown out of it.
I still drink but it is one or two beers or a glass of wine, Mostly because I like the taste of it once in awhile.
A little judgy dude. Some people like to have more than a few. I thought the peeing on a cop car story was funny but now it just sounds like you can't handle.

·
Registered
6,911 Posts
I thought it was normal to black out and do interesting stuff when drinking? Am I the only one?!
And now I hear most people only drink 4-5 days a week, too!
Maybe that's just in the Bible Belt or something, it doesn't sound right.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Got pulled over on TX 87 South Of Dumas by TXSP. I was more or less going the speed limit in my old hot rod E350. We had a cooler between seats with Cokes and waters and beers and open liquor bottles. (Booze was from camping days before in Louisiana). Officer decided to strip search my van, literally. He was sure we were carrying cash to go by weed in Colorado. Had a nice Chat with Local Sheriff that was called in to watch me and my (20 year younger) girl friend. I point out the age difference because the "age difference" is what started the roust. Even though we had addresses that matched, and matched van, which had both names on Reg. and insurance!! Lesson learned was don't keep booze in front of van. After chatting with the local sheriff, he went and talked to the Trooper and told him to fack off and we quickly loaded all our stuff back in the van (inflated air mattress included) and boogied on to Dumas, were my GF quickly destroyed the toilet in a Mcdonalds, the result of a Whataburger in Amarillo! Ohhhh Life...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Got pulled over on TX 87 South Of Dumas by TXSP. I was more or less going the speed limit in my old hot rod E350. We had a cooler between seats with Cokes and waters and beers and open liquor bottles. (Booze was from camping days before in Louisiana). Officer decided to strip search my van, literally. He was sure we were carrying cash to go by weed in Colorado. Had a nice Chat with Local Sheriff that was called in to watch me and my (20 year younger) girl friend. I point out the age difference because the "age difference" is what started the roust. Even though we had addresses that matched, and matched van, which had both names on Reg. and insurance!! Lesson learned was don't keep booze in front of van. After chatting with the local sheriff, he went and talked to the Trooper and told him to fack off and we quickly loaded all our stuff back in the van (inflated air mattress included) and boogied on to Dumas, were my GF quickly destroyed the toilet in a Mcdonalds, the result of a Whataburger in Amarillo!
...and bought weed, right?

·
Registered
2,924 Posts
A little judgy dude. Some people like to have more than a few. I thought the peeing on a cop car story was funny but now it just sounds like you can't handle.
I was often judged harshly as a child. What goes around comes around, Unfortunately.

·
Registered
563 Posts
I thought it was normal to black out and do interesting stuff when drinking? Am I the only one?!
And now I hear most people only drink 4-5 days a week, too!
Maybe that's just in the Bible Belt or something, it doesn't sound right.
A friend recently said to me. I don't drink a lot, I just drink everyday...

21 - 40 of 49 Posts