Ford Transit USA Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
2016 T350HD XLT, 3.5L, HR, EWB, DRW
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

We use our transit mostly as a family hauler for road trips and with friends (without COVID). Was curious if anyone had found anyone who had manufactured or made an airport shuttle style luggage rack for the rear of a 350HD EL HR? Something with a metal frame bolted to the transit's specified locations that could be removed if needed but had a few shelves, etc?

· Super Moderator
4,716 Posts
Interesting idea, something could probably be configured using a hitch mounted cargo tray.

It could double as alternative seating space for unruly children on long trips, lol

· Registered
10,369 Posts
Metro shelving would work. You're going to have to get handy with mounting system, though. Personally I'd just make one out of 2x2 and 3/4" plywood, that fit snug behind the back seat so it COULDN'T move. Paint it black so it doesn't look so "home made", or cover the whole thing in car carpet/speaker cabinet material.

Reactions: asdrew

· Registered
2016 T350HD XLT, 3.5L, HR, EWB, DRW
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I used to have a part time job repairing airport shuttle buses, Those racks take up a lot of floor space inside the bus. As I recall they were about 10'x3'. or 6'x3'

View attachment 143646
Yep this is literally what I'm looking for, but rotated 90 degrees and past the last row of seats in an extended length wagon.

· Super Moderator
4,716 Posts
Yep this is literally what I'm looking for, but rotated 90 degrees and past the last row of seats in an extended length wagon.
Sorry, I misunderstood the original question. When you wrote rack for the rear I though you meant outside, lol. 😵

You might find something designed for a shuttle van, I've been in a few hotel ones that had a rack like that but I am sure they are way overpriced.

Modifying a rack designed for something more mainstream may be a good option or fabricating something as @surly Bill describes. If doing so, bear in mind the design of the one @Michael Ophus shared with slanted shelves. If the rack extends above the seats, it would need some sort of bulkhead-type provision to ensure what's in the back stays in the back.

As far as securing it for the occasional use you describe, cargo tie down straps should suffice.
A good starting point could be the adjustable steel shelves sold at most big box stores.

· Registered
5,726 Posts
We were converting used airport shuttle buses into church buses, We sent many luggage racks to the metal recycling yard. Our company went bankrupt during the 2008 recession, And the Boss has since died of old age.
About all I remember about the bus parts we did buy is that they came from the Elkhart indiana area.

· Registered
24 Posts
While I am NOT a full club member and I have not yet bought a van-- I am seeking the same full width rear storage behind the rear seat with interior secure lock doors that open to the interior above the rear seat. I Was seeking even just commercial manufactured permanently attached aluminum or maybe steel secure wall mounting system rails with holes and I think the easy part is that I could fabricate the shelve racks that could be added and removed as needed. I canNOT comment on these products.since I do not own a van yet... but looking around I saw this: Dejana’s Katerack© & DuraRac Van Shelving offers a place for everything and everything in its place!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.