Ford Transit USA Forum banner

41 - 46 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
I decided that I didn't need AC as I would just follow the weather. However, where did I go on my first trip this spring before the camper was even half done? To SC beaches where they had record heat (>100 for as least 4 days...lost count). I found that in the shade I could tolerate the heat with my max air fan and a wind tunnel fan from walmart just fine, but I hadn't even thought of bug screens. Just too focused on doing cabinets, layout, electr, you know!! anyway...the no-see-um gnats, biting flies, mosquitos, etc made life pretty miserable as I had to keep the back doors or the sliding door open d/t the heat. Bought netted curtain panels from ikea which worked pretty well with the mosquitos but were a hassle and fidgety every time i or the pup went in and out. So....a little room ac and a tarp from lowes hanging out the back door and supported by a storage tub made life heaven, but you do not want to get to the end of your build and find that this is your only solution. So...make sure you are prepared and have great bug screens that are built in and easy to use if you don't go with ac. The fans would have been adequate otherwise.

·
Registered
270 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Longest I've run the a/c was an hour for testing, engine idling. Yes I have 250A alternator.

A/C pulled 115 amps as registered on Victron monitor. Over time, the load dropped to 40 amps as van cooled off and compressor had less load.

If you could run the AC while idling for an hour or so this would be a good option for those of us traveling with dogs who want to stop for lunch, groceries, etc. when it's stinking hot. One more thing in the plus column for adding AC.

The places I like to camp and hang out (Rockies, PacNW) you don't need AC and a fan works great. No need for hookups. But I have to drive across the Midwest and Great Plains to get to these places. It would be worth it to me to pay a little extra for an electric hookup along the way to escape those 100 degree temps and get a good night's sleep. The same applies to a trip out to North Carolina's Outer Banks when it gets hot and humid.

41 - 46 of 46 Posts