Ford Transit USA Forum banner

521 - 540 of 1502 Posts

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
All I can add is that my 2016 was built 8 Oct 2015, and the air filter got wet, right from the factory.
No mystery to solve, MY Air Filter Housing ingests water from somewhere.

·
Registered
501 Posts
No mystery to solve
Ah, but it is a mystery!!! Where, pray tell, is the water getting in? There must an opening in the housing somewhere?...That seems unlikely, but, is it? During my inspections yesterday, I didn't take an airbox apart to examine it. I reckon I should have. Yes, the cowl is wonky, especially the ends...but I determined that it's actually working (photo above) unless a five gallon bucket is dumped on it.

The only assumption I can make it that the air box isn't attached and clamped down properly. Is it easy to remove, or do you have to man handle it out of the way? It looks a bit PITA all back in that corner.

The air filter housing on my 5.4 Ford van is a bit tricky to reattatch...I change my own filters, but at least a couple times I've had to fix it proper after an oil change because somebody there wanted to have a look at it. Any time I have work done on my vehicles I scope out the engine compartment before I drive away.

No bueno on the air filter getting wet!! I'm just trying to figure it out because so far in this thread, no one has precisely identified the entry point into a properly latched box.

If I had the old "hose" style over the filter, I would certainly get my hands on the gutter...it snaps into place and catches the water coming from "behind the windshield" near the hood bracket. It's better than nothing, because with just the hose, there's literally nothing there to stop the winshield edge/A pillar flow.

Even if I was able to stop every single drop of water from engine compartment entry, I would still want to discover HOW it got into the box. I'm gonna figure that out, come **** or high water!

When I get my van, I'll go all Sherlock Holmes on it...in the meantime, all I can imagine is that it's operator error...perhaps yours was jacked from the factory? Has it gotten wet since?

This is kind of a big deal...I'm about to throw down some serious cash on one of these things. This thread gets lots of attention....I'd hate for people to be afraid of a purchase because of a problem that really isn't.

I'm not trying to make a declaration of supreme intelligence here, but I definitively examined the cowl/guttering and determined that it's reasonable...now, for cryin' out loud, somebody figure out how the water got (or gets into) THE BOX!

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
You need to read the thread from the beginning. .

The airbox is designed wrong. It's upside down.
It's the same as putting shingles on a roof from top to bottom with the top row underneath each one below it.

Or like holding an umbrella upside-down. It might work at first but eventually that water has to go somewhere and it sits in the gutter around the edge of the filter box and gets sucked in.

You can't stop water from getting under the hood of a van. It also will splash upwards from the road. But when the airbox is a catch pan it doesn't matter.

·
Registered
501 Posts
You need to read the thread from the beginning.
I did. There are plenty of post where people report that their filters are dry...so the "lack of gasket" or "upside down" doesn't appear to be a common issue.

It's either op error or something else is going on. I should have taken a few apart yesterday when I had all those vans at my disposal...oh well, there's next Sunday!

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
Byron for someone who doesn't own one of these Van
You Sure seem to be a MR Know It All --

I let your past comments slide by but you have NO CLUE what you are
talking about -
You are not the first MR Know It ALL that has been on this forum and on
other forums that I have been on -- Run Mouth No Clue - thats you -

So take some advice and hang out here and Learn what is going on
before you say things that you Clearly have NO Clue what you are talking about--
-
-
-

·
Registered
45 Posts
Byron for someone who doesn't own one of these Van

I let your past comments slide by but you have NO CLUE what you are
talking about -
You are not the first MR Know It ALL that has been on this forum and on
other forums that I have been on -- Run Mouth No Clue - thats you -

So take some advice and hang out here and Learn what is going on
before you say things that you Clearly have NO Clue what you are talking about--
-
-
-
Op error my ass my van has been in to ford 3 times going back tomorrow. SPOKE to ford reps multiple times in Florida they seem to be willing to fix it. I ASKED WHY DONT THEY ADDRESS THE PROBLEM MEANING AIR FILTER HE ACTED LIKE HE HAD NO IDEA I TOLD HIM TO READ THE THEADS ON THE FORUM.Will speak with them again Friday

·
Registered
501 Posts

you Clearly have NO Clue what you are talking about--
-
-
-
Oh indeed...I don't know why some people report wet filters and others are dry. That's the million dollar question, right there.

With all due respect, Groovy...after I saw what a horrible mess you made of your van in an attempt to fix this problem I determined to find another option. I'm a house painter and by default I have to fix lots of things...slobbering a whole tube of caulk all over the windshield would be at the very bottom of the list. With that said, I certainly hope your repair solved the issue.

Lots of people come to these forums for lots of reasons...you certainly see folks asking for advice on how to fix things, and others chime in. Lots of "Know it alls" around, I reckon...

Some guy got chewed out a few pages back for insinuating that it's op error. That back edge up just a couple millimeters is all it would take...although I "don't know what I'm talking about" I'd bet a granddad that's what the problem is.

I determined that the elec. connectors getting wet aren't an issue, based on what's going on with the F-150 design I cited...I also thing the gutter Ford substituted in place of the hose is actually doing an adequate job. If you have an answer why some filters get wet and others don't, I'd love to hear it.

With that said, I'll avoid this thread until/unless my van gets the dreaded wet filter. By no means did I come here to bother anyone.

Maybe I'll be one of the lucky ones? Then I certainly won't have anything to say about this, will I? I'll just pop in every now and then to observe the carnage.

·
Registered
2,254 Posts
With that said, I'll avoid this thread until/unless my van gets the dreaded wet filter. By no means did I come here to bother anyone.

Maybe I'll be one of the lucky ones? Then I certainly won't have anything to say about this, will I? I'll just pop in every now and then to observe the carnage.
I think you're putting good thought and research into it.

·
Registered
2,259 Posts
As a Know It All here is my guess- the perimeter of the filter has a molded on black foam gasket.
This gasket sits in a trough formed by the bottom part of the air filter housing.
The top part of the filter housing seals against this gasket.
Now since Ford inverted the design from what it should be to shed water- so the lid sits inboard of the bottom lip.

Water sits in this trough.

Folks- the foam gasket is POROUS! Apply a vacuum to one side- created by the engine running and water can be pulled THROUGH the gasket- not just maybe around it but actually THROUGH it.

I confirmed the gasket is porous by placing a syringe nozzle against it- one can both push and pull air and WATER right through the gasket material. Pretty telling to see water ooze through the rubber foam gasket and bead up on the far side.

If the lid was outside the bottom, as it should be, water would not sit in the trough.

Skeptics can try it themselves.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Like I said in an earlier post, the rubber gasket that's part of the air filter would probably stop water intrusion if we lived in a perfect world. My belief is water gets into the air box because, somehow, the rubber gasket doesn't seal perfectly. A redesign of the air box is going to be the only true cure other than the TURD mod.

·
Registered
2,259 Posts
From what I found it likely does not matter if the gasket seals perfectly- it is POROUS to water. Apparently it is made of open cell foam rather than closed cell foam.

·
Registered
93 Posts
When I first bought my van I checked the filter and it was wet. Took it to the dealer and they performed the TSB and changed the filter. After I got it home I checked the housing and it was not installed correctly. The one clip could not be closed. So I took it apart and cleaned the channel out that was full of dirt and cleaned out the air box. It took a lot of effort to get the box lid seated correctly after that but I did get both clips to engage. I tested out the new gutter and it seemed to work well. I decided to check it today since I am in the northeast and snow is here. Filter is bone dry and shows no signs of being wet at all. I was pleasantly surprised since the van had been sitting for over a week. We had rain then snow then rain while I was gone. For me the gutter works with no other mods. My two cents.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
501 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
When I first bought my van I checked the filter and it was wet. Took it to the dealer and they performed the TSB and changed the filter. After I got it home I checked the housing and it was not installed correctly. The one clip could not be closed. So I took it apart and cleaned the channel out that was full of dirt and cleaned out the air box. It took a lot of effort to get the box lid seated correctly after that but I did get both clips to engage. I tested out the new gutter and it seemed to work well. I decided to check it today since I am in the northeast and snow is here. Filter is bone dry and shows no signs of being wet at all. I was pleasantly surprised since the van had been sitting for over a week. We had rain then snow then rain while I was gone. For me the gutter works with no other mods. My two cents.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Any water on top of the engine

·
Registered
326 Posts
This shows routing of the orange antenna wire in front of the new gutter and placement of the foil tape....

This just shows removal and trashing of the existing drain hose....

And this one just shows what it looks like completed....

The only other part of the TSB is removal of the cowl and placing some type of sealing tape along the back edge, which I don't have a picture of.

One thing I did was pull the Orange antenna cable down so that the lowest point was below the firewall grommet. Otherwise, any water running down the cable ends up right against that grommet and could possibly weep into the firewall.

·
Registered
20 Posts
air filter nightmare

Just had our first rain since I got the 2016 Transit Nov. 20. Wal-Mart fix works, pan was covered with water air filter housing was dry. Driver side not so good. All electronics soaked with water. Looked like the hood was open. Obviously they haven't applied the fix to mine. Truck sat in the driveway for the whole 5 hours of the storm.

521 - 540 of 1502 Posts