Ford Transit USA Forum banner
21 - 40 of 1630 Posts

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
Onetwo see owners manual I linked earlier. All 3 engines are in there.

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
I would like to know this as well.
. . .
The illustrations and instructions for the diesel are different. See the pages after the 3.7 section of the owners manual linked above yesterday.

Whitedog, thanks for the photo. Does the top of your air filter housing fit inside the base at the bottom lip, as star gazer reported yesterday, or does it fit outside the base? From what he said I think you can look down and see this overlap area.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Thanks for the heads up Bif, I checked mine and is wet as well , I called Ford and they have no open reports on this issue, She told me to drop off my van at the dealer and have their mechanic inspect it and send the report to Ford mine is due for a oil change soon so I will have them take a look at it.

·
Registered
266 Posts
This is really disappointing...

I realize this is not the same thing (different vehicle, sales volumes, etc), but every Corvette coming off the assembly line in Kentucky spends a couple minutes in a water intrusion test chamber where massive amounts of water are sprayed on the vehicle, to discover leaks.

Seems Ford should at least be sampling every n (n= 100?) vehicles using something similar.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Update

Thanks for the heads up Bif, I checked mine and is wet as well , I called Ford and they have no open reports on this issue, She told me to drop off my van at the dealer and have their mechanic inspect it and send the report to Ford mine is due for a oil change soon so I will have them take a look at it.
Spoke with my Ford Regional Rep. today, and she assured me that engineers have a 'solution' and a TSB will likely be issued to dealers soon for remedy. I guess we wait and see. I suggest again to contact Ford with your concerns.

·
Registered
496 Posts
Spoke with my Ford Regional Rep. today, and she assured me that engineers have a 'solution' and a TSB will likely be issued to dealers soon for remedy. I guess we wait and see. I suggest again to contact Ford with your concerns.
you think this will make it on the production line as well? or is it only for those who bring this issue to the dealers attn?

My transit will be born on April 14, hope they do the fix right at the factory...

·
Registered
95 Posts
Yay!! Thanks, BIF!!! We (meaning DH) checked it Wednesday after a rain storm and yes it was draining on top of the air filter. Didn't go to the trouble of checking the filter (we have the diesel). Went to the dealer and was told to call next week for an appointment for them just to look at it. Now we can hopefully just wait.

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
you think this will make it on the production line as well? or is it only for those who bring this issue to the dealers attn?

My transit will be born on April 14, hope they do the fix right at the factory...
Highly unlikely IMO.

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
My guess is it will be a rubber seal or gasket of some type.
Doubt if a seal or gasket can be a good permanent fix for the backwards overlap of the air filter housing's top piece fitting INSIDE the raised lip of the air cleaner housing's BOTTOM base, as you identified (and confirmed by the illustrations in the owners manual). Seems like the entire housing must be redesigned for a proper weather-tight overlap. Can this be done and still fit in the space allowed for the entire assembly?

Bet the 2016 model year version looks different altogether . . .

With my Wagon coming in soon, is this a deal breaker? TBD.

·
Registered
966 Posts
It's been hectic here trying to pack and move, so I haven't studied this entire thread yet. Last night while it was raining, I lay awake and cringed at what I would find today when I checked my long tall ext T350.

When I went out this morning and inspected under the hood, there was a drop of water hanging underneath the small water catching basin mentioned earlier in this thread. That drop of water was at the location of the small reusable fastener that holds the supply line from the windshield washing fluid line that takes washer fluid to the two outlets below the windshield. (There was a bit of dirt in the basin, but the drain tube was not obstructed). Apparently, Ford engineers decided to put the fastener in the BOTTOM of the catch basin that was supposed to divert water from the area, allowing the water to leak through the fastener hole directly onto the top of the very poorly designed lid to the air cleaner, which also can allow water into the air cleaner box.

It was also obvious that water with some dirt in it had dried around the poorly designed air cleaner lid. I haven't disassembled it yet to see if my filter is wet. But at least I can try and make corrections to the leaking basin where the small reusable fastener appears to be leaking water onto the top of the filter cover.

I hope this helps.

·
Registered
966 Posts
Update..

After overcoming my worst fears, I went out and took the lid off of the air filter box. DANGIT!!!!

The filter was still damp, and water was still inside the air box. There was NO gasket whatsoever to seal the air box where the poorly designed air box lid and box meet.

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
When my salesman gets back from vacation on Wednesday, and earlier if my Wagon is already at the dealer, I plan to go in to check this out, and see what they have to say about it. The head of the service dept. is a pro, so I am especially curious to see what he has to say.

Can you seal up joints etc. in the wiper cowling above, to prevent drips, and let the drain hole there do its job? Or does everything have to be re-designed, including the top AND bottom of the air cleaner housing?

·
Registered
966 Posts
They could/should probably redesign the top, to shed water OVER the outer perimeter of the lower part of the air box. And that would solve a lot. But even with this sh]tty design, they should have AT LEAST put a water tight gasket in the where the top and bottom of the air box join together to seal it up.

As far as he catch basin, it could be sealed up better. The catch basin is actually TWO pieces. The outer 2-3 inches of it, has a very poorly designed seam that I think is the source of the leak, probably NOT the screw that I mentioned in the above post. At any rate, I'm going to take the basin apart, clean the two pieces thoroughly, and put then back together with some silicon sealant, and put a rubber washer underneath the small screw the pierces the bottom of the basin, just to attach the windshield washer fluid hose that passes underneath the catch basin.

This still doesn't fix the lack of ANY gasket material between the two halves of the air filter box housing. I wonder how much silicates have been sucked through my EB. I'm headed to the hardware store to pick up some thin foam tape, silicon sealant, and the drug store for some rubbing alcohol to clean things up before I get started.

Someone's head should roll at Ford. This is so stupid.

·
Registered
91 Posts
It's truly a poorly design air filter box by Ford, after doing some googleing, apparently the folks in Europe are having the same problem with their Transits:

http://fordtransit.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=80674.

After checking mine out and as Bif mentioned , there's a small tray on the driver side under the drain hose from the windshield tray if you will,diverting any water to the side. but no tray on the passenger side under the hose drain.
There's some electric wiring plugs on the driver's side so I guess they needed to protect them from getting wet, and they thought that the filter box its water proof so lets save some money there by not putting a water diverting tray there .

·
Registered
67 Posts
This still doesn't fix the lack of ANY gasket material between the two halves of the air filter box housing.
Shouldn't the two halves seal air-tight with the filter in-between serving as a gasket?
The forum Njhw linked to mentions people not closing the rear of the filter correctly, could that be happening here?

·
Registered
260 Posts
I've not checked mine yet, but remember reading about a similar problem when this model Transit was first released in Europe.

I had hoped they redesigned things in the U.S. version. :-(

·
Registered
95 Posts
Husband went to dealer today. There is a TSB that has actually been issued. Have some issues to get resolved from the hail storm and slider that rattles when you drive down the rode.

·
Registered
496 Posts
Husband went to dealer today. There is a TSB that has actually been issued. Have some issues to get resolved from the hail storm and slider that rattles when you drive down the rode.
BUT, BUT, BUT, *only* Sprinter people have problems with their vehicles....

*rolleyes*

I hope to helll they find a fix for this before I pick up my van next month. The last thing I need is to lose sleep everytime it rains or I take my truck through a carwash and wonder if my air filter turned into a wet sponge....

21 - 40 of 1630 Posts