Ford Transit USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's a must have, and of course it's 120V. So maybe an hour or so on the inverter, but after that it's generator/shore power time. I got all that.

What I haven't solved yet is how. I've been reading for a long time. I've seen window air conditioners out the back door. (not stealth)

I've seen the discussion on single and double tube portables. I've tried the single.... no good. And, they take up a lot of premium space.... And they're expensive which is weird as they have the same stuff in it as the window AC

Then there's roof AC's which are even more money and not stealth at all.....

At this point I intend to take the housing off the portable I have and seeing if I can reduce it's size and put it in a dedicated space with the walls being ducting.... separate the house and outside flow (a la two tube) In the back in the cargo bay....

And I'm looking at this:

https://www.summitracing.com/search/part-type/air-conditioning-kits

Not cheap at all, but it could be worked into smaller spaces, with the cooler under the floor. I would need an electro motor to run the compressor.... Has anyone tried this?

All in all, I am not finding an elegant solution. What I would really like is a very small split system..... There's a video of a dude splitting a window AC.....

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I can get a hold of an evacuation setup.

Here's another thought I had.... In boats I've dealt with marine air. Compressor and evaporator on one mount, inside, and the thing is cooled with sea water and a circulation pump. One could mount a radiator under the van with a big fan......

·
Registered
864 Posts
Well I stopped reading at two Tesla batteries. Holy **** that guy dropped some $!

Oscar I would like to see how you work this out. I forget where but someone here found a 12v AC unit. Big rig systems made by Dometic are split systems.

I did a bunch of research - turns out I can't afford AC lol. My best plan is to build a 12v powered cooler full of ice with a fan built in thingy.

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
Yeah, I've seen the arctic breeze.... the inside part is cool (haha) but the outside box is too large......
that is just the compressor/electric motor/evaporator box, you still have to find a home for 6 or 8 AGM batteries!

and it is also just one of several battery operated AC systems out there for sale for use in heavy trucks. last year i saw a 12 volt DC mini-split on ebay that took up a lot less room also being marketed for trucks.

here is the only other link i have:

https://cicionisprinter.com/transit/

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
Like Eiko mentioned, I would think that a cheap window unit could be disassembled and the hot part (Compressor/Condenser/Fan) mounted in a cavity underneath, with the fan/evaporator in the passenger area. Plumb the connecting tubes and wire it into your inverter/shore power, then be chillin' like a villain.

Some of the smallest window units only pull about 100W AC. So, fairly efficient, all considered. Still, a hefty load on the batteries.

A cool idea, nonetheless. har har

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Well, Spring is springing so all of our elusive cheap, simple and effective heat threads will transition over to the perpetual quest for cheap, simple and effective air conditioning. I'm with you Oscarvan but there is no good solution. I like stealth as well but I also like air conditioning. Actually if I could just get rid of ALL humidity in the van that would be good enough.

It's not elegant or stealth but I plan on butchering one of my rear doors this year and putting a window unit that I already have in it. They are absolutely a give away at Walmart, like $150 for 5500btu's of craptastic, disposable Chinese cold air. A replacement rear door (luckily my van is dime-a-dozen white) will also be on my list and I already have a Honda 2000 watt generator. I don't want to do any of this but I live and work during the week and am all over the country.

If you've seen the old GTRV rear door window units this is what I'm talking about. They really don't look bad at all IMO but my wife begs to differ. For some reason she is of the opinion that any window unit anywhere looks positively ghetto. This is probably one of the biggest reasons we also own a motorhome.

Another thing that I'm actually considering is just idling the van (mine has rear AC) while I sleep. I don't like the idea of such wear and tear on everything in the hot engine bay but it's not an expensive proposition for a good night's sleep. The Transit only uses about .6 gallons of fuel per hour at idle.

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
86Scotty, I remember seeing a van build thread where someone put a window unit in a cabinet inside the van near the ceiling. They made a sealed insulation barrier around the unit at the point between the hot and cold sections. Then, vented the condenser's hot air out a vent to the roof. The vented space drew air from beneath the van (ala Orton's fridge venting) up behind both a fridge and the AC unit and out the top.

·
Registered
3,388 Posts
86Scotty, I remember seeing a van build thread where someone put a window unit in a cabinet inside the van near the ceiling. They made a sealed insulation barrier around the unit at the point between the hot and cold sections. Then, vented the condenser's hot air out a vent to the roof. The vented space drew air from beneath the van (ala Orton's fridge venting) up behind both a fridge and the AC unit and out the top.
oh yeah, there were at least two people I think. Maybe one was on the ProMaster forum. One was here. I think both had their units mounted on floor. Maybe it was all on the PM forum. They went nuts on the science of airflow in that thread.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Seems like I saw some factory teardrop trailers at the RV show last year that had a small ac unit built into the inside. But.....how about one of the low profile AC units that are less than 10” (I think) surrounded by a roof rack, which I think would disguise it pretty well.

·
Registered
2,282 Posts
If you use a window unit buy several when you buy. They do not hold up under highway use, been there done that. In both a truck camper and a popup.
The reason to buy several is you can pretty much guarantee when you need another it will NOT be the exact same size as the one you made the hole for. Been there done that too!

·
Registered
444 Posts
There is a video of a Transit? with a cargo hatch on the driver's side. You open the hatch and slide the window unit out. Just a thought.

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
OK..... I have now determined that I will do everything I can to split a window unit, and I will properly document it so you can all copy it. It's personal now!

On edit.... I may deploy a secret weapon. My buddy Mike is 1 Nuts like me, 2 A licensed HVAC guy. ...... I threw the bait, he's in. This will be happening beginning of April. Maybe I'll do a few of these..... I mean at $149.99 what's the risk?

1 - 20 of 74 Posts