Ford Transit USA Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any recommendations for a good aftermarket, class III hitch and wiring? I've got a 2018 Transit T150. Thanks

·
Registered
4,851 Posts
on Ebay the regular name brands seem to be around $200 with the wiring kit. I don't know if one is gooder than another, they have the same ratings. I need to get one at some point, too.

·
Registered
4,851 Posts
Ok, I finally got around to buying a receiver ($110 delivered).
Wiring:
Yes, I know there are plug and play kits for $50.
Delivery seems to be very close to when I'm leaving and I might not get it on time . For some reason the heavy, big receiver is only a couple days shipping...but harness is a couple weeks.

Has anyone CONFIRMED through trial and error that the old-skool method of tapping into the brake and tail lights for a 4-pin connector will "mess up" the Transit electronics, or is that just speculation and hearsay?

·
Registered
4,851 Posts
Sorry, I should have prefaced that I DID search, but there were no comments about people who tried and failed. Just comments about modern vehicles in general. Did I say that I tried searching?

·
Registered
1,914 Posts
There are about 30 threads that tell you why you should not hook your trailer lights directly to the tail lights, The BCM has small fuses for the Transit tail lights. (25 Watts a bulb I think?)
But many people in forum threads said they had no problems with the Etrailer converter box which connects to the Transit tail light plugs.
Here is a thread from one guy who had a burnt up BCM from wiring in to the Transit tail lights, It is unclear whether U-haul wired the trailer lights direct or used a converter box.

https://www.fordtransitusaforum.com/towing/57345-hitch-wiring-causes-bcm-failure.html

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
On my first Transit, I tapped into the reverse light wire for something and the van never blew up.
The CAN bus does not magically monitor every wire that may be tapped, just some.

Since no one has shared their wire tapping results with us, you should take one for the team and try the old school way then report back to us!:nerd:

·
Registered
4,851 Posts
I may give it a try and share my results!
If it does make stuff go haywire, I'll just put relays inline. That's all the "plug and play" kits are anyway, a little box with IC relays. And the plugs so you don't have to get your hands dirty splicing wires.

On second thought, I should probably just start with the relays. There were issues in the old Sprinters of add-on wiring destroying the ECU, requiring replacement.

Now, I'm wondering if I have a a "trailer prep" harness already installed. Some vehicles automatically come with extraneous wiring because it's easier to manufacture using a single harness for all models regardless of installed options.

·
Registered
1,914 Posts
I may give it a try and share my results!
If it does make stuff go haywire, I'll just put relays inline. That's all the "plug and play" kits are anyway, a little box with IC relays. And the plugs so you don't have to get your hands dirty splicing wires.

On second thought, I should probably just start with the relays. There were issues in the old Sprinters of add-on wiring destroying the ECU, requiring replacement.

Now, I'm wondering if I have a a "trailer prep" harness already installed. Some vehicles automatically come with extraneous wiring because it's easier to manufacture using a single harness for all models regardless of installed options.
The converter boxes work because they receive power for the trailer lights with a direct connection to the Transit battery, They are not powered by the Transit tail lights, They only receive a signal from the Transit tail lights.

As far as using the Transit wiring for trailer lights without the factory installed trailer tow package it is a huge pain in the butt, Get the Etrailer converter box!

The best Transit use the pre-existing wiring thread:
https://www.fordtransitusaforum.com/towing/10274-installing-tow-trailer-hitch-wiring-harness-33.html

·
Registered
3 Posts
no problems noticed

When I installed an aftermarket hitch on my 2015 T250 I also used an E-trailer converter that drew power from +12v. The converter failed after couple years. I had to pull a trailer the next day so I rewired the trailer connector with taps into the harness. I've always meant to get another converter, but it's been a couple years now and nothing bad has happened.

·
Registered
4,851 Posts
Thanks Jimmy, that's the hands-on, real-world experience I wanted to hear.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts