Ford Transit USA Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After installing plywood subfloor and floor - I have some gaps left between the wall and floor.
Floor is not screwed down.
Should I use some expanding foam to fill those?
Any advice is welcome

·
Registered
7,527 Posts
Foam backer rod. Comes in a lot of diameters.
Silicone caulking. Easy to apply, waterproof and mold resistant. Will secure ply to walls but remain flexible.
Spray Foam. Big effing mess, will also secure ply to walls.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I used silicone. Seems to do the trick. I'd get it in a color other than white though, maybe grey to match your floor.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
hm based on gaps I might need 100s of dollars of silicone only.. also not sure if its good to have 1 inch of silicone in some areas..

·
Registered
2,535 Posts
hm based on gaps I might need 100s of dollars of silicone only.. also not sure if its good to have 1 inch of silicone in some areas..
That's what the backer rod is for. It's basically foam rope to fill in the space so you don't need a sh!tload of caulking.

·
Registered
7,527 Posts
Backing rod PLUS silicone in the big gaps. The bigger gaps like shown around the wheel well should just have another small piece of flooring cut and dropped in there, secured by silicone.

Reactions: sardox

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

·
Registered
87 Posts
i used the cheapest 100% silicone I could buy. It has held up to some spills and plumbing leaks. i used clear

·
Registered
511 Posts
Used spray foam at first. The amount of squeaking was unreal. Cut all that out and replaced with clear silicon. Used kitchen and bath silicon. Had less smell than the exterior/interior all use type.

·
Registered
2,535 Posts
any sealant would work? like this
Dynaflex 230 10.1 oz. Almond Premium Exterior/Interior Window, Door and Trim Sealant ?

100% silicone will stay more pliable over time which will be better given how the van will flex.
GE makes it in colors. It's a couple of bucks more the one you posted.

·
Registered
35 Posts
We used some of the spray foam designed for door and window frames to fill the gaps, less pressure on the pieces. As noted above, painter tape was really helpful for keeping it off surfaces we didn't want it on. A loose hacksaw blade made for really easy leveling with the plywood subfloor.

·
Registered
458 Posts
But wait, floor is NOT screwed down? Is it glued down?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts