Ford Transit USA Forum banner

Adventure Wagon materials

4685 23
I'm inclined to get the Adventure Wagon kit, but I would like to know more about the materials.
I have ordered the materials sample, but I thought I'd ask impressions from others who have used AW.

My concerns include VoCs, isocyanurate foams, formaldehyde (from glues), vinyl, and similar.

Did you get the upholstered panels, the bamboo, laminate, or bare wood? Impressions?

I'm also interested in how people have dealt with cutting holes in the panels for windows, floor vents, water and electrical inlets and outlets.

And how have people built shower drains: do you cut out the AW floor and build up a pan, or do you put pan and drain on top of the floor?

Is the insulation and noise damping adequate? Or did you add more?

How squeaky is it in motion: both after the install, and 10,000 miles later?

Thanks
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

· Registered
11 Posts
I'm inclined to get the Adventure Wagon kit, but I would like to know more about the materials.
I have ordered the materials sample, but I thought I'd ask impressions from others who have used AW.

My concerns include VoCs, isocyanurate foams, formaldehyde (from glues), vinyl, and similar. No odors that I noticed but I was in a friend's van while my Sprinter was being repaired so I can't speak to any smells when brand new.

Did you get the upholstered panels, the bamboo, laminate, or bare wood? Impressions? He had a mix of upholstered walls and bamboo on the center ceiling. Finish quality was top notch. We're thinking about the same, but with their Black Hex laminate on the rearmost lower panels in the "garage" area.

I'm also interested in how people have dealt with cutting holes in the panels for windows, floor vents, water and electrical inlets and outlets. AdWag is still working on the final treatment of the front window area (right behind the driver) but my hope is that it will function the same as the Sprinter. If they don't make a specific finished trim, we'll likely buy their "wall pocket" panel for the space and custom cut a trim ring to finish the edge. I personally don't like the look of a flat wall panel with a really deep inset trim ring on that window. The Sprinter didn't have this issue since the vertical ribs were not as deep as the Transit.

And how have people built shower drains: do you cut out the AW floor and build up a pan, or do you put pan and drain on top of the floor? Can't comment from personal experience but I've seen it done mostly over a floor to maintain some insulation from the floor.

Is the insulation and noise damping adequate? Or did you add more? I plan on buying a few extra yards of insulation to fill any nooks and crannies, voids within support beams etc. We did this on our old van and it made a difference. As visual test, while parked next to a van in a ski lot you could see exactly where they had insulation gaps with the snow melt / condensation from their heat loss. Made me feel good about all the skinned knuckles from cramming Thinsulate into tight spots...

How squeaky is it in motion: both after the install, and 10,000 miles later? The van I borrowed didn't seem to have any squeaks. Having seen the AdWag kit partially installed at Expo, I can tell you that the support pieces are beefy and fit tight to the van body.

Thanks
Based on my experience with their Sprinter version, I ordered their new kit for the Transit. I've added responses to your questions above for the ones I can answer (hopefully this posts correctly - I'm new on here :)... Hope this helps - Trent

· Premium Member
1,515 Posts
We offer Thinsulate insulation and minicell floor insulation kits at a much better price than Adwag. Their interior panels and bed system are cool but we can save you money on insulation and other not so visible items.

Thinsulate has no offgassing. Minicell foam does have a smell to it but it dissipates quckly and you won't notice it once your floor is on top.

All the best,
Hein
DIYvan

· Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes. It was very good, if a lot of work.
If you get the bamboo panel option, it may squeak when warm. I used 1/8" foam rubber behind it. The cloth covered panels are just a tad thicker.
I ended up ordering quite a bit more similar bamboo ply (1/2") from CaliBamboo for furniture (on an 80/20 frame). Arthur Green <[email protected]>.
I had some difficulty relocating the DS wiring harness, until I bit the bullet and extended 3 ground cables in the DS driver pillar. Probably a side-effect of having the cargo a/c in the rear.

· Registered
294 Posts
@NeilHunt Did you end up ordering a kit from AW. My material sample kit just got sent out. I am planning on doing having an AW kit installed this year.
We had AdWag install their kit for us last June on a 148 HR. Bamboo on ceiling, slider door and wall behind galley. Pocketed walls for bed area. With all that and MOAB bed + 2 Mule bags we spent right at $24K, yet with no sales tax or freight saved almost $3K. If you want window behind driver's seat get pocketed panel. We like it solid with Bamboo as that is where the galley is. No squeaks or smells at all.

Did the floor first (using minicell frim Hein)and very glad we did. Very important to keep AT LEAST 1/2 to 3/4" gap from walls. Also would keep some extra space around D-ring behind driver's seat if you need to attach a ground cable there. We used a Mannington Paradigm II vinyl that needed no glue and glad we did as I had to lift it at that spot to use a hole saw to make space at that D-ring.

· Registered
2021 R2X EcoB Adv prep, Avalanche
53 Posts
Last fall/ early winter we installed the AdWag kit in our 2021 R2X. Materials quality is very good, but it's a major DIY undertaking to do the install well the first time out. Takes some skill, tools and confidence. Agree on adding something on the back of bamboo panels where they engage L track to fill the space and prevent rattles. The kit doesn't include it, but they have recommendedself-adhesive thin felt weatherstripping around the edges if fit or rattles are issues. We got all the thermo-formed panels for bunk and galley areas. If you'll install windows in those areas, the panels should come bare plastic, with the fabric and insulation separate to install after the windows are in place and the panels cut out. The whole project does seem to entail some glues, solvents and fumes as there may not be any "green" functional equivalents. But the kit goes into a new vehicle, and that's probably where most of the environmental impact comes from.

· Vendor
11 Posts
Hey all - In response to some questions in this thread regarding windows, we wanted to let everyone know that AdWag is now offering window install kits that include everything you need to install CRL or AMA bunk windows. The panel has pre-cut hole in it, and the kit comes with a stencil to cut the appropriate hole in your van without measuring. More info can be found here:

Grille Rectangle Grey Wall Material property

Take care everyone!

· Registered
3 Posts
@Adventure Wagon I was wondering what guidance you have for creating a DIY floor system compatible with your Transit wall kits? Specifically, should the floor be installed first, and should any tolerances with respect to the wall panels be taken into account (e.g. do the wall panels run all the way to the factory metal floor)?
Thanks!

· Vendor
11 Posts
@Adventure Wagon I was wondering what guidance you have for creating a DIY floor system compatible with your Transit wall kits? Specifically, should the floor be installed first, and should any tolerances with respect to the wall panels be taken into account (e.g. do the wall panels run all the way to the factory metal floor)?
Thanks!
Hello! Thanks for reaching out. Ideally the floor should be installed before the AdWag Interior System.
There is 3/4" inch of wiggle room between the factory metal subfloor and the bottom of our panels. If you do go over this amount, you can shave down the bottom of the lower panels to make things fit, although that may require some re-upholstering. In regards to guidance on a DIY floor system, there are tons of Youtube videos out there that go over building out a subfloor system and adding floor covering on top! Hope this all helps!

· Registered
3 Posts
Great to know! Apologies, I didn’t mean how to build the actual floor. I was inquiring more about if we make a DIY floor and use your wall kit, what, if any, considerations should be made.
So, floor in first but not to exceed 3/4” without a channel to receive the wall or by modifying the lower wall panel.
Do you recommend mechanically fastening / using an adhesive to join the walls to the floor or is it better to have them float near each other? Personal preference?
Really love your products and general attitude towards the DIY community!

· Registered
294 Posts
Interesting....when I booked my appointment in Portland for AdWag to do my install they preferred me to do floor later. And I agreed initially, yet the more I thought about it and after consulting one of their Premier installers I put it in using the DIY Van minicell and 5/8" Baltic Birch. AdWag had me send photos... I held the perimeter back 1/2"- and 3/4" would be safer with no downside. Glad I did that beforehand for sure.

· Vendor
11 Posts
Great to know! Apologies, I didn’t mean how to build the actual floor. I was inquiring more about if we make a DIY floor and use your wall kit, what, if any, considerations should be made.
So, floor in first but not to exceed 3/4” without a channel to receive the wall or by modifying the lower wall panel.
Do you recommend mechanically fastening / using an adhesive to join the walls to the floor or is it better to have them float near each other? Personal preference?
Really love your products and general attitude towards the DIY community!
Yep, that's correct! If you wanted a thicker floor you could either shave down the lower panels, or leave a gap between the floor and the wall so the wall panels fit down in between the wall and the floor.
People generally just float the wall over the floor. The lower wall panels are secured by the L-Track and a few set screws, which should eliminate any rubbing or rattling.

· Registered
2020 Ford Transit 350 Extended High Roof
65 Posts

My concerns include VoCs, isocyanurate foams, formaldehyde (from glues), vinyl, and similar.

Did you get the upholstered panels, the bamboo, laminate, or bare wood? Impressions?

I'm also interested in how people have dealt with cutting holes in the panels for windows, floor vents, water and electrical inlets and outlets.

And how have people built shower drains: do you cut out the AW floor and build up a pan, or do you put pan and drain on top of the floor?

Is the insulation and noise damping adequate? Or did you add more?

How squeaky is it in motion: both after the install, and 10,000 miles later?

Thanks
I am getting a bare bones kit in a week or so. no upholstery or glue. But i am going to upholster all of them at PerfectFIT who supplies similar glue and fabric Marathon Tweed.

As far as the wood i am not sure. but you can see from my last few videos where i took a tour thru Adventure wagon and Perfect fit and get an idea of what they are.

hope you can glean a little info from here

· Registered
65 Posts
I am getting a bare bones kit in a week or so. no upholstery or glue. But i am going to upholster all of them at PerfectFIT who supplies them with all their glue and fabric Marathon Tweed.

As far as the wood i am not sure. but you can see from my last few videos where i took a tour thru Adventure wagon and Perfect fit and get an idea of what they are.

i didnt realize this OP was so long ago.. but stil this might be useful for some people.

· Premium Member
2021 R2X high roof long carbonized gray - TURBOCHARGED!
766 Posts
I think the majority of YouTube videos are a waste of time because they just draw people out way too long for not a lot of content.

But your AdWag tour was excellent - well produced and worth watching. Thanks for doing that and glad AdWag agreed to do it - they need more PR like that.

I am getting a bare bones kit in a week or so. no upholstery or glue. But i am going to upholster all of them at PerfectFIT who supplies similar glue and fabric Marathon Tweed.

· Vendor
11 Posts
Interesting....when I booked my appointment in Portland for AdWag to do my install they preferred me to do floor later. And I agreed initially, yet the more I thought about it and after consulting one of their Premier installers I put it in using the DIY Van minicell and 5/8" Baltic Birch. AdWag had me send photos... I held the perimeter back 1/2"- and 3/4" would be safer with no downside. Glad I did that beforehand for sure.
For factory installs, we generally prefer vans come in with no previous work having been done. This helps us more accurately schedule the build time and eliminates surprise modifications. In your case it sounds like pictures were provided beforehand and things went smoothly.
But in general, it's not a big deal to do the floor after the walls are put in, you just have to remove the lower panels and reinstall them after the floor is finished.

· Registered
65 Posts
I think the majority of YouTube videos are a waste of time because they just draw people out way too long for not a lot of content.

But your AdWag tour was excellent - well produced and worth watching. Thanks for doing that and glad AdWag agreed to do it - they need more PR like that.
Really glad you feel that way. YouTube is a strange place where drama and clickbait are king. Short punchy videos and content. I have to sort of dip into it a lot just to try to turn eyes to the channel. But for the most part is am just a really excited guy who appreciates creativity and entrepreneurship. And there is so much of that in this vanlife industry. It’s like an adult kid in a candy store. Thanks!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.