Ford Transit USA Forum banner
21 - 40 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Cargo T-350 LWB HR EB on order...
339 Posts
It sounds like some pro installers have been able to work around the PSD equipment using the standard AW frames and panels. As far as I know, AW has not put out any guidelines on how to accomplish it. The issues involve a larger bump on the bottom of the passenger side "C" pillar and some additional wiring over the sliding door. In any case, as I said, "slight hiccup". Don't let it stop you.

I'm sure that AW will see the popularity of the PSD and put out install instructions to accommodate that option before too long.
Great! Thanks for the detailed feedback.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Thanks for the review! I am looking at this kit as well to get my van ready as quick as possible and this seems like the best solution for me. How long did it take from initial order to arriving at your door? I'm still deciding on getting the kit so I can have the van ready for spring/summer adventures. Did you get the MOAB System as well? I'm likely going to order that before I order the kit, or at least the MOAB will likely arrive first.
Howdy Cyrull. Just wondering if you ordered your Adventure wagon kit? Which "options" did you order and what was the cost? Did you order from Nomad Vanz? Curious because I'm in Calgary and wondering how the process is for us Canadians. Thanks

·
Registered
185 Posts
Howdy Cyrull. Just wondering if you ordered your Adventure wagon kit? Which "options" did you order and what was the cost? Did you order from Nomad Vanz? Curious because I'm in Calgary and wondering how the process is for us Canadians. Thanks
Hey there, I did not order the Adventure Wagon Kit yet, I think I am going to hold off until they figure out the PSD.

While Nomad Vanz is their Canadian distributor, my communication with them hasn't been great. After two months and 16 e-mails back and forth I have elected to contact Adventure Wagon directly (today actually) and requested quote to ship to BC for the MOAB System. I'm in a bit of time crunch to get the van ready for this summer so that is my driving force for most of my decisions. Whoever gets to me quickest gets my business even if its cost prohibitive. Feel free to direct message me as I don't want to de-rail this thread.

Another option you may want to consider is Wilderness Vans. They are in Lethbridge, they use to advertise something like the AdWag Kit but I don't see it on their website anymore so you might need to call and inquire. I haven't done any business with them yet but my interactions with them have been top notch.

Cheers.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hey All - I completed the A-frame installation over the weekend. The overhead wall steel in the mid section of the van is very very hard to drill. But other than that, the kit is a thing of beauty. Instructions were super thorough and even have a couple tips and tricks that came in super handy at time. Just thought I’d drop a couple pics here for anyone thinking about this.

I’m still awaiting my tracks. Went for the black anodized and that’s taking longer. But going to embark on insulation this weekend. View attachment 145661 View attachment 145662
Thanks for the great pics of the AW build in progress. I ordered my kit a couple of weeks ago and Hailey at AW told me 10-12 weeks wait time FWIW.

I have two questions and I would like input from folks who have installed Adventure Wagon kits in the 148HR Cargo:

1. Since I will be building out the insulated sub-floor/floor prior to the AW interior install, I want to think about how the floor will "play nicely" with the walls of the AW kit. My goal would be for the floor to be flush with the interior walls. What is the ideal height of the floor that I build on top of the cargo floor? If the floor is too high, would you have to trim the kick panels? I was thinking of doing a minicell kit that Hein sells at DIY Van.

2. For RORO shipping, most van owners build a partition/bulkhead between the cab and the living quarters to prevent theft of personal belongings. I want to build a temporary partition (bulkhead) when we are in Panama before we ship our Transit HR through the Darien Gap to Colombia. Any ideas for how to build a temporary partition with the AW kit installed? Would I attach to the L-track? I envision mounting plywood sourced locally and/or steel bars and/or heavy duty wire.

Thanks in advance. If there is a better thread to re-post, I'll take suggestions, but this was where I landed after a community search.

Cheers!

·
Registered
208 Posts
2. For RORO shipping, most van owners build a partition/bulkhead between the cab and the living quarters to prevent theft of personal belongings. I want to build a temporary partition (bulkhead) when we are in Panama before we ship our Transit HR through the Darien Gap to Colombia. Any ideas for how to build a temporary partition with the AW kit installed? Would I attach to the L-track? I envision mounting plywood sourced locally and/or steel bars and/or heavy duty wire.
It sounds like thieves will be able to gain access anyway, so any partition would only serve as a visual obstruction.

·
Registered
18 Posts
It sounds like thieves will be able to gain access anyway, so any partition would only serve as a visual obstruction.
I have heard reports from people who have built the partitions and have shipped RORO multiple times without incident. I would only install the partition for the shipping, and would travel the rest of the time without the partition. I'm looking for a plan for how to construct a temporary partition with the AW kit in situ, probably once I get to Panama so that I don't have to carry partition materials with me for the rest of the Pan American Highway. I would also remove the fuse for the central locks, put a contractor-style hasp lock on the rear doors (to stash most of my stuff in the garage area under the bed) and take out the folding bikes and laptops and check those on the airplane as baggage.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Thanks for the great pics of the AW build in progress. I ordered my kit a couple of weeks ago and Hailey at AW told me 10-12 weeks wait time FWIW.

I have two questions and I would like input from folks who have installed Adventure Wagon kits in the 148HR Cargo:

1. Since I will be building out the insulated sub-floor/floor prior to the AW interior install, I want to think about how the floor will "play nicely" with the walls of the AW kit. My goal would be for the floor to be flush with the interior walls. What is the ideal height of the floor that I build on top of the cargo floor? If the floor is too high, would you have to trim the kick panels? I was thinking of doing a minicell kit that Hein sells at DIY Van.

Thanks in advance. If there is a better thread to re-post, I'll take suggestions, but this was where I landed after a community search.

Cheers!
Any aftermarket floor is going to require you to pull back the fabric, trim the panels, and reapply w/ 3M 90 or equivalent. Unless you build your floor after and within the panel footprint.

Not sure how to answer your second question. You'll only have l-track on the driver side. For the most part I think you'll be in custom territory here.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I just emailed Hailey at AW this weekend to ask if they could fabricate the panels to match my floor thickness. She responded this morning saying that can leave upholstery at the bottom of the panel unglued so that it is easier to trim the panel and then you can glue to fabric after you trim the edge. I am also planning on the minicell route.

·
Premium Member
2021 R2X high roof long carbonized gray - TURBOCHARGED!
577 Posts
That's good news - we're doing the SmartFloor so this thread had me concerned about how that was going to fit together.

Though one thing I loved about the AW kit was the 'just bolt it all together' aspect, but with four windows, roof hatch, and now the floor, there aren't going to be many fully finished panels they send me. LOL

·
Registered
6 Posts
Awesome to see/read everyone’s progress. I pick up my kit in a couple of weeks :). I have a Happijac lift bed to install once the AW base is in place so.... yeah... we’ll see how that works out 😳.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Mine showed up yesterday after making it half way across the country. Now if the van that I ordered 2 months before the kit shows up I will be ready to roll!

·
Premium Member
577 Posts
Mine arrived Friday (went via air to Chicago, then sat somewhere six days until the scheduled delivery date).

Open that thing up!! It's like 1/3 empty so you can at least start sorting through things and putting all the smaller boxes out of the way. Also, if you're not going to use it, post on your local freebie group to see if anyone wants the cardboard - some teacher grabbed all mine for her classes and was elated. Less crap to the recycler.

AdWag really needs a forum for their customers to interact - so many simple questions that I have to ask them about which others could easily answer.

Mine showed up yesterday after making it half way across the country. Now if the van that I ordered 2 months before the kit shows up I will be ready to roll!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Open that thing up!! It's like 1/3 empty so you can at least start sorting through things and putting all the smaller boxes out of the way. Also, if you're not going to use it, post on your local freebie group to see if anyone wants the cardboard - some teacher grabbed all mine for her classes and was elated. Less crap to the recycler.
I am going to dive into it shortly and start staging items in my basement. I don't think the one car garage will cut it. The midwestern snow put a bit of a damper on unpacking yesterday.
Good idea on the cardboard. That also worked well with my old moving boxes.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Am hoping to pick up my completed van today from Adventure Wagon; they started the install Monday. Am going with the pocketed rear side panels and this AM got a call about the Power Sliding Door wart. They agreed it wasn't structural so instead of them reworking the panel and have that bump out I authoized them to cut it out.

Will post after pick up more details; the experience with them thus far has bee outstanding and am glad they now do installs.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
577 Posts
Glad I stumbled across this update (the forum didn't email me like it's supposed to - I just randomly searched "Adventure Wagon" for the first time in months). We're at the hush mat installation step and didn't know if we do the bottom part - but they did yours.

The kit is pretty cool so far but the instructions are lacking in a lot of places. Like, do you hush mat the bottom area? Most are things that are easy to figure out but a few have been odd oversights on their part.

We're about 85% done. Drilling the orange A frame was the worst.

Am hoping to pick up my completed van today from Adventure Wagon; they started the install Monday. Am going with the pocketed rear side panels and this AM got a call about the Power Sliding Door wart. They agreed it wasn't structural so instead of them reworking the panel and have that bump out I authoized them to cut it out.

Will post after pick up more details; the experience with them thus far has bee outstanding and am glad they now do installs.

·
Registered
137 Posts
AdWag really needs a forum for their customers to interact - so many simple questions that I have to ask them about which others could easily answer.
For sure. Their install instructions are really lacking - somewhat incomprehensible that they do not have a good end-user forum.

·
Premium Member
577 Posts
Hahaha - you took the words out of my mouth. I asked several times for them to do a simple Facebook group, which seems super easy to admin. Let us chat amongst each other on tips/tricks!

They said they're working on another solution (which I can't imagine will be any good).

I thought their instructions were excellent... until I actually started the build. The ONE sheet they include said don't use power tools; use hand tools only. Aside from that sheet with a handful of notes, nothing else is written about installing their double pallet $10k+ kit.

For sure. Their install instructions are really lacking - somewhat incomprehensible that they do not have a good end-user forum.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
My wife and I watched the videos. It occasionally was confusing but we thought they were adequate. 🤷‍♂️

21 - 40 of 73 Posts