Ford Transit USA Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

I currently have a Vanagon Westfalia that I've been very pleased with. However it's starting to show it's age with rust all over, and it would be nice to upgrade to something big enough to have a rudimentary indoor shower.

After evaluating other options I really like the look of the Transit LWB high roof XLT wagon. Through my employer I can get it below invoice. I see there is offered an "RV prep package" which looks to be just what I'm looking for.

On the Vanagon I've enjoyed a lot of mechanical projects like a conversion engine, upgraded suspension, etc. I would like a new project and making my own interior would be a lot of fun.

Here are my open questions:
1. Is the "RV prep package" available to individuals? Or just big conversion companies?

2. The RV package is "late availability". From what I can gather that means it will be "Job 2" and probably built near the end of the year?

3. Does the "AC prep package" include a rear evaporator/fan? Or just stubbed out fittings?

4. How will the LWB be on secondary roads? I don't do wheeling but I do venture into the forest often. It's obviously much longer than my Vanagon.

5. Should I get the 3.73 or 3.31 R&P? If I went 3.73 along with larger tires it might somewhat mitigate the previous question. But either way 3.73 will be worse MPG.

6. How about the limited slip differential? Should I get this or should I just go with aftermarket? I have a clutch LSD in my Subaru, but I almost think a Eaton Truetrac would be better. My VW had EDL which used the brakes as a poor man's LSD. I assume the Ford does not have this?

7. Are the Ford leather seats comfortable and durable? I had a VW with black leather and my back was always sweaty in the summer.

Feel free to answer any questions or offer opinions. I'll also post up what the dealer has to say, when I get a chance to make it into one.

·
Registered
5,152 Posts
Hi guys,

I currently have a Vanagon Westfalia that I've been very pleased with. However it's starting to show it's age with rust all over, and it would be nice to upgrade to something big enough to have a rudimentary indoor shower.

After evaluating other options I really like the look of the Transit LWB high roof XLT wagon. Through my employer I can get it below invoice. I see there is offered an "RV prep package" which looks to be just what I'm looking for.

On the Vanagon I've enjoyed a lot of mechanical projects like a conversion engine, upgraded suspension, etc. I would like a new project and making my own interior would be a lot of fun.

Here are my open questions:
1. Is the "RV prep package" available to individuals? Or just big conversion companies?

2. The RV package is "late availability". From what I can gather that means it will be "Job 2" and probably built near the end of the year?

3. Does the "AC prep package" include a rear evaporator/fan? Or just stubbed out fittings?

4. How will the LWB be on secondary roads? I don't do wheeling but I do venture into the forest often. It's obviously much longer than my Vanagon.

5. Should I get the 3.73 or 3.31 R&P? If I went 3.73 along with larger tires it might somewhat mitigate the previous question. But either way 3.73 will be worse MPG.

6. How about the limited slip differential? Should I get this or should I just go with aftermarket? I have a clutch LSD in my Subaru, but I almost think a Eaton Truetrac would be better. My VW had EDL which used the brakes as a poor man's LSD. I assume the Ford does not have this?

7. Are the Ford leather seats comfortable and durable? I had a VW with black leather and my back was always sweaty in the summer.

Feel free to answer any questions or offer opinions. I'll also post up what the dealer has to say, when I get a chance to make it into one.

Noted your Santa Rosa address. I live in Occidental and have a 144" WB 08 Sprinter converted to a camper with a usable indoor shower. Build is documented on the Sprinter-Source as "orton-DIY". Search for details.

I plan on replacing the Sprinter with a gas powered Transit and build another conversion. My plan is to purchase a 148" WB high roof Transit with a 3.7 non-turbo gas engine which requires the 4.11 rear end. I will buy the limited slip. May add larger diameter tires in the future.

The RV prep package does not fit what I want for an RV conversion. The "late availability" seems to be related to the rear heating prep or complete package. Every option that has the rear heating is labeled "late".

The Sprinter is OK on back roads. The main limitation is the height.
We are both attempting to specify a vehicle for similar use and live close by so we should meet to compare notes. I have the completed Sprinter that would give you some build ideas and a list of 100 items for changes or improved on for the next conversion.

Dave

·
Registered
5,152 Posts
The way I documented the build was to start a new post for each part of the build. So I have posts like "orton DIY - floor, orton DIY - electrical to distribution, orton DIY- roof rack etc. Can not link to one place for all the information. Best just to go to Sprinter-Source and search for "orton DIY". You might have join the site to search.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Noted your Santa Rosa address. I live in Occidental and have a 144" WB 08 Sprinter converted to a camper with a usable indoor shower. Build is documented on the Sprinter-Source as "orton-DIY". Search for details.
Thanks for your thoughts, you've done a great job. I would love to check it out, I'll send you a PM.

I plan on replacing the Sprinter with a gas powered Transit and build another conversion. My plan is to purchase a 148" WB high roof Transit with a 3.7 non-turbo gas engine which requires the 4.11 rear end. I will buy the limited slip. May add larger diameter tires in the future.
Yeah I certainly want some kind of LSD. I'm planning on the twin turbo, so the 4.11 is not an option. I read about the clutch LSD wearing out quickly in the F150s. The Truetrac is a Torsen type LSD so it shouldn't wear as quickly.

The RV prep package does not fit what I want for an RV conversion. The "late availability" seems to be related to the rear heating prep or complete package. Every option that has the rear heating is labeled "late".
Various options aside, I guess the main difference between the van and the wagon are the rear windows; I could see how no windows is better for stealth camping. But I am spoiled with the panoramic view in the Vanagon. The wagon+RV prep gets you the windows without the rear seats. The wagon also seems to have more luxury options with the XLT package.

The Sprinter is OK on back roads. The main limitation is the height.
This last weekend I was out in the Vanagon thinking of how the Transit would do. Yes with the taller Transit I would get a lot of "pinstriping" up top. I've seen people do a RhinoLiner coating on the roof, maybe something like this (color-matched) would not look too bad.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Rpress - in the same situation as you are. Currently have an 86 VW Westy and am in process of upgrading to Transit T-350 LWB EB. Primary use will be a full-time camper with platform bed and under-bed storage for MtB, packrafts, and other toys.

I ordered the ecoboost w/ 3.31 LSD. It was less than $300, and considering 4wd/suspension upgrade in long term, so didn't want to expend much resource in the meantime. From Vanagon experience, it seems that any LSD would be a huge benefit for any off-highway driving. Gotta get dirty to find the good camp zones :)

Attachments

1 - 6 of 6 Posts