Ford Transit USA Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have a Bosch 3000T 4 gallon water heater in a 250 build.
3 batteries (BB) 300 watt hrs. The WH will drain those batteries quite quickly. If we do not have electric hookup in campsite, it is difficult to replenish the power to the van. We have a solar system (200w) that can hook directly to the batteries. (solar blanket), but this works well only in optimal conditions.
Question:
Is it possible to hook up another holding tank to the water heater (2 to 3 gallons) so that we can heat the water, hold in tanks, while we drive to the next destination and have hot water when we arrive with all the power we need without hookup to electricity? (we like to stay in Forest Service campgrounds and they do not have electric hookups in most).
I have done some research, not getting very far with that...which brings me here for this post.
Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks

·
Registered
6,744 Posts
3 batteries (BB) 300 watt hrs. The WH will drain those batteries quite quickly. If we do not have electric hookup in campsite, it is difficult to replenish the power to the van. We have a solar system (200w) that can hook directly to the batteries. (solar blanket), but this works well only in optimal conditions.
Question:
Is it possible to hook up another holding tank to the water heater (2 to 3 gallons) so that we can heat the water, hold in tanks, while we drive to the next destination and have hot water when we arrive with all the power we need without hookup to electricity? (we like to stay in Forest Service campgrounds and they do not have electric hookups in most).
I have done some research, not getting very far with that...which brings me here for this post.

Thanks
I heat 2 1/2 gallons of shower water to 95 degrees in 15 minutes with a 120 volt AC Sous Vide kitchen water heater. Can use real shore power or "shore power" from the vehicle powered inverter or 120 volt power from the 1000 watt house inverter. To save energy I only heat the amount of water needed for a shower and only up to the desired shower water temperature. Storing hot water wastes energy as does heating water to a higher temperature than needed.

·
Registered
2022 W2X 350 HR AWD EB
137 Posts
Question:

Thanks
You can get something like this

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Rheem-Performance-2-5-Gal-6

and convert the heading element to 12v. Then depending how how much effort you want to do you can have a relay only provide power when the van is running or batteries are over a given % of SOC, etc.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts