Ford Transit USA Forum banner

Adding water meth for towing

5K views 11 replies 5 participants last post by  Budsky 
#1 ·
I tow a lot with my 3.2 any reason I shouldn't add w-meth?

#3 ·
Look around at the aftermarket stuff regarding adding water-methanol. There's a safe way to do it and a risky way. I considered it on my 2010 F350 SD but backed out. I had enough problems with the 6.4L motor, I didn't want to add any more.

The newer diesels are pretty well dialed in as they are. At least wait until warranty is gone before you start messing with it. FYI, you can smell that stuff in the fuel so there's no hiding the fact that you're using it.

#6 ·
Point is it cannot be detected in the fuel- never are they mixed except during the injection of the fuel in the cylinder- there is no backflow to get the water/methanol mix back into the fuel system.

#7 ·
My take on it is that if it's a Transit and is still in warranty the risk exceeds the reward.

I think its important to remember that water is extremely difficult to compress, is a poor lubricant and a great oxidizer.

If something goes wrong and you dump a bunch of that into your motor you may experience hydro lock, washed cylinders, blown head gaskets, stretched head bolts, etc.

The up side is that if it's done right you can see a sizeable performance increase as long as it stays together.

#9 ·
Biff10, it is nice to see someone else interested in aftermarket performance products as well. Water injection is a great way to add more towing power, especially in a diesel, but there are a few things that I have found that might make water injection counter productive for the 3.2s.

Water injection does a great job reducing exhaust temperatures, but it also slows down "quenches" the combustion process. Normally this would be a good thing, especially for high compression diesels, but 3.2l is a very low compression diesel (15.8:1) to reduce NOx levels. The injection system and ECU programming was also designed to run with biodiesel (lower cetane fuel) and lower NOx emissions, which is why there are multiple injection events per combustion cycle. To get more specific, the 3rd injection event is designed to slow down and keep the combustion event at certain temperature levels. All of these new modern diesel attributes tend to make water/meth injection counter productive.

I have already tested my Transit to see how it handles a slower/cooler burn, similar to what water injection does, by adding a larger amount of cetane booster (20oz Schaeffers treatment). It did make the engine quieter, especially when accelerating, but the DPF filled up faster and there was a gradual reduction in power from the ECU adjusting to the different emission output.

This doesn't mean water/meth injection is out of the question, it just requires an ECU modification, new programming that is geared towards water/meth injection, and an understanding that there will be no more powertrain warranty. This is something that I might consider as well once my warranty starts coming to an end, until then, I am just sticking to my tuning box.

#10 ·
The injection system and ECU programming was also designed to run with biodiesel (lower cetane fuel)
I'm curious about the statement of lower cetane with biodiesel- everything I've read says it is higher cetane than standard US petro diesel.
Most petro diesel fuel in the US is supposedly around 40 with bioD ranging from 46-60 depending on the source stock.

#12 ·
Around here in SC/NC almost all the pumps show 40 cetane if they show anything at all....40 coincidentally is the minimum spec for cetane per ASTM D975.

I've never seen a pump posted above 45 and that was at the rare stations that advertised "premium" diesel fuel.

I really think the regulations should make them state exactly what it is, just like for gasoline.

I don't mind running up to 2% bio in my older truck not built for bio and I don't mind even up to 20% in the Transit IF the price is proportional to the reduced mileage.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.