Ford Transit USA Forum banner

41 - 54 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
I’m pretty sure bilstiens can work on AWD vans, just not at the full 2” lift height. without chancing overextending them on full droop

·
Registered
55 Posts
Im pretty sure the original question was about using the “front” strut on a non lifted AWD van. According to that link that would be at the limit of droop. I think the OP and myself would like to hear from people that actually have used the bilstiens “in the front” , there are a few much better options for the rear.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Come on... READ - the Bilstein itself lifts front 1/2", droops out 1" more than factory, starts to bind. So I guess you did not want to use the B6 being that you don't want to lift it. Your ORIGINAL question.... people.

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Wow... I saw your build, what a piece of . I guess you have no worries of it getting stolen. FORM BEWARE
I haven't seen @Ob917's build, but considering the van was brand new to @Ob917 just one month ago, how much of a build could he/she possibly have done by now? Maybe others are faster than I would be, but a month is pretty short, especially if you have other things going on in life. (Or maybe you are commenting on the PO's build - who is also a member here...?)

@Ob917, I think I see what you are asking. If I'm reading correctly (and if I'm not, I'm sure someone will let me know), VC says that by using the Bilstein's-only on the front, 1" of droop can occur. 1" of droop is just at the binding point apparently. So while it's right on the edge, you are wondering if anyone has run this and whether it's "just on the edge but works ok, though certain parts may wear slighty quicker" or "just on the edge and doesn't work out well at all in real life."

@Hall E Wud But you didn't do the fronts with Bilstein at all, right? Plus you are lifted? I think the OP was about adding Bilsteins to the front on a non-lifed AWD (unless I'm having reading problems, always possible).

·
Registered
25 Posts
Have any of you actually had the factory AWD strut and a Bilstein B6 replacement in front of you to measure? The B6 is identical dimensions to the factory struts that came off my '21 RWD. Is the AWD van or maybe any Transit with the HD front end shorter travel + lower spring perch in the front vs. the RWD models? All I've ever seen is just passed down info and/or hear say about this.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I haven't, I’m also not sure why they would change the spring perch location in the first place. If they did even did🤷🏼‍♂️

·
Registered
55 Posts
Have any of you actually had the factory AWD strut and a Bilstein B6 replacement in front of you to measure? The B6 is identical dimensions to the factory struts that came off my '21 RWD. Is the AWD van or maybe any Transit with the HD front end shorter travel + lower spring perch in the front vs. the RWD models? All I've ever seen is just passed down info and/or hear say about this.
Do you have them on the front of your 21? I still haven’t heard if they are an actual upgrade or if it’s just a lateral kinda change.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
Although I was hopeful that adding just the Bilstein B6 Struts and Shocks would get me the additional lift I needed in the front, I have come to the conclusion after driving the van for 6 months that I will need a 2" lift. ****, my front bumper barely clears the curb when parking at Costco. These vans are very low in the front.

I'm headed to Portland in July and will have the Quigley Q-Lift installed at Newberg Ford (thanks Alex). They will also fit the Bilstein B6 struts and shocks at that time (have ordered and are in hand). I contacted Quad Van and they will fit their shock relocation bracket after the work by Newburg (Quad approved for this application). From what I gather, those products are best in class and all combined will not compromise the CVs on the Transit AWD. I considered the Fox and Falcon rear shock suspension systems, but don't want to commit to products with a shorter service life. Note: the Ford Raptor service life for the Fox components has been an issue. Bilstein products tend to go 100K plus. My Trail Teams FJ now has over 200K on the OEM Bilstein suspension and they work great. Sure, new shocks and struts would likely be a nice refresh on the FJ, but they still work fine.

I will also have BFG KO2s at 245/75/R16 mounted to the Black Rhino Sequoia (pending release and specs of the BR Arsenal for AWD Transits) fitted by Newburg after the lift so that the final build can be aligned at Newburg. I should roll out the door with the best potential to tackle BLM roads and the like. If this all goes to plan, I will post my results sometime in early Aug.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Do you have them on the front of your 21? I still haven’t heard if they are an actual upgrade or if it’s just a lateral kinda change.
Yes they are on my Transit now, definitely an upgrade especially for what they cost.

41 - 54 of 54 Posts