Ford Transit USA Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'd like to expand upon Will Prowse's 400w Solar Package w/ Alternator Charging by adding a Victron IP65 12-Volt 15 amp AC to DC charger to the mix. The IP65 will only be used when connecting to 15 Amp shore power. The house batteries will be two SOK 100Ah LiFePo batteries connected in parallel.

My initial thought is to simply connect the IP65 directly to the main positive and negative battery terminals (with the appropriate ring connectors and fuse). Is this a good idea or is there a better way?

We're following Will's design fairly closely except we are leaving out the inverter. Thanks in advance for your feedback.

Circuit component Electrical wiring Audio equipment Hardware programmer Gadget

·
Registered
2019 MR non-ext
108 Posts
That’s exactly what I did except with an IP67. Connected directly to the two bus bars. Not sure about the IP65, but for the 67 Victron says you should only run a load while using the charger if the current draw is less than the chargers rated output.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That’s exactly what I did except with an IP67. Connected directly to the two bus bars. Not sure about the IP65, but for the 67 Victron says you should only run a load while using the charger if the current draw is less than the chargers rated output.
Hmm. I'll have to look into that. If the same applies to the IP65, the low output of the IP65 would essentially negate the use of the house batteries while charging for anything other than a few small devices.

Thanks for the feedback.

·
Registered
2020 High-Extended AWD EcoBoost Cargo with windows
1,690 Posts
IP65, IP67 Are not model Victron numbers, They are a European Dust and Waterproof rating for electrical equipment.

... and also the names Victron chose for their chargers. Which /also/ reflects their water protection category. Doesn't seem like great creative marketing... but it certainly emphasizes their water protection, I guess. 🤷‍♀️

They even carried the scheme to their IP22: https://www.victronenergy.com/chargers/blue-smart-ip22-charger

·
Premium Member
1,393 Posts
Progressive Dynamics makes a nice lineup of DC chargers for Lithium batteries.

All the best,
Hein
DIYvan

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

All the best,
Hein
DIYvan
Thank you for the recommendation. I will definitely consider these should the Victron end up not being a suitable solution.

·
Registered
3,904 Posts
... and also the names Victron chose for their chargers. Which /also/ reflects their water protection category. Doesn't seem like great creative marketing... but it certainly emphasizes their water protection, I guess. 🤷‍♀️

They even carried the scheme to their IP22: https://www.victronenergy.com/chargers/blue-smart-ip22-charger
Believe what you want to believe, Sterling battery to battery chargers list the same numbers as part of their product discription. Like Victron. Sterling is also a European company.

·
Registered
3,904 Posts
Then there is the fact that both Victron and Sterling are designed for usage on boats, Depending on the application on a boat the level of waterproofing is a important consideration. The higher the level of waterproofing the higher the cost.

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
Believe what you want to believe, Sterling battery to battery chargers list the same numbers as part of their product discription. Like Victron. Sterling is also a European company.
Too lazy to even click on a link? For whatever reason, that's what they NAMED them. Yes, I'm sure it's to reflect the fact that these units are approved for wet-environment use. In fact, one of the marketing bits says, "With boat owners in mind..." so I'm sure that's relevant. And, yes, they have part numbers. And part / product names. These ones go to eleven. I don't know why. More importantly, I don't know why you are unable or unwilling to click on the link and see the product name. Very weird, dude. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
3,904 Posts
I did click on the link, They are chargers each designed to operate in a different environment, Some are just splashproof, Some are fully waterproof, And some are for use in dry environments only. Each with with a different IP environmental identifier.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I did click on the link, They are chargers each designed to operate in a different environment, Some are just splashproof, Some are fully waterproof, And some are for use in dry environments only. Each with with a different IP environmental identifier.

I'm sure you had helpful intentions with your original post but you've strayed far from helpful since then. Please keep the replies (and the subsequent notifications I receive) on topic. Thank you.

·
Registered
3,517 Posts
They certainly have a mature product line. I would think the Lithium specific chargers are based on their existing technology which is probably a good thing On thing of note is that the charging amperage of is not adjustable.

Looking at the 80a unit The rated draw is 1300 watts which makes sense and seem like a decent efficiency (90%) for an output of 14.6V. But it seemed odd that the charger requires a 20a outlet. There was a review on Amazon (FWIW) that said the charger draws over 1800 watts, which would jive with the 20a requirement and would indicate a very low efficiency.

Do you have any experience/insight on this?

·
Registered
2017, cargo, 130inch, mr, dbl sliders, 3.2 dsl, 3.31 rear end, used 13.5k mi.
137 Posts
Progressive Dynamics makes a nice lineup of DC chargers for Lithium batteries

Can attest to ProgDynamic AC to DC charger's simple, robust functioning. Spouse's 60amp Progressive Dynamic charger was plugged in this very morning to recharge her 400a LiFePO BattleBorn batts as she was in cloudy, rainy weather for preceding 4 days and her 400wtt PV panels could not keep up with the loads on the battery storage. She drew them down to 4% state of charge which has never been below 15% before.

Builder who suggested Progressive Dynamic AC to DC charger did so as it is a USA fabricated product as was preferred by spouse. When loads exceed solar recharge capacity, she recharges AC to DC via a small Honda generator if no other electrical source is available. Slick, quick way to keep fridges, electrical cookin devices, space heating functioning when not driving and recharging with Sterling 120amp DC to DC unit. Man, did I ever win the lottery marrying her and her wisdom to choose non-China fabricated bits; and something about her that rhymes with bits I like also.

·
Registered
414 Posts
I'm sure you had helpful intentions with your original post but you've strayed far from helpful since then. Please keep the replies (and the subsequent notifications I receive) on topic. Thank you.
Dunno, you might be able to "Report" the continued posts. Maybe a moderator would step in. In lieu of that there is some way to "Ignore" a user so their content gets muted for you, though I don't think that'll keep the notifications from coming.

·
Administrator
2018 T350HD Dual Sliders - SOLD
2,345 Posts
Dunno, you might be able to "Report" the continued posts. Maybe a moderator would step in. In lieu of that there is some way to "Ignore" a user so their content gets muted for you, though I don't think that'll keep the notifications from coming.
If you click on a username, it will open a window. Below the users avatar, to the right s little, is a place you can click to add that user to the "Ignore" list.

·
Registered
3,904 Posts
I have to say that I was pissed more then once when a thread went off topic in the past, But that just the way this forum seem to work. All forum threads go off topic sometimes.

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
I have to say that I was pissed more then once when a thread went off topic in the past, But that just the way this forum seem to work. All forum threads go off topic sometimes.
Totally. Bugged me when I first came here. Not the protocol on most boards I've been on. But seems to be the norm here. 🤷‍♀️

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
On that note... back to the OP: @OwnerByProxy, one of those chargers would charge a battery. I guess I'm not sure what the question is?

Based on the description of the IP65 on the Victron web site, I get the impression it's intended as more of an old-school trickle charger; but I don't have any experience with it. It appears that it would work fine. That said, I would tend to look for something intended to charge the batteries much faster - in the 50A or better range if possible.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
On that note... back to the OP: @OwnerByProxy, one of those chargers would charge a battery. I guess I'm not sure what the question is?

Based on the description of the IP65 on the Victron web site, I get the impression it's intended as more of an old-school trickle charger; but I don't have any experience with it. It appears that it would work fine. That said, I would tend to look for something intended to charge the batteries much faster - in the 50A or better range if possible.
I was seeking feedback on two points - the use of an AC to DC charger as a "shore power" device and the best way to add such a device into Will Prowse's house power blueprint.

Specifically, I was considering the use of Victron's IP65 as an AC to DC "shore power charger" and looking for feedback from others who may have gone this route. However, as JRG pointed out, the IP65 and IP67 models aren't ideal for this use case due to vaguely written power draw limitations during charging. As it turns out, the IP22 is better suited for this purpose so I've pivoted to that device.

The second point of feedback I seek is the best way to connect such a device to the aforementioned design. I have my own thoughts on how to solve this challenge but figured I get seek some input from others who may have gone down this route.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts