Ford Transit USA Forum banner

Adding a 62" 3 passenger seat to the rear of a 8 passenger Transit van

1067 Views 28 Replies 6 Participants Last post by  CrewVanManInfo
Since this has been such a questionable installation, I am showing pictures of this installation on a current purchased 2022 MR Transit van. This van was ordered with the 8 passenger seating (delete of the rear seats from a 12 passenger configuration) so this 62" seat could be used to give a 5 position child seat latching feature. On the 12 and 14 passenger van, you have 3 factory latching positions and on the 15 passenger , you have 4 with 2 on the 54" seat and 1 each for the 2 36" seats.

First thing is to acquire the 62" 3 passenger seat. Sources for this seat can come from the current Ford Transit CrewVan model and from the earlier model 2015-2020 SWB 10 passenger van. These earlier models can have the special 62" 3 passenger seat with the 3" to 4" recline for each seat. The 2015-19 models will have the Pewter Cloth, Charcoal Cloth, Pewter Vinyl, and possible Leather seating materials for the reclining 62" seat. The 2020 model will be the only one to have the current matching seat covers for the current models in the Ebony Cloth, Dark Palazzo Cloth, Dark Palazzo Vinyl, and the possible Ebony Leather seating material. The CrewVan model 62" seat will be limited to the 2 Cloth seating options and the Dark Palazzo Gray Vinyl seat being available for use.

Now for the installation! This one is pretty simple as with its 8 passenger seating, the area for the 62" seat is open for installation. If you have the 12 passenger seating, you can remove the 2 31" 2 passenger seats and then install the 62" seat in its place.
Reactions: asdrew
21 - 29 of 29 Posts

· Super Moderator
4,663 Posts

· Registered
6,716 Posts
Thanks, that is very helpful!
Now I still wonder what that tag says on something like an 8 pax LWB wheelbase that has rails in place for 12 seats, maybe @CrewVanManInfo can check into that to satisfy my curiosity. :unsure:
Maybe for flexibility rather than capacity?
Maybe for marketing/pricing, ya pay for 8 so that's all you get on the plate? If you want more seating then you have to pay Ford for the seats to get the tag. Sorta like no seems to have figured out actual vehicle differences (I think?) between the T-250 and T-350 for the greater GVWR rating.

· Registered
2018 130" 3.5 EB
358 Posts
That is a 8 seater 130" SWB passenger van that is no longer available. The one we have been talking about is the 148" LWB version.
Got it.

The LWB can be had factory as an 8 seater with the 8 seat designations or they are just shown in one configuration on the placards and seats are deleted?

If the vans can be factory 8 seat designated from the factory then that is what I'll be going after again.

Always wanted longer wheelbase without going over that legal limit of 9+ seats and 10,001+ lbs gvwr.

· Registered
7,736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Got it.

The LWB can be had factory as an 8 seater with the 8 seat designations or they are just shown in one configuration on the placards and seats are deleted?

If the vans can be factory 8 seat designated from the factory then that is what I'll be going after again.

Always wanted longer wheelbase without going over that legal limit of 9+ seats and 10,001+ lbs gvwr.
In the MR & HR 148" WB passenger van, you have to order the option for the 8 passenger seating. The standard seating is the 12 passenger seating. Removing the 2 31" seats from the 12 makes the 8 passenger but there is NO 12 seat designation on the window sticker, only for the designated 8 passenger option.

· Registered
'21 XLT MR 148 Wagon, Eco, 3:31 LSD, RWD, PSD, NAV, ACC
402 Posts
Got it.

@Chillis I may be misunderstanding, but will share my facts.....

I am the first owner of a special order '21 XLT 148 MR. I ordered it with Option 96V:
8-PASS (4 REAR SEATS DELETE)
So yes, its technically a twelve px van, but has never ever, ever had more than 8 seats.
It is #9250 GVWR
So it's long wheelbase, and under 10k GVWR.

NOWHERE on this van is there a full color tire-loading placard such as you show in Post #18 of this thread.
The tire-load placard on my Transit door jamb is the plain black and white looking one, like you show in Post #23

· Registered
2018 130" 3.5 EB
358 Posts
If they no longer show that designation then I may just get longer wheelbase versions and do custom interiors like I've done with my 8 seaters. I've always wanted to stay 8 seat for regulation reasons but they are tight even with my custom seating fully spread out maximizing leg room.

· Registered
7,736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Delivered the 2022 T-350 MR 11 passenger van today. A happy Mom and Dad along with ALL of the little ones ready to get strapped in and going somewhere! It has the 5 child designated seating positions so they can be in their seats.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts