Ford Transit USA Forum banner
461 - 474 of 474 Posts

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
I see. So perhaps one gets a separate "price quote" if they are not paying MSRP. But if one is paying the MSRP shown on the signed COVP Preview Order, would they normally get a separate contract? I realize you did, so this question is more for anyone else.

I guess I thought the signed COVP Preview order was all you got (plus a deposit receipt and maybe a D/L copy receipt).

Maybe the better question is: For the people here whose dealers tried this trick, but who then subsequently only paid their original price (thanks for Ford's dealer price matching scheme), did they have any "contract" other than the signed Preview order/DL/signed deposit slip?

Or even for anyone who took delivery of a COVP order in the past couple of months: Basically all those people would have ordered at a lower price point because by the time the prices went up, I think the ordering window had closed. So if they paid that original price (and I believe most did), did they have any other contract other than what I mentioned above?

·
Registered
2022 XLT Low-Roof Passenger (ordered Oct 2021, received May 2022)
289 Posts
@Vanaroo, @Janus9 said it well. MSRP is a SUGGESTED retail price, not THE retail price! Dealers can discount that (as was common pre-2021) or tack on an additional dealer markup (as is common post-2021) as well as tack on fees like processing fees and dealer prep fees. The sales order or just something else in writing stating the out the door sales price allows you to know, at the time that you order, exactly what you will pay when your van comes in. Before you order, you have a lot of leverage. Once you order, you have very little leverage and basically are at the mercy of Ford and your Ford dealership.

·
Registered
289 Posts
@Vanaroo, MSRP went up about 4k between when I ordered and took delivery. Hard to tell if they were playing games or the finance manager just made a mistake, but in finance office they had the current (higher) X Plan price. When I pointed out that we agreed on the price when I ordered, he went and talked with the sales manager and the sales manager said he was supposed to give me the price when I ordered. But basically I look at it this way: that signed sales order possibly saved me 4 grand!

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
I understand that MSRP is "Manufacturer's Suggested Retail Price"

What I'm asking/saying is this. My understanding of what one typically gets with a COVP order is this:

1) Preview order with price shown at bottom right, signed.
2) Some sort of acknowledgement that your DL was received and used for the order
3) A signed receipt of your deposit.

A few people here have said that some separate "price contract" is given. I get that one could be and that some apparently have been. But is that necessary for a COVP order? I would imagine that most people who ordered and received 2022's would have ordered in one price category (probably 220 or 225) and by the time the van was delivered the price category was quite a bit higher (maybe 240 or so). Yet most (all?) of those people were successful in paying the price they had received on the Preview Order as I understand it.

Maybe some of those people could speak to this? IOW, did everyone who has taken delivery of a 2022 for the price that was listed on their Preview Order, have a separate "contract" for the price? Or did they have the signed Preview Order but no separate price contract? I think this info would help @laskaroy and probably others too.

·
Registered
289 Posts
A few people here have said that some separate "price contract" is given. I get that one could be and that some apparently have been. But is that necessary for a COVP order? I would imagine that most people who ordered and received 2022's would have ordered in one price category (probably 220 or 225) and by the time the van was delivered the price category was quite a bit higher (maybe 240 or so). Yet most (all?) of those people were successful in paying the price they had received on the Preview Order as I understand it.
All I know is that I bet @laskaroy wishes that he/she had a signed sales order with an out the door price!

So let's say 9 out of 10 people are able to get their van at MSRP at the time of order without a separate sales order. Do you really want to chance it and be that 10th person? Or would you rather make your salesperson take 5 minutes on what is most people's second largest purchase and in the middle of a supplier chain crisis at that to give you a signed sales order with an out the door price?

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
@laskaroy
You might try searching or starting a new thread. I believe just about everyone who ordered and then received a 2022 van ordered at price level 220 or 225 and then probably picked up at level 240 or higher. Many have asked your question, but I can't think of any who ended up paying more than on their signed Preview order. Worth a shot to ask them anyway. Reason I say that is that quite a few people came to the forum in your situation, and if they'd all had a signed Sales Order like MrCash then they probably wouldn't have been here asking.

·
Registered
6,311 Posts
For those following along.. Here is the latest message from the dealer

"Good afternoon. I understand that the price difference was significant between what you thought you would be paying and the actual MSRP of the vehicle. It is unfortunate that supply chain issues and overall increases in materials is causing there to be increases across the board on sold orders. I understand that the sales department reached out to Ford and they had mentioned that there would be a credit for base level pricing differences. This has happened in the past, however the difference sent to us by Ford, rarely matches the true difference in price. I am not a believer in keeping something that should rightfully go to the customer. If/When Ford sends a payment for a base level price difference, I am happy to apply that money to you. However, it is imperative that you are not expecting a check in the neighborhood of $4,000.

The differences usually come 30-60 days after the reported sold date. I will keep an eye out for your VIN on our July/August Statement."
Time to call out this dealership so others do not get caught in their trap when Ford has told them what to do.

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Time to call out this dealership so others do not get caught in their trap when Ford has told them what to do.
Agreed. He did mention it was North County Ford in his first post in this thread, plus it shows on the temp rear plate of the van. I searched and only found the one in Vista, CA, but it would be nice to have confirmation because it's possible there is another dealer by the same name somewhere else.

@laskaroy, how're you making out with this?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Here's the latest from the GM of North County Ford in Vista, CA New Ford Dealership in Vista, CA | North County Ford

"I went back and reviewed and it appears that the credit is coming back from Ford the month following the purchase. In all likelihood, this money will show up on our statement in July. I will be 100% transparent with you and show you exactly the amount that Ford credited us in association to your VIN number.

I will be in touch once Ford provides us with the statement."

We will see if their motto on their website rings true You Can Count On Us

Honestly my hands are tied at this point and I'm at the mercy of them doing the right thing.. I called again today and asked if they could throw in an extended warranty or something vs waiting on the credit from Ford as I'd like to get this cleared up ASAP and the response above is what they said

@CrewVanManInfo @Vanaroo @MrCash if you want to "educate" GM Beau Watling 888-692-0830 on the right protocol I'd appreciate it

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
I cannot believe how stingy and cheesy they are. They are going to make you pay full current price (and sales tax I presume), vs. the price they are basically admitting you and they had agreed upon (or else how would they be going to Ford for the difference if there were not a difference?).

And then, when Ford sends them the dealer price protection they are going to cut you a check*? As if the Price Protection is a suspicious, wrinkled third-party check that they might not be able to cash? (Vs. a guaranteed check from Ford, which it really is). That is seriously messed up, IMO. I know where I would never be looking for a vehicle: North County Ford in Vista, California.

Let me guess: They took your deposit when you ordered, not months later when the vehicle came in; and yet they are reversing this concept now that they are the ones that would be "advancing" the money.

*And what do you want to bet you are going to have to ask them for it over and over and over and they will make you feel like you are pestering them....

·
Registered
15 Posts
They are just playing a game holding his money. They just do a settlement with Ford on the payment and get credited on their account. Mostly a paper transaction so they are not out any money on the deal. SO....BEWARE stay away from this dealer on a Transit purchase!
@CrewVanManInfo are they able to calculate this settlement today or do need to wait to see what the amount is when Ford issues it as they are telling me?

·
Registered
6,311 Posts
They already have the number based on your original order and the last billing that came up once you window sticker was printed which was about 10 days before your Transit was built. That date is at the bottom on the online window sticker and would be present on your original window sticker.

461 - 474 of 474 Posts