Ford Transit USA Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ford came to us this past week and asked us if we were working with our customer to activate the FordPass Connect on their 2020 Transit. Since it was so new and Ford never went over all of the details on it, we were letting our customers read through their owners manual and activating it if they wished to.

NOW......Ford is TELLING us to go to the customer and get it activated! So we have been emailing our customers on how to do it. Here is the information on activating it in case you purchased your Transit at another dealership and they did not go over this procedure.

HOW to ACTIVATE FordPass

1) Download the FordPass app. For iPhone download from the App store and for Android phones, the Google Play Store.
2) Enter your Ford Owners account login information. If you do not already have a Ford Owners account, you can set one up within the app at this point.
3) Create a touch ID or 4 digit pin for security.
4) Enter your vehicle information by selecting My Vehicles, Add Vehicles, then enter your vehicle 17 digit VIN.
5) Select
Finish
6) Activate

FordPass activation can also be done from the Vehicle Controls card in FordPass.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Ford came to us this past week and asked us if we were working with our customer to activate the FordPass Connect on their 2020 Transit. Since it was so new and Ford never went over all of the details on it, we were letting our customers read through their owners manual and activating it if they wished to.

NOW......Ford is TELLING us to go to the customer and get it activated! So we have been emailing our customers on how to do it. Here is the information on activating it in case you purchased your Transit at another dealership and they did not go over this procedure.

HOW to ACTIVATE FordPass

1) Download the FordPass app. For iPhone download from the App store and for Android phones, the Google Play Store.
2) Enter your Ford Owners account login information. If you do not already have a Ford Owners account, you can set one up within the app at this point.
3) Create a touch ID or 4 digit pin for security.
4) Enter your vehicle information by selecting My Vehicles, Add Vehicles, then enter your vehicle 17 digit VIN.
5) Select
Finish
6) Activate

FordPass activation can also be done from the Vehicle Controls card in FordPass.
Why does Ford care about activation? Do they get money from ATT?

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am sure there is some kind of DEAL they have with AT&T and before now, they have not presented anything to us to work with the customer to activate this feature. We only notified the buyer about being able to remote start the 2020 Transit with the cellphone if they wanted to use that feature.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I'd encourage anyone considering activating FordPass read the following two threads. Heck, you should read them even if you aren't planning on activating FordPass. They're eye opening.

Yes, there's some tinfoil hat comments, concerns that are debatable - but there's also some indisputable and quality research documented showing exactly what's going on. The cold, hard facts are, FordPass and the 4G modem in 2019+ Ford vehicles are sending tremendous amounts of your data to Ford, and there's essentially zero disclosure about the extent of what it contains or who Ford is sharing it with. Further, it all happens regardless of whether you have a FordPass account, and regardless of your configuration/privacy settings in any of the Ford apps on your phone or in your vehicle. Yes, you can disable everything, make phone calls to Ford to opt out - and significant data still flows to them.

I'll be picking up my Transit in the near future, and not only will I not be activating FordPass - I'll be actively looking for a way to disable the 4G modem. Hopefully, it's as simple on the Transits as the Mustang folks found out - a simple fuse pull seems to stop it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts