Ford Transit USA Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have the same problem. I cannot locate the a/c condensate drain under the van or within the engine compartment. I know I have an issue because of the bad odor in the van and no condensate water dripping onto the ground.
Where can the drain be found?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have the same problem. I cannot locate the a/c condensate drain under the van or within the engine compartment. I know I have an issue because of the bad odor in the van and no condensate water dripping onto the ground.
Where can the drain be found?
Hi Carl. the drain tube is in the center of the firewall down maybe 14" from top of firewall. I rigged up a 3/8" copper tube about 36" long and put a 30-degree bend on the end of the tube, I proceeded to blast some compressed air into it in bursts
Automotive tire Wood Automotive exterior Bumper Eyewear
and much to my amazement boom! out gushed the trapped water.

·
Registered
4 Posts
any help?
Thanks Phil. I searched and searched for a rubber drain hose and never would have found that small little drain on the center of the firewall behind the engine.
It didn't seem like it was blocked but it is now draining condensate, so we'll see. If the musty dirty odor persists, I will see about one of those kits to clean the evaporator via injecting foam cleaner into the drain. Thanks for your video and help.

·
Registered
241 Posts
For those without an air compressor, a few feet of weed whacker line, run backwards (up from the bottom) in the drain line can clear blockages pretty easily.

Also you have access to the evaporator core, through the slot in the evaporator for the cabin air filter. This filter does not exist on 2015-2019 vans, but the slot for one is there. 2020 and newer actually have a filter in that slot.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Try building pressure with all dash vents closed, vent selector dial to dash outlets, Not Max or Recirculate. Then move Fan (Blower) speed to highest setting. That should blow the restriction junk out the condensate drain tube. Weed wacker line or a 12-16" zip tie will ream it out also -- with the Fan (Blower) on Highest speed.

·
Registered
241 Posts
^^^ with the fan on high, that pushes the blockage further in to the drain tube, plugging it even more.

Pushing something (or blowing air) backwards up from the bottom of the drain line will physically push the blockage out the way it came in. It's much more likely to succeed in removing the obstruction.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
^^^ with the fan on high, that pushes the blockage further in to the drain tube, plugging it even more.

Pushing something (or blowing air) backwards up from the bottom of the drain line will physically push the blockage out the way it came in. It's much more likely to succeed in removing the obstruction.
Thanks for the confirmation, as3ffd. I am aware this blockage may come back. I will blow it out again in the future until the blockage has dissolved or been totally eradicated!

·
Registered
42 Posts
Interesting comments. I favor expelling the blob, or mass of gunk, from the evaporator housing and not blowing it back and redistributing or scattering inside the evaporator area. Experience with refrigerator and HVAC condensate drain lines leaves me favoring suction (like shop vac) in direction of the flow or air pressure to push the foreign matter along and out of the intended drain path - - My 2 cents - -

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Interesting comments. I favor expelling the blob, or mass of gunk, from the evaporator housing and not blowing it back and redistributing or scattering inside the evaporator area. Experience with refrigerator and HVAC condensate drain lines leaves me favoring suction (like shop vac) in direction of the flow or air pressure to push the foreign matter along and out of the intended drain path - - My 2 cents - -
I am not advocating only blowing air up the drain tube, I am just saying that is what worked so far. I would like to try your method also. Are you saying get my vacuum hose on the end of that drain tube & suck out what I can?

·
Registered
42 Posts
I am not advocating only blowing air up the drain tube, I am just saying that is what worked so far. I would like to try your method also. Are you saying get my vacuum hose on the end of that drain tube & suck out what I can?
Yes, indeed - - Just duct or masking tape a 4'-5' of smaller hose - - garden or poly - - to the end of the larger vac hose to get up to the drain outlet - - You should be able to see the blob jump from the drain into the vac - - either come up from the bottom of weave your hand into position from the top - - You'll be smiling soon - -

1 - 15 of 15 Posts