Ford Transit USA Forum banner

6R80 Transmission Cooler/Adapter Upgrade

2686 71
After every Transit I own breaking the transmission heat exchanger/cooler and destroying transmissions I've decided to remove that piece and use an adapter and Derale aluminum heatsink cooler instead.

I want low maintenance for my highway and off-road usage in hot weather. Death Valley was 124°f the other day!

I know our local Las Vegas Ford mechanic will chime in with how great the factory system is but I'm tired of driving ticking time bombs around.

On order is the Powerhouse Racing cooler line adapter and the Derale aluminum heatsink dual pass cooler unit to be mounted under the van(the big one).

No plans to use fans or front mount of the cooler unless warranted by the temperatures of the transmission.

Here we go. I'll have a local line builder arrange fittings and oil lines then do a fluid flush/fill followed by radiator/cooling system flush and fill and block off the lines that go to the transmission heat exchanger.

Bye bye hot engine and transmission temps!

Rectangle Auto part Metal Automotive exterior Plastic

Auto part Fashion accessory Transparency Event Font
  • Wow
Reactions: asdrew and Vanaroo
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
1,923 Posts
On long drives with short stops(gas/food), i'm seeing temps from 210-220f (in 95F weather) on my ultra gauge when i restart the van. So this is still on my wish list to do.
I'm bummed that your proposed mod didn't end up seeming advisable. If I saw temps like that on my E-350's transmission -- even towing up a steep pass in hot weather -- I would not be pleased (luckily I don't though).

This is one of my biggest worries about running a Transit. I mean, it's all good if you don't do things that raise the transmission temperature (which seems to be the case for many, which is great). But once you do..... there doesn't seem to be much in the way of options to make it any better. In this way it seems completely unlike previous vans.

· Registered
1,923 Posts
It sounds like you already have an OBD reader, but just in case it's helpful, my Scangauge II does read transmission temperature (I don't have a Transit, but on an E-350 and on a friend's Subaru and Honda). On the E-350 I had to punch in the code for "TFT" after buying the Scangauge, but they give you the numbers and it took less than ten minutes.

I run mine all the time showing me exact coolant temperature (in ºF), Transmission fluid temperature (in ºF) and there are two other fields where I alternate between other things depending on what I'm doing (MPG, %Load, voltage, etc.). It also reads and lets you dismiss or save codes so it's multi-purpose.

I suppose it matters where it reads the TFT, too.

Lastly, I don't suppose an RF thermometer could help? (I don't know if a surface reading would be useful.)

· Registered
1,923 Posts
Where you went only tells half the story. Just as important is how hot was it?
My first visit the highest air temp was 68 degrees.
It's not going to be 68º in September unless h-e-double toothpicks has frozen over (which it doesn't seem to have). Highs this week will be averaging 105ºF. Not to mention there are some big passes getting around/out of DV.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts