Ford Transit USA Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
Blue 2022 EL AWD
88 Posts
@Chillis Let me know how is goes.

I tried adding a standalone cooler on my 2022 3.5Eco with the 10r80, but i ran into an issue with the transmission connection.

My plan was to use the hose below, and a EVIL ENERGY 8 Pass Tube and Fin Transmission Cooler. I got the cooler and the line installed, but the plug is different on the 10r80, compared to the 6r80.

The plug on the 6r80 was Vertical (top/bottom) vs the 10r80 is Horizontal (right/left). I put mine back to stock, since you either have to cut the exchanger or drop the subframe to get the exchanger out. With out knowing if i could make it work, i didn't want to risk it.

On long drives with short stops(gas/food), i'm seeing temps from 210-220f (in 95F weather) on my ultra gauge when i restart the van. So this is still on my wish list to do.

CK4Z7R081D
Eyewear Audio equipment Font Eyelash Automotive lighting

Reactions: Chillis

· Registered
Blue 2022 EL AWD
88 Posts
@Vanaroo that was in Texas/Louisiana, driving from Colorado to Florida the end of july.
So low flat elevation.

• Wow
Reactions: Chillis and Vanaroo

· Registered
Blue 2022 EL AWD
88 Posts
Now, I'm debating whether to hide the unit underneath the van having very passive airflow or bolting it inside of the front bumper/brace?
Given the shape and fins, if you havent used the space between the fuel tank and side wall underneath, I’d put it there. Run it long ways with the van, so the air flow under the van runs the length of the fins.
If you mount it in the grill, only one side will be hit with fresh air and heat soak on the other.

· Registered
Blue 2022 EL AWD
88 Posts
Given you're on the 6r80, and your love with replacing the transmission. Have you ever had them take out the thermal bypass value in the transmission, that doesn't open until it get to temp?

That value is why they have you wait until the transmission is at temp to check the levels.

As for the levels, as long as the cooler is below the adaptor/ports i'd keep it "full"

· Registered
Blue 2022 EL AWD
88 Posts
@Chillis
When i was looking for cooling options, i kept ending up on the mustang fourms, that were road racing them.
The one common thing i found was, they all said the sweet spot was keeping the transmission at ~175F vs the 190F or higher that the engine coolant keeps it at.

Better shifting and mpg, was the results for them at the 175F.

Reactions: Vanaroo and Chillis

· Registered
Blue 2022 EL AWD
88 Posts
By those com

By those comments it sounds like I'd be better served with a fan assisted cooler to keep the temps more consistent.

First step will be proper transmission fluid level and then monitoring the temps under multiple multiple conditions.
Your new setup with the 6r80, will be limited by the valve. If the cooler is good enough, it may make that valve open and close constantly. If the GM 6L80 has the same setting as yours, it opens at 70C/158F. (couldn't find a temp for the internal one)

The OEM setup is limited to the temp of the engine coolant. Which the thermostat for the engine is a ~190F.

So if the value is opening at 158F, you could be lowering temps 30F with just your passive system.

Since i couldn't remove the exchanger in my 10r80 setup to split the cooling, i've got a 170F engine thermostat to try out.

Reactions: Vanaroo

· Registered
Blue 2022 EL AWD
88 Posts
I've currently left my exchanger stuck to the radiator. The coolant lines still run through it although I'll monitor for leaks.

Not sure why you couldn't do the same and run an adapter and cooler.
On my 2022/10r80, the exchanger is also the adaptor for the transmission. It sits right on the transmission above the sub frame. I bought the hard/soft line that comes on yours, with the adaptor built in.

But when i loosened the exchanger, i would have to either drop the sub frame or cut the pipes off the exchanger to get it out. Neither i felt comfortable doing, especially when the transmission ports didn't match the hose ports (hose ports are vertical, transmission ports are horizontal)

• Sad
Reactions: Vanaroo

· Registered
Blue 2022 EL AWD
88 Posts
Reactions: Chillis and Vanaroo

· Registered
Blue 2022 EL AWD
88 Posts
Have you tried upgrading the transmission pan?

AFE makes one for the 6r80 but they don't say if it will fit on a transit. If it does fit, it would make it easy to drain/fill.

With the fins and 7 quarts more should take a lot longer to over heat.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts