Ford Transit USA Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2018 350 XLT LR 3.7L RWD White 12 Seat
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We are ordering a 2023 Transit and are trying to decide between a 60/40 door and the sliding door. We have 5 kids 12 and under. We borrowed a friend's transit for a couple of days with a sliding door. Our driveway is on a bit of an incline, so the kids and my wife all had trouble shutting it correctly. I'm also concerned about how quickly the sliding door opens/closes on an incline. Seems like a safety hazard for kiddos.

So, we are heavily leaning toward 60-40 doors, but I'd love to hear others opinions. I read the through a similar question on this forum from Oct 2020, but updated opinions are welcome.

One last thing: can someone with a recent Transit measure the width of both the 60 and the 40 door, please? I want to see just how far it sticks out and how much an issue we might have with parking next to other cars. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
We are ordering a 2023 Transit and are trying to decide between a 60/40 door and the sliding door. We have 5 kids 12 and under. We borrowed a friend's transit for a couple of days with a sliding door. Our driveway is on a bit of an incline, so the kids and my wife all had trouble shutting it correctly. I'm also concerned about how quickly the sliding door opens/closes on an incline. Seems like a safety hazard for kiddos.
Are you ordering a Low Roof van? Just double checking as Ford only offers the 60/40 "barn" doors on the Low Roof model (pet peeve of mine!).

If so, I would 100% go for the 60/40 "barn" doors with kids (heck, I'd buy them for me if I could!). They just close like a regular door. Maybe even easier because they are not as long as, say, a sedan door. So not only no pinching, but no "Slam.... okay try again kidlet. Slam! Okay again. SLAM! Nope, it still didn't latch; never mind I'll come around and close it for you." Aggravating!

You also can't get the Power Sliding Door on the Low Roof, so it's manual sliding door or 60/40 "barn" doors only.

OTOH, if you are getting a Medium or High Roof, then you cannot get the barn doors :mad: In that case I'd say go for the Power Sliding Door (although in the past it has caused major availability problems and is "Late Availability" for 2023 as well so there is that little potential problem -- and it's ~$1,000).

Last caveat is if getting Medium Roof and "regular" wheelbase (the shortest one at 130") you can't get the Power Sliding Door (or the barn doors).

PS: I had 60/40 doors on an E-Series Ford van and they were much smaller (shorter) than normal car doors, so nowhere near as much of an issue in parking lots. And I used that door all the time to access the van.

I have a document that might show the door sizes; If I find them I will post back.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Are you ordering a Low Roof van? Just double checking as Ford only offers the 60/40 "barn" doors on the Low Roof model (pet peeve of mine!).

If so, I would 100% go for the 60/40 "barn" doors with kids (heck, I'd buy them for me if I could!). They just close like a regular door. Maybe even easier because they are not as long as, say, a sedan door. So not only no pinching, but no "Slam.... okay try again kidlet. Slam! Okay again. SLAM! Nope, it still didn't latch; never mind I'll come around and close it for you." Aggravating!

You also can't get the Power Sliding Door on the Low Roof, so it's manual sliding door or 60/40 "barn" doors only.

OTOH, if you are getting a Medium or High Roof, then you cannot get the barn doors :mad: In that case I'd say go for the Power Sliding Door (although in the past it has caused major availability problems and is "Late Availability" for 2023 as well so there is that little potential problem -- and it's ~$1,000).

Last caveat is if getting Medium Roof and "regular" wheelbase (the shortest one at 130") you can't get the Power Sliding Door (or the barn doors).

PS: I had 60/40 doors on an E-Series Ford van and they were much smaller (shorter) than normal car doors, so nowhere near as much of an issue in parking lots. And I used that door all the time to access the van.

I have a document that might show the door sizes; If I find them I will post back.
Thank you for the great info! It’s been very helpful. We do plan on getting a low roof. It’s crazy how picky Ford is and doesn’t allow for 60/40 doors on anything but low roof long configurations.
If you do find the measurements, please let me know. I appreciate it!

·
Super Moderator
4,559 Posts
When we were shopping for our first used Transit 7 years ago, they had quite a few similar ones on the lot and we spent considerable time getting in and out of each to explore the differences.
Every time both of us tried to get in one with 60/40 doors in the parking lot it as a real pita to get by each other and the door. Because of that, I would never consider that option for a passenger van.

·
Registered
42 Posts
60-40 fan here - - 148" LR & 12 Passenger seating - Both adult and child width seating units are detachable allowing position placement options - Yea - The left door does not have a hinge-strap stop like the old E series and it will fold way back and very wide to easily access the first single jump seat - Yea - The first single seat unit behind the front passenger should probably be removed and reduce that triple to a double seat and really open the entrance and exit area thru the right door -Yea - Don't have access to the door width measurements at this time - - 60-40 doors do not rattle - Yea - Kids scramble in and out of the doors and the step down area easily while adults appreciate a running board width second step or a sturdy step stool - It's a Big First Step when stepping out - Some rental companies have 60-40 and a stop at their lot would be revealing - Yea - Seems like some parking spaces are getting more narrow - 60-40 - Yea--

·
Registered
291 Posts
I will try to measure mine in the am but I will only ever have 60/40 doors, I use my van as a daily driver and camper and my wife and I both love the doors.
Easy to open/close from inside and I can't stand the whoooooosh slam sound of slider doors when camping :)
Sky Tire Cloud Vehicle Wheel

·
Super Moderator
4,559 Posts
Great pic! In all my years of off-roading that was always some of the toughest stuff to get through. Good thing you had the boards. My Bronco never faltered much in it (positraction front and rear + experience), but I sure pulled a lot of guys out of the soft sand we have in Florida.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
I will try to measure mine in the am but I will only ever have 60/40 doors, I use my van as a daily driver and camper and my wife and I both love the doors.
Easy to open/close from inside and I can't stand the whoooooosh slam sound of slider doors when camping :)
View attachment 177200
Yeah, that is a great photo! Really cool Transit. Thanks for sharing your opinion on the 60 40 door. Do those doors swing open freely? Or do they open in "intervals" like a regular car door?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Both ways - - The left door is a full easy little friction unrestricted swing movement - - Just an open stop on the beefy hinges. The right door hinge has two detents - - One firm holding position a bit over 90 degrees and then the stop before it would contact the closed front passenger door. In the non-passenger version it was explained how the full opening would easily permit a fork lift to place a palette inside. There is also an inside assist handle on the right door. Suggest get the full open rear door option with the magnets.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts