Ford Transit USA Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Premium Member
350HD XLT DRW Eco, Quadvan 4X4, 4.10 Eaton Truetracs front and rear, Backwoods bumper, Warn winch
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm seriously thinking about pulling the trigger on converting my 350HD DRW long and tall to four wheel drive. Quigley is too far away and would cost me around $8,000 just for transportation both ways. Quadvan would cost me about half that much because I'm located on the Left Coast. Both companies appear to do essentially the same thing with the same parts at the same price of around $16,000. I have two big questions before I decide if I should go through with this:

How much can I reasonably expect the resale value of my van to increase if and when I sell it, given that used 4x4 Transits seem to be highly sought after and hard to find? I know that most aftermarket improvements don't return much in resale value, but does that also hold true for 4x4 conversions? How much more would you be willing to pay for a used van with 4x4 versus without, all other things being equal?

The second question is build quality and customer satisfaction between Quadvan and Quigley... any comments based on personal experience with either company?

· Registered
485 Posts
I had my 2016 single rear wheel wagon converted by Quadvan in 2020 when it had about 55k on it. The service manager at the dealer that services my van, I trust them, told me I could always get back what I paid for the conversion. Now like any car it depends on condition and maintenance. I have mine serviced and gone over every 5k or so. He has told the sales dept. not to contact me cause they have nothing that would interest me.

As to quality I cannot speak to Quigley but as to Quadvan I have the highest praise. I used the trip as a mini vacation from Flagstaff area to coast and up to Portland. The way back was through the desert where I got a chance to check out the 4wd by getting stuck at Walker Lake. He snuck me in due to medical reasons, finished on time, walked me through and checked on me after I got home. I have used it on jeep trails in the Sedona area, highway to Houston, to LA, Monterrey Bay, Tahoe, forest service roads near Flagstaff and in the snow. It has done me well with no problems. The only issue is the green light (system engaged) is in a difficult place to see but he may have changed that.

My final opinion, you can’t go wrong with Quadvan.

· Registered
2016, MR, 130"
1,475 Posts
I love my Quadvan. I've worked it fairly hard and it has done really well. You probably won't get out the door for 16k, I sure didn't. If you are going to do shocks, shock mounts, skid plates, larger tires, truetrac front and rear, etc. it adds up. I don't think you are really going to get all your money back. Most perhaps. However, I think unless you really plan to get your fun out of it that it isn't worth it. For me it was worth every cent. The ability to keep on going instead of turning around is priceless.

Reactions: gggGary

· Registered
427 Posts
I got quadvan 4x4, skid plates, front hitch and tow points, bilstein shocks, truetrac front and rear. After about 10K miles it's been bulletproof. We are frequently on rough forest service roads & heavy snow - couldn't be done without the quadvan kit.

· Registered
321 Posts
I have 76k on my Quigley. Not a single issue whatsoever. One pro about Quadvan is that you can change gear ratios and add a locker or limited slip. I've looked into Quadvan multiple times - once before I bought the Quigley and then a few times to see if they would sell their shock mounts - back when they said you could buy them. I never had a single email or call returned. One possible pro of the Quigley is that it appears that the max tire size might be a bit larger than Quadvan. I was able to fit 33s with no major issues where a couple Quadvan guys had frame clearance issues and had to size down. Quigley comes with a part list of every part they've added. Not sure if Quadvan does.

But here is an option that I would find even more intriguing - Expovans/MGMetalworks looks like they are about to go into production with their Transit 4x4 conversion. Michael Garcia is a top-notch fabricator and an all-around good dude. I used one of his kits to convert my E350 Sportsmobile to 4x4 and it was a work of art and pretty simple to do. If I end up building a Transit cutaway with a Total Composites box, I'll almost certainly use MG's new kit for the 4x4 conversion.

· Registered
2016, MR, 130"
1,475 Posts
Quadvan uses all Ford parts. They do give a complete parts list when you have the work done. They are a little hard to get hold of. Like @andyl I have over 10k on mine since conversion in places you aren't going without it and it has been rock solid.

Reactions: gggGary

· Registered
485 Posts
One thing I forgot. The reason Quadvan is hard to get ahold of is they are a small shop vs as Quigley claims on their website 72k square feet. There is John, his wife and if I remember correctly 2-3 mechanics in a 4 bay shop.
Persistence in obtaining your goal is required in all endeavors.

· Registered
321 Posts
One thing I forgot. The reason Quadvan is hard to get ahold of is they are a small shop vs as Quigley claims on their website 72k square feet. There is John, his wife and if I remember correctly 2-3 mechanics in a 4 bay shop.
Persistence in obtaining your goal is required in all endeavors.
It is 2022. When I was considering QuadVan it was 2016/2017. I expect a 15 year old to ignore emails and phone calls, but not a business. No one should have to work hard to give a business $18-20k. So... I will persistently remember to not call or recommend Quadvan based on my experience. If you dig around here and other forums you'll find similar stories about their lack of common business sense. I do understand they have a quality product, and I'm sure they are nice people, but if they can't communicate they will lose many customers. Quigley has a product of equal or better quality and they answer the phone.

· Registered
485 Posts
I was a little grumpy when I responded to that. Tried to delete, but couldn't. Maybe they are better about communication now. Let's hope so.
That is OK.
If I am correct, english is not Adisa’s first language, thus she tends to shy away from the phone leaving most of it to John. After all most questions are probably filled with technical details. When I talked to John to get mine done he said the best way was to send an email that you wanted to get it done and you would be on the waiting list. It was about a 2 month wait at that time. I checked back periodically and when I ran into a medical time crunch, i emailed and called and he move me up. I also think that John has made a decision to stay small so that he can design, work on the vehicles and enjoy life without the headaches you run into with a lot of employees and a bigger company.
Am I defending his business model, yes because I chose the same model in my construction business for over 30 years. Working for the masses is not necessarily the best thing.

· Premium Member
2016 150 mid roof wagon 3.5 eco 3.31 posi
132 Posts
I talked with Dave at Quigley several times over a year before pulling the trigger. Got quick accurate friendly replies every time. Quigley basically had no wait time in March 2022, the van will be dropped off there tomorrow, then fly home to Wisconsin. Out the door with sales tax for the basic 4x4 $15K, he's still trying to talk me into shocks. ;) Our van a 2016 has 50K on it. He's quoting a 4 week turn around. And was willing to store our trailer during the conversion cuz I delivered some motorcycles to Atlanta as part of the trip. Been a regular road warrior of late 6k miles on the van in the last month.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.