Ford Transit USA Forum banner
1 - 20 of 291 Posts

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
4/9/22: CV boot upgrade, wheel rubbing fix, and 7 gallon grey water tank install

3/17/22: 48V Alternator On-Hold. No Longer Needed? Net Positive Solar!

3/12/22: $50 Stowable Tarp Canopy

3/3/22: 1110W Solar Array: 3 x REC Alpha 370AA Black, 1515-LS + Hein Tower Brackets

2/15/22: A/C and power system testing during 85F February heat wave in SoCal

1/18/22: New bluetooth controller for AC Infinity Fans and blast gate backdraft control

12/10/21: 12V timers for battery heat pad on at 4am, and MPPT temp check at 6am

12/8/21: 3D printed custom D-pillar vent covers with open/close action

11/21/21: 42 SEER Carrier Minisplit Part 2: flexible lineset and indoor unit

11/4/21: 42 SEER Carrier Minisplit Part 1: rear condenser mount

9/5/21: 20.5kWh 120/240V 3.8kW inverter-charger power system Part 2 (WS-500)

9/5/21: 20.5kWh 120/240V 3.8kW power system Part 1 (receptacles, batteries, pre-charge)

8/7/21: Driver's sidewall harness re-route (what a PITA)

8/3/21: Aluminess Install (will be used for custom Carrier a/c condensor mount)

5/21/21: Inverter Install, MPPT, Wiring, AC Switchgear

5/2/2021: Dual AC Infinity Cloudine (T6+S6) Venting System

4/29/2021: Front power panel update and hydraulic crimp tool + lug comparison

4/21/2021: AC Switchgear and routing power into the rear door

4/14/2021: First Look: 20.6kWh battery bank and battery heating system

3/29/2021: Hidden 14-50 receptacle installation

2/19/2021: Death Valley deep sand AWD tests

2/05/2021: Water pump, tank heat pad and heat trace, pex-a plumbing install

1/31/2021: 25-gallon under-van fresh water tank with discrete fill port

1/5/21 CAUTION: As discussed on page five of this thread I experienced a steering fault and a warranty rack and pinion replacement. There is a Ford Communication about this issue and it specifies the exact fault code I had, so this may be unrelated to the lift kit, but always do your own due diligence. The service manager at my local dealership states the larger tires were somehow "confusing the gears" in the power steering system, which they had to replace, but they also claim they fixed it by adjusting settings so that the van knows it has larger tires. They said I should be fine from now on, but per usual with larger tires, my speedometer is still off (normal with larger tires) so it's unclear precisely what settings they supposedly changed.

12/2/2020: Dometic CFX3-75DZ standing-height platform install

12/1/2020: 12V > 29V boost converter box for adjustable bed

11/29/2020: Webasto wiring and passenger-side Blue Sea fuse block install

11/28/2020: Extended-range tank capacity test and webasto aux fuel port install

11/26/2020: 1st iteration front power panel install and finished adjustable bed frame

11/20/2020: Passenger step-well and adjustable bed test mount (yay! it fits!)

11/12/2020: Final floor install photos; vinyl top layer looks great

11/11/2020: Grey and "yellow" plumbing lines installed

11/10/2020: 3-layer floor and Webasto 2000 STC install Part 3

11/10/2020: 3-layer floor (+ plumbing/wiring) install Part 2

11/10/2020: 3-layer floor (+bed support brackets, misc plumbing) install Part 1

9/4/2020: Forscan caution and general advice

9/3/2020: Forscan settings: Police Dark Car Mode to the rescue

8/31/2020: Legend wheel-well covers and front window sun-visors

8/28/2020: Scopema passenger swivel seat install (trick for misaligned bolt holes)

8/20/2020: Lift Kit, Tires, Full-size spare under-mount custom edit Part II

Original Post, 8/20/2020: Lift Kit, Tires, Ground Clearance Part I

Finally got the van back from the lift kit installer. Major props to Van Compass for coming through on the 3/16" front spacers needed to fit 265/75/16 Terrain Contact A/T tires. You guys rule! (They recommend doing the lift kit trimming step on stock tires, then taking it to a tire shop and test fitting one tire).

So far it rides really smooth, much better on bumpy sections, no issues whatsoever using the Van Compass red spring on an empty van. Glad I got it versus the blue since it can accommodate a heavier build later on.

I asked the installer not to trim the external plastic so I can see what I can get away with. Also had him do the smallest possible pinch weld trim, but on one sharp fast u-turn I got a little rubbing at the seem. I'll likely flatten it as others have done. Probably should have just let him cut more, but I like how the outside looks unmodified. Someday in mud or snow I'll want more room, so I may trim the outside after all. Angle grinder/cutter will make quick work of it.

Continental specs their 265/75/16 at 32.2" diameter but I believe all or most diameter specs are listed at 80 psi unloaded, so you don't get as much extra clearance as I'd hoped, but the more I look at the skid plate the more I'm convinced that was a good move. It's rock solid, and I'd be fine with it skidding up and over an 8-12" rock at 5mph. I'll measure again once the build is finished, but either way, it's still much better than it was at stock. Shock mount edit looks great too. That one is a no brainer.

Front side of skid plate (same 12" when re-measured on level concrete):

Back side re-measured on level concrete, right at 8.25" with skid plate on empty van (will likely drop to 7.5" after the build, but now I can impact the plate):

Angle of photo is off, but notice how clean they look afterwards:

Shock mount clearance (no longer the low point -- nice):

(Continued)

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
Post 2 of 2

Spare tire carrier was a custom job. It was either pay $1000 and shipping for an aluminum rear door tire carrier, plus installing it, and then the door becomes heavy, won't fold flat, and screams "camper van with valuable stuff inside," or alternatively pay $600 to edit the existing location.

Not everyone will feel comfortable with this kind of modification, but I decided to accept the risk/reward. Installer thinks it's stronger than before. Time will tell. The small welded steel bar in the center keeps the tire from barely shifting forward a tad due to the cable lift being slightly off center. There's still about an inch between the spare tire and the differential, so I can possibly fit a 33" tire later on. The 10.5" wide tire is at full psi. No need to inflate. Sits about as low as the exhaust pipe. If you want this upgrade for your rig, contact Marc McCombs at BDM Customs in Phoenix. Tell him you read about it on a forum post. 602-600-5995 [email protected]

May impact rear departure but installer said you'd know when you ripped the front bumper off that a hill was too steep to go over. Even so, I may install a thin metal skid plate for the rear part of the tire. Already have a design in mind.

Haven't adjusted the Fox Pro Reservoir shocks from the way Van Compass configured them, but I will when the van is fully loaded.

No politics about it, get the red one:

View from the front:

Front cross member clearance (same 12" when re-measured on level concrete):

Lower control arm clearance:

The only issue I'm seeing is a hum at 78-79mph, which thankfully goes away at 81mph, my cruising speed. No vibration, just a hum, not present at other speeds. Installer thinks it's possibly the angle of the carrier bearing on the drive shaft which is affected by lift kits. He says it's common. Looks relatively easy to test insert a few washers. Will do when I get a chance. My brother in law says every lift kit and tire upgrade he's ever done resulted in a hum at some speed or another. Not sure it's a big enough deal to matter but I'd like to at least try to solve it. Van doesn't pull in the slightest to either side and the installer said balance looks good. Any other owners with lift kits and larger tires getting a hum? Maybe I just got an imperfect tire. Might try rotating them to see if it moves or changes.

Cheers.

·
Registered
2020 AWD 350 High Roof, Long Body
269 Posts
Awesome, just got in a similar set of parts and am looking forward (somewhat) to crawling under then van and tossing 'em on.

Curious though, with the larger tires and the need to cut into the wheel well seam, does that mean you can't run the stock fender liners?

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Awesome, just got in a similar set of parts and am looking forward (somewhat) to crawling under then van and tossing 'em on.

Curious though, with the larger tires and the need to cut into the wheel well seam, does that mean you can't run the stock fender liners?
Congrats! Hope it goes smooth. I bet you can remove and reinstall or add the liners later. Can't say for sure since I decided not to get them (yet). But if you just trim the pinch, I don't think that will be an issue. Flattening maybe.

Post some photos afterwards.

Cheers.

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sweet van dude.

Would love to have a transit that size to run around town in!

What camera are you using? Something about the color just speaks to me
Thanks man, psyched to get it out and into the wild. I can't believe how well these handle. I was going to keep my SUV but now I've decided this is so easy to handle and the ecoboost is so powerful and fast that I don't need another vehicle.

Believe it or not that's just my galaxy s8 camera on a bright sunny Tucson morning.

Cheers.

·
Registered
2021 Cargo T-350 LWB HR EB on order...
366 Posts
Nice to see that you finally got your van. Those VC upgrades look fantastic. Can’t wait to see the rest of your build. Even though we placed our order around the same time as you (thanks again for all your help, BTW), we mistakenly opted for the power sliding door, so we’re still several months away from Ford making our van and QuadVan doing the 4x4 conversion. Super jealous that you’re already on your way!

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Nice to see that you finally got your van. Those VC upgrades look fantastic. Can’t wait to see the rest of your build. Even though we placed our order around the same time as you (thanks again for all your help, BTW), we mistakenly opted for the power sliding door, so we’re still several months away from Ford making our van and QuadVan doing the 4x4 conversion. Super jealous that you’re already on your way!
That's a bummer the sliding door is still delaying it. Message me and I may have a useful contact who can help, but truth be told I wish I'd never intervened because I lost $500 by getting it before the Aug rebate went up, and I bet you by end of year or even next month it goes to $1000. Funny thing is my original plan was to wait until this time of year to capture the larger rebate. Impatience got the better of me, but the reward may be a finished build before January, which is the month I usually try to head south to keep perpetual summer in full effect. Trying to figure out how to get the van to Australia this winter (their summer) but so far cost is still too high. Got another guy giving me great advice about that in a separate thread. Fingers crossed it works out. If not, maybe next year, or back to southern Mexico beaches.

Cheers.

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Sweet man! Thanks for detailing, love the spare mod!
Thanks! Give Marc McCombs a call or email him if you want to try it. I'll document any issues that arise but I don't anticipate any.

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Nice work. I might consider covering those welds with seam sealer. It looks like there are some holes, and water may get inside that otherwise enclosed cavity of the van.

Craig
Thanks man. I thought the exact same thing and even though it turns out that's just paint holes due to repeated coats with solid weld lines underneath, I'm still planning to do that. The photo was provided by the installer, so when I get back "home" I'll get the spare off and do some touch ups.

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
What are the red springs?
You get to choose normal load (blue) or red ("HD") for heavier loads. Since my build may get heavier over time, I went with red. Different spring characteristics per VC but all I care about is that they ride fine (for me anyways) on an empty van. That way I can use the van and not be in a rush to do the build.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Post 3

Will need to re-measure on totally level concrete at a gas station or concrete driveway. Road by the casa is uneven. I've seen anywhere from 7.7 to 9". VC said 9" on their 265/75/16 so I think 8.5" with a skid plate on an empty van is likely. Will update first two posts when I get to a flat location.

View attachment 138560

View attachment 138558
What is your front cross member height from the ground?

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
What is your front cross member height from the ground?
It's in Post 2 of 2 above. 12".

It's also 10" at the lowest point on the control arm next to the tire, but I'd always try to steer over a large obstacle so it passed 4-6" left or right of center to see if I could get it to pass through the gap between the rear diff skid plate and the rear shock mounts. Worst case I'd hit the skid plate, which has a 12" front side height.

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
Updated posts above, but here it is to bump the thread:

Back side re-measured on level concrete, right at 8.25" with skid plate on empty van (will likely drop to 7.5" after the build, but now I can impact the plate):

Shock mount re-measured clearance:

Next Up (in ballpark but surely not fixed order):

1) Scopema passenger install.

2) Wall/Roof Insulation with 3M SM600L 70' from Impact Products. May temporarily hang with rare earth magnets, but can't wait for it to be insulated.

3) Webasto Airtop 2000 STC Petrol heater w/default rheostat so I can do the high altitude lifehack adjustment (and just leave it there, slightly less heat but no need to adjust every time you go up/down).

4) Floor install, minicell and 1" XPS foam, either birch plywood or some other composite with vinyl top, then may use inexpensive rugs (swap out every few years) for a softer surface.

5). Platform to house the power system, isolate from vibrations, heating/cooling as necessary, etc.

6) Install and configure inverter/shore-charging 20kWh battery bank system, with expansion for alternator charging later (once Nations finishes their 275/24V + wakespeed solution, and possibly still the 48V APS alternator, but there's no decent mount for it yet).

7). Install zero-clearance adjustable bed frame and bed. Can't wait to be at this step!

8) Estopp Push button parking brake. It's gonna be a PITA but worth it. Got one $491 out the door.

9...10, endless more fridge, microwave, plumbing, tanks, etc, most likely to occur simultaneously or in some cases (tanks) before the others.

11). Fujitsu 33 seer or Carrier 42 seer mini-split install. Can it be done? I have an idea for how to pull it off, but it's so pricey not sure I'll end up doing this. Would love to have that 9k btu at a mere 215 watts from the Carrier unit though. That's some serious efficiency!

Cheers.

1 - 20 of 291 Posts