Ford Transit USA Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for a very beefy generator to run about 4,000 watts peak, in a food service conversion (powering large refrigeration, heaters, etc). The generator will be hitch mounted, so sound (and reliability) are the primary concerns.

Is the recommendation still for these Honda units or are there other units on the market now?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
RV and standby generators would concern me because they are not designed for continuous duty.

I had a 4,000 Watt Onan and it struggled with less than 30 Amps (3,600 Watts), so if designing for 4,000 peak, I’d go up to at least 5,500 Watt generator.

Also, you did not mention whether you need 240V, but I’m guessing you might. Smaller generators are usually 120 Volts.

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
Standby ratings are kind of meaningless, At least for commercial generators. At work we have had standby rated Caterpillar's running 16 hours a day, 7 Days a week at or near maximum standby rated load. These generators last for years with regular engine rebuilds every 3 years, They are as durable as our prime power rated generators.
The only thing I do not like about the standby rated generators is the power output (Kw) is de-rated about 12 percent bellow our prime power rated generators with the same engine.

·
Registered
587 Posts
I'm looking for a very beefy generator to run about 4,000 watts peak, in a food service conversion (powering large refrigeration, heaters, etc). The generator will be hitch mounted, so sound (and reliability) are the primary concerns.

Is the recommendation still for these Honda units or are there other units on the market now?

Thanks!
YES! YES! and YES! HONDA is the best! I have a Honda Gen. for my 3,000sqft home for backup power and have had to use it many times. It had 300 hours on it from a Honda dealer trad in from a food truck company they sell to for the fleet of trucks they have.

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
I think Wen and Yamaha make the quietest , I went with a Honda because it was a little more compact and at the time I was told that it was the quietest.
My next generator will most likely be a Wen maybe a Yamaha.
The Wen is way less money , I plan to run them ragged until they croak and then swap in a new one and use the old one for parts.
Also I believe in having back ups. backups that swap in easily.

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
The predator series from harbor freight are Honda clones and just as good and quieter. They work great and are so much cheaper you can buy 3 for the same price. Get better mileage too.

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
I just watched a video that showed that the Predator is quieter then the Wen , the bad thing is that the Predator is bulkier then the Honda and takes up more space.
For the OP , Harbor freight has a 3500 watt Predator on a red tag sale right now.
I don't recall the price but it was cheap.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts