Ford Transit USA Forum banner
41 - 50 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
3,789 Posts
"Just add a vehicle-run signal to shut off the DC-DC when engine isn't running." ;)
Load shed is to protect the vehicle voltage when running. Ford seems to be very emphatic about the need for that. Conservative for a relatively small additional load. Probably, but IIRC they have load shed on both the 60A and 170A CCPs. Doubt they would spend even the small $ if it was not necessary. Not worth the chance seeing the signal is provided and with a DC-DC you'd probably just need a really cheap low voltage relay in the vehicle run signal line to add that functionality.

Removing the engine run signal with the load shed signal/relay either shuts off the DC-DC directly or raises the charge on voltage trigger of the DC-DC above the level that caused the load shed signal, depending on the way the different B to B's use that signal. No need to even use a high voltage relay in the POS battery input.

Just my $0.02 based on my interpretation of the BEMM.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
I am at the point in my build where I'm starting to get into the electrical in earnest. Fully insulated, heater is in, floor is down. I want to start mounting my systems and routing my electrical as I proceed with framing the ceiling and walls and the rest of the interior buildout. Here's what I have on hand so far for electrical:
-Batteries: 2 x 100ah SOK LIFEPO4 Batteries (https://www.sokbattery.com/products/100ah-12v-lifepo4-deep-cycle-battery)
-Controller: Smart Solar MPPT 100/30 (https://www.victronenergy.com/solar-charge-controllers/smartsolar-100-30-100-50)
-B2B Charger: Renogy 40A, to be connected to CCP1 with 50A breaker (12V 40A DC to DC On-Board Battery Charger)
-Inverter: Xantrex Prowatt Sw 1000 Inverter (Power Inverter, Pure Sine Wave Inverter, Marine Inverter, PROwatt SW)

I am looking to put ~400W of solar on the roof. I know the 400W solaria panel is a good option, but based on difficulty sourcing and installing, I am leaning towards two 200W panels. I have the Vent installed in the forward position on the roof (see image below). I'd like to mount the solar panels behind the fan, and am not planning on having anything else on the roof. So my thinking is to mount two panels East - West behind the vent. I'm hoping to keep the mounting as simple and low weight as possible, while still maintaining a clean look - and I don't want to depend on VHB tape.

Panel-wise, I like the idea of two 24V 200Watt panels in parallel. The best option I've found from a size perspective are the Rich Solar panels, at 58.7 x 26.8 x 1.4 in (https://richsolar.com/products/200-watt-24-volt-solar-panel). These seem like they would play nicely with the existing mounting points. Wondering if anyone has any experience with these panels or has recommendations on others. Also open to any other thoughts on mounting and the electrical system in general.

Car Land vehicle Vehicle Automotive tire Hood

·
Registered
111 Posts
Wondering if anyone has any experience with these panels or has recommendations on others. Also open to any other thoughts on mounting and the electrical system in general.
I have a single Rich Solar panel that you are considering (24V, 200W). Works great so far; have only had it installed for about a month. Max power output so far was 150W, which I think is pretty good considering flat mount and late October sun angle at Washington DC latitude. For my single panel install, the 24V panel was important to ensure I had adequate voltage to maximize charging hours. I get around 46V max, and the low-light voltage is sufficient to keep charging pretty much all day, even if the power output gets pretty low. Works great while traveling when I can optimize sun exposure; when parked at home on a city street, I only get 5-15W output due to tree canopy and building shade. Enough to almost offset the non-stop 4W Victron Cerbo consumption..

·
Registered
111 Posts
...forgot to include a pic of the install. Dimensions of the panel (58.7") work great for width of the Transit. I used Hein's V2 brackets with 1-1/2" aluminum angle which gives low profile. Unnoticeable impact on fuel economy and noise.

Wheel Tire Car Automotive tire Motor vehicle

·
Premium Member
1,187 Posts
Here is a photo of a 59 inch inch x 26 inch panels on a Transit.

Also mounted on 1515 rails.

The panel shown is similar but a solarland version.

In general I don't sell solar panels - this was just for someone doing some work on site on their Transit. The solarlands like that are a mechanically tougher panel but the price is a bit high. I bought those from unbound solar. Northern Arizona wind and sun also sells them.

I am a big believer in poly panels for people living in coastal / overcast areas. 3 years ago I would not have believed it but now I do.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Those ones are working fine for me. Not sure they're as "200W" as they say... but they've worked fine since last January or whatever.
How far forward of the front bracket is the panel? I can try to fit 3 of these sideways or just go 2 Newpowa 210 long ways. Maybe having Newpowa mounted further back to help mpg would be best if these aren't quite doing advertised numbers.

·
Registered
2020 High-Extended AWD EcoBoost Cargo with windows
2,036 Posts
How far forward of the front bracket is the panel? I can try to fit 3 of these sideways or just go 2 Newpowa 210 long ways. Maybe having Newpowa mounted further back to help mpg would be best if these aren't quite doing advertised numbers.
Not sure I follow. The front bracket mount point? Not far. Just behind the little shark-fin antenna thing. I keep saying I'll do a fairing eventually... but it keeps not being a priority. Pretty sure going to the front plus a fairing is about right with the crazy forehead on this thing.

Car Hood Automotive tire Plant Vehicle

41 - 50 of 50 Posts