Ford Transit USA Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was planning on using VHB tape to secure sealed oak wood furring to the van floor to then screw the 1/2” plywood floor to - this would allow for some movement as others on the forum have suggested. However, between the different rib heights and slightly warped 1” x 2” furring, the tape wouldn’t hold in many places and would make a smacking sound every time I stepped on the furring.
Floor construction includes PVC furring strips in places without ribs glued with Liquid Nails Fuzz It to support 3/4” XPS which is topped by 1/2” Baltic birch plywood. The XPS may be glued to the plywood at some future date. The floor is designed to be removable to accommodate future upgrades. I also “trimmed” the areas around the sliding door step, cab, and rear doors with 3/8” PVC to provide an edge to attach the oak furring. The XPS fits in between the east/west oak furring placed at 4’ on-center and oak “trim”.

Options I’ve considered include the following:
-3M 5200 sealant adhesive will glue metal to wood and is flexible but will not adhere to PVC

-Just use Fuzz It which adheres to almost everything - not flexible

-Or maybe a combination of 5200 on metal ribs and VHB on the PVC furring to retain some movement capabilities - might create a slightly wavy floor with the different thickness of VHB and 5200.

-Use the 5200 for wood to metal and just not glue to the PVC
Any other thoughts? Thanks!

·
Registered
497 Posts
5200 is considered permanent. 4200 is very strong and considered semi permanent. I would only use 5200 on something that will never, ever be taken apart.

·
Registered
17 350 XLT HD passenger van converted
325 Posts
I actually like the Fuze stuff. I would try that. I've used it ALOT in my build.

·
Registered
458 Posts
5200 is considered permanent. 4200 is very strong and considered semi permanent. I would only use 5200 on something that will never, ever be taken apart.
ever ever ever ever, Ever.
I have taken things apart,But it's NEVER pretty.

People way over think floors, my 2 cents.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I actually like the Fuze stuff. I would try that. I've used it ALOT in my build.
Where did you use the Fuze and what did you glue with it? I might be overestimating the amount of flex in my van and trying to accommodate something that doesn’t exist.

·
Registered
17 350 XLT HD passenger van converted
325 Posts
I used it wood to metal and wood to wood and in both cases have had good results.

When it dries it's like a pretty firm caulk that has a tad of give.

For the more important structural things I used 5200 or even 3m windoweld. Both of those are not going anywhere.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I used it wood to metal and wood to wood and in both cases have had good results.

When it dries it's like a pretty firm caulk that has a tad of give.

For the more important structural things I used 5200 or even 3m windoweld. Both of those are not going anywhere.
Thanks - I’ll likely do the same then.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts