Ford Transit USA Forum banner

41 - 51 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
5,544 Posts
I am also a ME if you can call an ME who graduated 60 years ago an ME. Was never a technically qualified engineer but education was good enough that I was able to earn a living self employed for over 40 years. Designed packaging lines, conveyors and packaging machines. At least some people thought I knew what I was doing. Had to become self employed since my personality did not fit very well in corporations.

Never considered designing things to be work. Always fun to invent something new. Van conversions are just something to keep making something that is interesting.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I am also a ME if you can call an ME who graduated 60 years ago an ME. Was never a technically qualified engineer but education was good enough that I was able to earn a living self employed for over 40 years. Designed packaging lines, conveyors and packaging machines. At least some people thought I knew what I was doing. Had to become self employed since my personality did not fit very well in corporations.

Never considered designing things to be work. Always fun to invent something new. Van conversions are just something to keep making something that is interesting.
We are one in the same my man. STAY RAD!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Wow, why did I not find your site earlier, I didn't realize you had this all set up. Looks like you are providing a very valuable resource, this is spectacular. Good on Ya(y)

·
Registered
5,544 Posts
Wow, why did I not find your site earlier, I didn't realize you had this all set up. Looks like you are providing a very valuable resource, this is spectacular. Good on Ya(y)
There is a lot of information and printable PDF drawings on the site. Some of the build ideas may be useful to others. What I did may not fit what others want. There is also a video of the build on U-tube. The upper menu on the build site has a link to the video.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I spent some time at the dealer last weekend measuring and photographing. I have it all up in github repository here:
https://github.com/natecostello/van_two_point_oh/tree/master/reference/vehicle_dimensions/manual_measurements

I've also started producing an interior sketchup model based on these measurements that can be found in this part of the repository:

https://github.com/natecostello/van_two_point_oh/tree/master/arrangements
(the file you probably want is "Transit_Dimensions_measured.skp" right click the 'raw' button and save as if you aren't familiar with github or don't want to fork the entire repo)

Assumptions and disclaimers on the model here:
notes_on_dimensions.md

Hope this helps. I wish I could have found the same info without a field trip. Also feel free to poke around the repo and offer any suggestions..its a work in progress and just away to capture thoughts and concepts.

(This is a 2020 AWD Extended)
Looks like this would be a great resource but github has always seemed so confusing to me. Is it just a list of links?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Looks like this would be a great resource but github has always seemed so confusing to me. Is it just a list of links?
It's a "repository" of files, which can be navigated by links. I tried to point to the areas of the the repo that were relevant to the discussion at hand. You can also download a zip file of the entire repository and poke around on your own computer offline. It's probably a little over a GB due to the images and video clips of the measurements.

Git and Github are generally used for code version control and management, but increasingly its finding a use for non-code based general design.

·
Registered
15 Posts
It isn't about how many thousandths of an inch each individual point is within. It's about modeling the actual curves, openings, and overall dimensions within some usable accuracy. No existing free or reasonably priced model checks these boxes.

How accurate? Depends what you're doing.

If designing a product, you need to know the range of dimensions that are possible (build tolerances) so that your product can be designed to fit properly.

For a self-build, it's a function of how accurately you can build. I'd be thrilled with a model that contained all sheet metal surface details within 1/16". I can build with wood within 1/32" on a good day, but the material grows and shrinks and not all days are great.

We've been through this many times before and the argument that it isn't needed is moot. I've worked without it, but it would have gone faster and better with it.

No doubt it's a generational thing.
Well written my friend. Start a convo if there's something I can help you with. STAY RAD!

·
Registered
4 Posts
I spent some time at the dealer last weekend measuring and photographing. I have it all up in github repository here:
https://github.com/natecostello/van_two_point_oh/tree/master/reference/vehicle_dimensions/manual_measurements

I've also started producing an interior sketchup model based on these measurements that can be found in this part of the repository:

(the file you probably want is "Transit_Dimensions_measured.skp" right click the 'raw' button and save as if you aren't familiar with github or don't want to fork the entire repo)

notes_on_dimensions.md

Hope this helps. I wish I could have found the same info without a field trip. Also feel free to poke around the repo and offer any suggestions..its a work in progress and just away to capture thoughts and concepts.

This is awesome! Now time to fumble around in SketchUp!🤣 Thanks!!

·
Registered
5,544 Posts
No doubt it's a generational thing.
Thanks for the elder abuse. :)

3D is very useful for visualizing the build and determining how all the different components fit in the space. Not a requirement for some builders who have the ability to see things in 3D without a computer or for people who use cardboard aided design. IMO 3D is useful for visualizing the complete build but is not a requirement for the actual build.

After some thought I believe my method of building influenced my comments. I have a 80/20 framework that bolts to the van floor. All the lower cabinets are built up from the frame. The floor frame is like a house foundation. Cabinets bolt to the floor frame. The configuration of the surface of the walls is not important nor is the location of the roof. The front frame of the cabinet bolts to the floor frame. The floor frame is the bottom member of the cabinet front frame. Measure distance between the floor frame up to the roof to determine the vertical height of the front frame. Where you want to tie the front frame to the van side wall you just measure between the front frame to the wall and cut the extrusion a bit short. Using 80/20 for the horizontal extrusion provides a slot at the wall end. The end of the extrusion does not touch the wall. The angle that bolts to the wall spans the gap between the extrusion end and the wall.

For overhead cabinets the process is reversed. A horizontal extrusion is bolted to the roof ribs for the top member of the cabinet. The extrusion is the top member of the front frame. Then the vertical cabinet extrusions are bolted to the rib extrusion and the bottom horizontal extrusion is added. Once the front frame is bolted in place you measure from the front frame back to the wall to determine the width of the plywood floor that bolts between the front frame and the wall.

There are some other details but the above illustrates that the exact location of the walls and roof are not important.

·
Registered
5 Posts

notes_on_dimensions.md

Great SketchUp skills! I just borrowed it to convert into a LWB that I'm modelling. Our measurements were within an inch, so my plans remain intact lol.

41 - 51 of 51 Posts