Ford Transit USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I apologize in advance if this subject has been discussed but I could not find anything using the thread search.
I am looking for 3D CAD geometry of a 148 High Roof Extended Transit. Can anyone point me to a source?
Thanks

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
None exist of high accuracy or detail that I've been able to find... and I have most certainly looked.

I have been working with a SolidWorks model mostly of my own creation, using sketches derived from actual measurements upon which to design and build other components.

Unless you're using SolidWorks, my model is unlikely to be of much use, as typically only the solids are translated into the free 3D software packages like Fusion360 and SketchUp.

·
Premium Member
26 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
100% accurate dimensions to the finest of detail to the .004 thou of any high roof van on the market are available.

·
Registered
15 Posts
We have the ford oem models (from ford motor company) to compare our models to for accuracy along with the lots of outlier data we have collected from build LOTS of ford transits.

·
Registered
15 Posts
We have the ford oem models (from ford motor company) to compare our models to for accuracy along with the lots of outlier data we have collected from LOTS of ford transits.

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
100% accurate dimensions to the finest of detail to the .004 thou of any high roof van on the market are available.
Are you just going to be a tease, or give a link?

Everything I've seen to date is either completely inaccurate, simplified beyond usefulness, or priced so that only a business could afford it.

·
Registered
667 Posts
Are you just going to be a tease, or give a link?

Everything I've seen to date is either completely inaccurate, simplified beyond usefulness, or priced so that only a business could afford it.
He now has you right where he want you. Wait for it....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
15 Posts
Accurate. Prices should be affordable to most serious designers. There is some more lead time involved on the Transit HR but getting there. Specific sections are available now but will not posting links here sorry its been years of work. Insta best way to reach us.

·
Registered
5,531 Posts
The real question is: Do you need accurate interior dimensions to build a single conversion?

I spent several hours inside a van at the Ford dealer with a tape measure to obtain all the dimensions I needed to do my build. Did that before my van was delivered so I could work on the design before I had the van. Used 2D CAD to design the build with 80/20. All cabinets fit as designed without any modifications. Certainly no need for 3D or accurate dimensions.

Dimensions were needed to build the 80/20 floor structure. Then cabinets were designed to bolt to the floor structure. Where cabinets were bolted to the van walls you simply use a tape measure to determine the extrusion length required when installing. Hung the two overhead cabinet front faces from the roof ribs and then measured back to the walls to get cabinet floor dimension.

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
It isn't about how many thousandths of an inch each individual point is within. It's about modeling the actual curves, openings, and overall dimensions within some usable accuracy. No existing free or reasonably priced model checks these boxes.

How accurate? Depends what you're doing.

If designing a product, you need to know the range of dimensions that are possible (build tolerances) so that your product can be designed to fit properly.

For a self-build, it's a function of how accurately you can build. I'd be thrilled with a model that contained all sheet metal surface details within 1/16". I can build with wood within 1/32" on a good day, but the material grows and shrinks and not all days are great.

We've been through this many times before and the argument that it isn't needed is moot. I've worked without it, but it would have gone faster and better with it.

No doubt it's a generational thing.

Reactions: @dansvansco

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Probably true. Us old folks know how to build things without a fancy 3 D model.
I really don't understand your condescending tone on this issue. Fine if you don't see the need, but that doesn't mean it isn't useful to others.

·
Registered
5,531 Posts
I really don't understand your condescending tone on this issue. Fine if you don't see the need, but that doesn't mean it isn't useful to others.
Your " No doubt it is a generational thing" was not condescending?

One has to understand a little humor in the reply to your reference about old people. :)

If a person wants to take the time to model the entire van interior to +/- .004" then that is their choice. All I said was building a conversion does not require that level of accuracy.

·
Registered
2018 T250 MR 3.7L
27 Posts
I am older than dirt but I would love to have a good 3D cad model (esp. for interior layouts) before doing my build. I use Solidworks professionally and believe me it allows visualization and design optimization that pays off when you get to the build phase.

Sure, you can measure the van and use templates to come up with a design on paper or use a 2d layout program of some kind. But a good 3D model allows for much better efficiency and better results. Don't knock it just because you don't have that experience or have the tools available.

The few third party sources that seem to have detailed 3D cad models seem to want $250 to $600 or more for detailed models that include the interior and that is not unreasonable at all for company in business to retrofit Transits but it is a hard pill to swallow for an individual doing a one-off build. But I may decide to spend that if I can be confident to get a 3D model that is accurate and usable.

3D model from Hum3D - Worth it or Waste?

I would like to hear more from folks that have purchased 3D cad models and what their experiences are.

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Your " No doubt it is a generational thing" was not condescending?
Not in the least.

I suspect I'm about half your age, but the comment also applies to myself no less for many things. To take that comment personally implies a considerable amount of insecurity.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts