Ford Transit USA Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Super Moderator
4,720 Posts
I added a separate panel behind the driver's seat on mine with a switch so I can power it either from the 30 minute circuit or direct for just those situations. pix and diagram in my Garage

AFAIK there is no way to select always on for the factory outlets other than rewiring them.

· Premium Member
384 Posts
Just posted a similar question before seeing yours. I want to charge my phone when the van is off.
AFAIK , the dual batt setup is designed to isolate itself after 30 minutes and by coming straight off the batteries w any accessories/wiring, you are in effect bypassing some relay and rendering the isolation circuit useless.
I BELIEVE one of the batteries is meant entirely for starting and the other for accessories.

· Super Moderator
4,720 Posts
One way to keep your phone charging when the van is off:
1. tap into a fuse that powers an always-on option that may not be even installed on your van, there are several of them like power seats, etc.
2. replace one of the 12v outlets with a USB port one:

3.Install a switch that lets you select from either the original positive wire or the one you tapped into
(it helps if you use a switch that lights when you select always on)

The dual batteries are wired in parallel and not isolated from each other.
There are fused CCP posts on the side of the driver's seat intended for connecting always-on circuits from the batteries.

· Registered
27 Posts
Is there an easy, on-the-road solution to this? I'm on a short notice cross country drive to memorial, with my brand new dometic loaded with beef and dairy, plugged into the starter battery 12v outlet. Hadn't realized this issue. Any advice?

· Registered
2020 High-Extended AWD EcoBoost Cargo with windows
5,246 Posts
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.