Ford Transit USA Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Considering a switch to the transit, but all I can find in my area are 3.7's with 3.73 gears - noticied there was a mpg thread for the 3.5 and wondering if 3.7 owners would chime in here? Id be most interested in hearing from medium/high roofs, with longer wheelbases. Thanks fellas.

·
Registered
55 Posts
2015 3.7L Med roof, LWB. Just measured 20.5mpg driving through the mtns in CO, including a couple mountain passes. This is consistent with previous tests as well. High winds will decrease this quite a bit though.

·
Registered
4,673 Posts
3.7 MR cargo
60/40 city/highway driving
87 octane
Mostly unloaded with one occupant
15.4 mpg average over 61k miles
Long highway trips are about 17-18 mpg
Best ever for a tank was 18.8 mpg
I drive like an old man, 65-70 on the highway, no quick starts in town.

The Transit gets deplorable MPG, with all engines. At least it's a cheap van to buy, so that offsets the fuel cost on the balance sheet.
My previous 2003 Sprinter averaged 25mpg, and had a 650+ mile range on the same size tank as the Transit. But, diesel, which is no longer a good financial choice of engine.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I have a 2015 MR passenger van with 4.10 gears. With a small built-in and seating for 7 on average (aftermarket seat system) my trip computers shows an average of 15.7 mpg (mixed driving).

In the 3600 miles that I've owned it I have averaged 15.24 mpg (minimum was 13.84 mpg and max was 17.4 mpg). This past weekend I averaged 15 mpg over 500 miles running with heavy side winds and cruise set at 78 mph (5 people and camping gear for the weekend).

Thanks,
Mat

·
Registered
29 Posts
I have a 2015 with the 350 cargo van package. It is High Roof, Extended with the 3.7L engine and the 4.10 LSD. I have been driving it while my regular car is in the shop and am getting a very consistent 15.8 miles per gallon on mostly highway miles in commuter traffic. My van is not built out yet, so the weight is at a minimum.

15.8 mpg

·
Registered
57 Posts
2019 148" WB Medium Roof, 3.7L with a 3.73 axle gear ratio. and 1000 miles on the odometer. Van was empty aside from a Full-size bed mattress, bedding and some clothing bags.

Currently 18.4 mpg, but I'm easy on the gas. I'm also in the Midwest, where things are less hilly, relatively speaking. Note that the vehicle had 212 miles on it when I bought it, with a 15.5-mpg average when I picked it up. After two longer trips and a few around-town errands, I improved it to 18.4 (without running A/C). I've never been a heavily A/C-dependent person in the vehicle, as I prefer to have the windows down instead.

Craig

·
Registered
35 Posts
I’m not doing something right. 3.5 EcoBoost with 3.31 gears / 13.5 MPG.. I’m disappointed with mileage! but love my Transit!

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
My 3.7L is probably around 17 mpg mostly highway driving with just a little bit of a load .
I will be giving more accurate numbers soon and plus a updated weight of my van.

I like to calculate how many cents per mile it costs me in gas , for example at current gas prices of $2.50 per gallon it costs about 17 cents per mile in gas to drive my van , then i can multiply that 17 cents by how many miles I drove to a particular place and that gives me a perspective of how much money i'm spending just to drive , this can be a real eye opener to get me to change my driving destination or to reduce driving.

·
Registered
265 Posts
I can get 50+mpg resetting my mpg meter going downhill and coasting, or 20 mpg resetting mpg while at steady state on the freeway but that's not really helpful. If you want real world continuous hand calculated mpg for each fill up with no cherry picked results and no exceptions (hard data) then look at my signature for my fuelly mpg. Real world MPG also includes bumper to bumper traffic, sitting at lights, idling in a parking lot waiting to pick someone up and remote starting your vehicle and letting it heat up for 20 minutes in your driveway. Low Roof, extended 15 passenger wagon 3.7 engine. 50/50 real world mix city/highway.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Miles 19,828
Gallons 1302.801
MPG 15.22
Cost 3263.57
Cost/mile 0.1646

All calculated after Quigley and Sportsmobile conversions to the present.

Best is 18.94 mpg; worst is 11.55 mpg on the Kansas interstate in heavy wind and probably crappy gas.
Next worst is 13.18 also in wind on the Kansas interstate and who knows what kind of gas they were selling.
Been getting close to 16 mpg for the past 5 fill-ups.
Camper is used lightly - only 21,800 total miles.
It has some weight to it and two solar panels and a fan on the roof. The solar panels are at the back of the 130 WB and stick up about 2 inches above the medium height roof.
Mix of highway and local. Plenty of hills and short trips. Usually light on the pedal. Not always.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I have a 2018 MR 148 cargo van with Eco boost with 3.73 rear end.

When empty i could easily get 19mpg on the open road. Now that i have a bed, a few cabinets and a roof rack. I'm seeing 15-17mpg on the open road. Sometimes worse if I'm in the mountains. Around town is a little worse. For me the roof rack was the biggest killer of MPG.

If you tow anything, the 3.73 is nice.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts