Ford Transit USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody else with an Eco Boost have issues with warped exhaust manifolds or broken studs?

I had the driver side bolts break and the manifold was warped, replaced under warranty.

Now my passenger side is doing the same. I can hear a faint whistle under load when cold. It expands and goes away when warm. These are the same symptoms as occurred on the driver side.

I spoke with CR Performance who agreed their upgraded manifolds should fit fine on the Transits. They are thicker, reducing the potential for warping.

http://crpengineering.com/cr-performance-engineering/f-150-ecoboost-3-5l-full-bore-performance-manifolds-now-in-stock/

They claim the following for the trucks, I'd be most impressed to see 1-2 mpg gain!

I will be installing next week and will report back as to the results.

– High performance larger runners provide 45% more flow over stock with no restriction throughout the RPM range
– Ready to support over 650 HP of flow
– Dyno proven quicker spool times
– Removes restriction of front cylinders as seen on stock manifolds, equalizing cylinder pressures
– Port matched to turbocharger turbine housing (Unlike OEM Manifolds)
– Thick wall durable High Sil Steel resists warping without cracking
– Dyno proven gains on completely stock truck of 12 RWHP 18 RW ft-lbs with massive area under the curve( 340 RWHP & 387 ft-lbs with Box SCT Tuner )(DYNO-mite Eddy Current Dyno, Stock 2014 F-150 with SCT Tuner)
– Users can expect exponential further gains when matched with other performance products pushing flow past the stock manifold abilities or in combination with Custom Tuning
– Users can expect 1-2 MPG fuel savings with improved manifold port geometry

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Got these installed last week. No more whistling and noticeable increase in throttle response and torque. Definitely a worthwhile upgrade if you have to replace a warped manifold or a broken stud anyways!

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Who did the install for you?
I had a mechanic in SoCal do it. He said the install was not easy though.... He works out of a shop and his home in the high desert. He mostly does rally car prep and larger commercial vehicles. Very honesty and thorough guy!

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
Who did the install for you?
I had a mechanic in SoCal do it. He said the install was not easy though.... He works out of a shop and his home in the high desert. He mostly does rally car prep and larger commercial vehicles. Very honesty and thorough guy!
Care to share his info? I'd be interested in getting this done as preventative maintenance.

·
Registered
3,394 Posts
Care to share his info? I'd be interested in getting this done as preventative maintenance.
I know you've been bitten by a few component failures but those had happened to a few more people than exhaust manifold failures.

You'll generally have advance warning and it won't strand you in the desert like your Fuel Pump Driver or Throttle Body failures.

Given the expense and the extent of this surgery (possibly introducing more problems) and your frugality, is this worth it as prevention?

·
Registered
2,396 Posts
I know you've been bitten by a few component failures but those had happened to a few more people than exhaust manifold failures.

You'll generally have advance warning and it won't strand you in the desert like your Fuel Pump Driver or Throttle Body failures.

Given the expense and the extent of this surgery (possibly introducing more problems) and your frugality, is this worth it as prevention?
Whaaaaaaaaaaaat!!!?!?!?! Think of the performance gains! >:D

·
Registered
1,367 Posts

I might be paranoid but I feel like lately when cold my driver side turbo is a little louder than it used to be. Visually nothing seems wrong though.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have the warped manifold diagnosis on Both Sides! The doctor says give me $5500 to take care of that and replace the Two catalytic convertors that are now performing below spec since this issue has been driven with for more than 10k miles and are, according to them, ruined. I will have multiple sheared manifold studs to extract from the motor.

I have 115k miles on the van. I first heard the noise while pulling a mildly heavy load at about 98k miles. Unfortunately, I couldn't take it in due to being married to my small business and using the van daily for work. That mistake will cost me the full $5500 ("plus tax") or the amount of time and parts I can scrounge together.

Time to find a shade tree, blow torch, solder iron and zip ties to bust this out my self. (kidding)

I do like the thicker manifolds above, but this van has failed me so many times in such a small amount of miles, Im probably going back to Sprinter after this. HAVE YOU SEEN THE '19's??!

WHY WOULD FORD GIVE US S*T MANIFOLDS? you get what you pay for, maybe?

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
I have the warped manifold diagnosis on Both Sides! The doctor says give me $5500 to take care of that and replace the Two catalytic convertors that are now performing below spec since this issue has been driven with for more than 10k miles and are, according to them, ruined. I will have multiple sheared manifold studs to extract from the motor.

I have 115k miles on the van. I first heard the noise while pulling a mildly heavy load at about 98k miles. Unfortunately, I couldn't take it in due to being married to my small business and using the van daily for work. That mistake will cost me the full $5500 ("plus tax") or the amount of time and parts I can scrounge together.

Time to find a shade tree, blow torch, solder iron and zip ties to bust this out my self. (kidding)

I do like the thicker manifolds above, but this van has failed me so many times in such a small amount of miles, Im probably going back to Sprinter after this. HAVE YOU SEEN THE '19's??!

WHY WOULD FORD GIVE US S*T MANIFOLDS? you get what you pay for, maybe?
Can you describe the noise you heard? Any updates? Any performance issues from that?

Anyone else with noisy turbos and manifold issues?

I check all my hoses and hose clamps and tightened everything my noise is still there.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have had this issue and took it back to the "stealership" for the repair, that was at 42000. Now at 50k I have it again on the driver side. Going back to the Stealership as I can only assume that it was done very poorly the first time around.
I would be interested to know the frequency of this problem and how well the aftermarket manifolds work and hold up.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I have had this issue and took it back to the "stealership" for the repair, that was at 42000. Now at 50k I have it again on the driver side. Going back to the Stealership as I can only assume that it was done very poorly the first time around.
I would be interested to know the frequency of this problem and how well the aftermarket manifolds work and hold up.
The manifold has been holding up for the past ~40k miles with no issues with plenty of towing and long hauls up Southern California passes.

Although it doesn't seem like a widespread issue just based on the very few responses this thread has gotten but maybe it goes unreported, who knows.

·
Registered
179 Posts
It is common on the F150 Ecoboost as well. My transit has the issue now. Broken exhaust studs. Not a fan of paying the dealer $10k to fix it.

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
592 Posts
Wasn't aware of this thread and started my own story.....

https://www.fordtransitusaforum.com/engine-technical-discussion/77252-exhaust-manifold-bolt-failure.html

Two questions:

1 Are the manifolds warping causing the bolts to snap, or are the bolts snapping causing the manifold to then warp?

2 Has anyone looked at beefing up the studs? It's aluminum. A quick tap and an oversized bolt? Also have to enlarge the holes in the manifold of course. But, a few thousandths makes a huge difference....Not sure how much meat there is in the head....

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Wasn't aware of this thread and started my own story.....

https://www.fordtransitusaforum.com/engine-technical-discussion/77252-exhaust-manifold-bolt-failure.html

Two questions:

1 Are the manifolds warping causing the bolts to snap, or are the bolts snapping causing the manifold to then warp?

2 Has anyone looked at beefing up the studs? It's aluminum. A quick tap and an oversized bolt? Also have to enlarge the holes in the manifold of course. But, a few thousandths makes a huge difference....Not sure how much meat there is in the head....
Great question. I am not sure if chicken or egg... would be interested to know but not sure how one would test it. You'd have to find one with a broken bolt that hasn't warped or one warped that doesn't have a broken bolt. My guess would be the bolt breaks and then the manifold warps or shows warping. It could be "warping" without any visual issues which places extra stress on the bolt then causing it to snap.

Also a great thought, would be nice if someone made a kit with the CR manifolds with larger holes that also included a drill, tap, and the necessary upsized hardware. Hmmm. Maybe I'll look into this more!

·
Registered
139 Posts
Can you describe the noise you heard? Any updates? Any performance issues from that?

Anyone else with noisy turbos and manifold issues?

I check all my hoses and hose clamps and tightened everything my noise is still there.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Sounds like a chirping noise on acceleration. Had to have the cylinder heads replaced because the studs wouldn’t come out.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts