Ford Transit USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking at vans and so far I've been more interested in the EcoBoost due to better performance all around (power, efficiency, etc.).

Any reasons I should consider the 3.7?

·
Registered
168 Posts
I love my 3.7 but I do not plan to tow anything significant or haul heavy loads. The 3.7 is, in my opinion, a good engine that returns exemplary MPG when driven responsibly. YMMV
Do you have any idea how the mpg compares for the two engines (all else being equal)?

·
Registered
13 Posts
I believe the specs show about the same mileage with the ecoboost slightly better(?) I only know the ecoboost from my 2018 passenger van and I can say, it's surprisingly FAST. The acceleration shocked me. I love it.

·
Registered
176 Posts
I forgot to mention the reason why I went with the 3.7. While researching this vehicle purchase I spoke with a fleet manager who many had vans with both engines. He told me several of the 3.5EBs in his fleet needed new turbos at around 160k miles and most of his 3.7s went 300k miles without major failures.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Will you be driving in the mountains, towing heavy loads, or both? Do you have a yen for an unexpectedly quick box at traffic lights and on-ramps? If so, go Ecoboost. If not, either engine will do well for you.

·
Registered
33 Posts
each to their own....
my life experience has been 55 hp chevy sprint 3 cyl , 2.8 6 cyl 5 speed s-10, 4.3 rwd jimmy , 10 years in 4.3 s-10 zr2 never saw better than 17 mpg no matter how i drove it. 10 years in 4.6 crown vic. like um 15 mpg too much stop n go and heavy foot. interstate was 19+ though, but i never really drove interstate. Then 3 years in a 180,000 mile hybrid prius 44 mpg. do i ever loathe the cvt transmission stuff.

so went to test drive an 2018 EB hr standard HR 148 wb. 114k mile other than it had been dogged on with very loud knocking valves. I was thrown off with the turbo vibrations. which I also felt in the floor boards in my brothers EB F-150 on way to see the EB van.
while test driving the 2018 EB 1/2 mile up the road sat a 2019 23k mile 3.7 148 standard length HR. smooth!!!!!! I drove the 2019 home. so 3.7 won for me.

I don't plan on heavy loads, or trailer pulling. matter of fact I am not even sure how much I want to build it out even as a livable van. Its a short term living arrangement to go scout areas out west of where I might wish to buy property. so 6 months van life? just need room for multi bicycle, and stealth sleeping.

so the EB is amazing at power. 45-50 mph step on it and boom 75 mph and climbing! dang! (so maybe someday i want an Explorer or Taurus suv with 3,5 turbo!!!!)

in my case I bought 3.7 smooth over EB power. again I am the sensitive type. i can feel a rock stuck in tire tread. the turbo drone felt through the floor was unsettling (for me).

maybe I'll chgang my mind on power out west? but I also drove the chevy sprint 3 cyl 55hp car round trip ohio to california 3 times. I80 was fine. I-70 to except for I-70 rockies. sucked getting passed by semis uphill. but that car motor was tiredf at 130,k

does perspective play a role on the EB vs 3.7 choice ? It did for me.

running around empty in the 3,7 148" wb HR rural Ohio lots of 1 mile to a stop sign driving has been giving me 17.3 mpg according to computer.

FWIW just sharing.

my thinking on buying an EB was to do a van compass lift running a 32" tires with a higher geared rear end. but a 3.7 with 4.10 and just driving off the beaten path a 50-55 mph is same thing? now i don't even know if i want to lift it. regardless it's little personal things that sway the balance of the 3.5 vs 3.7 debate.

·
Super Moderator
2,562 Posts
Our first wagon was a 3.7 and the two we have now are EB. the 3.7 was perfectly adequate, yet the EB engines are more than adequate which is great.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Both are good. I used 3.7 for my business because I wanted a boring old reliable engine. I also drove EB for a company and man was it fun, test drive one to see for yourself.

What I would be concerned about is not the engines but the transmission. The 6 speed on my 3.7 would always find the highest gear to settle into which was annoying. Whether I'm going 30, 50 or 100 it seemed to settle at 1100rpm and it felt like I was always lugging the engine. I hated that transmission lol

·
Registered
33 Posts
Both are good. I used 3.7 for my business because I wanted a boring old reliable engine. I also drove EB for a company and man was it fun, test drive one to see for yourself.

What I would be concerned about is not the engines but the transmission. The 6 speed on my 3.7 would always find the highest gear to settle into which was annoying. Whether I'm going 30, 50 or 100 it seemed to settle at 1100rpm and it felt like I was always lugging the engine. I hated that transmission lol
so I should have forked over more $ for a 2020 with a 10 speed?

·
Registered
5,277 Posts
so I should have forked over more $ for a 2020 with a 10 speed?
No. I like the 6 speed. Do use the manual shifting and the Tow-Haul mode. I suspect 10 speed would be more difficult to use manually.

Another thing to consider is the Ecoboost operates at lower RPM so less wear on the engine. Offsetting that is the more complicated engine. But Ecoboost is more fun.

·
Registered
45 Posts
No. I like the 6 speed. Do use the manual shifting and the Tow-Haul mode. I suspect 10 speed would be more difficult to use manually.

Another thing to consider is the Ecoboost operates at lower RPM so less wear on the engine. Offsetting that is the more complicated engine. But Ecoboost is more fun.
Lower rpm may extend your engines life by 10-20% but transmissions don't like to be that low. It's strange though because my 15 year old Chevy holds 1800rpm until I'm just over a slightly inclined road, then cruises down to 1400. It just feels nicer to have some torque available rather than constantly downshifting as soon as I apply a hair of pressure on the pedal.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Do both motors use Regular (87) gas? Oil change intervals and cost the same? (wondering if the EgoBoost requires additional maintenance costs).

·
Registered
95 Posts
Yes, 87 on both.

The turbos are oil cooled so the Ecoboost is definitely harsher on the oil. Not sure how/if Ford adjusts oil life b/c of that on their maintenance minder, but it should be taken into consideration.

Turbos will need to be rebuilt at some point, depending on how well they are cooled. VW/Audi used the same K03 turbo, and owners used to see failures around 100k-150k, I'm not in touch w/ the F-150 forums to get a sense of what's common there.

·
Registered
2018 LR, 130WB Wagon
12 Posts
Lower rpm may extend your engines life by 10-20% but transmissions don't like to be that low. It's strange though because my 15 year old Chevy holds 1800rpm until I'm just over a slightly inclined road, then cruises down to 1400. It just feels nicer to have some torque available rather than constantly downshifting as soon as I apply a hair of pressure on the pedal.
I would agree with you. Too much emphasis on hitting the highest gear as soon as possible. Might have something to do with the onerous federal fuel efficiency mandates. But the same transmission provide a solution - and that is the excellent push button manual control right there on the stick. Works very well. I often keep it in the 5th.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I asked this question to a Ford mechanic. He recommended the 3.7 over the Ecoboost or the diesel. I wanted the most reliable engine to last 150,000 miles. He felt the 3.7 has a longer track record of reliability, and the Ecoboost is a high performance engine. High performance engines must be well maintained to have the same reliability.

Sadly, there is lots of information about the engines, but little that is beyond our personal experiences. When I've talked to Ford mechanics in general about Ford engines, 75% of the time recommend a normally aspirated Ford engine.

It would be great for someone like Consumer Reports to include the transit in the annual car edition.

It really comes down to what you need, and how likely you are to maintain it.

Good luck on whatever you choose.

·
Registered
2015 T250 Highroof 3.5 EcoBoost Lunar Gray.
7 Posts
I'm looking at vans and so far I've been more interested in the EcoBoost due to better performance all around (power, efficiency, etc.).

Any reasons I should consider the 3.7?
Only if an employee will be driving ( racing) it. The 3.7 is a fine motor but the 3.5 with it's cute little 28mm turbos is an incredible engine. I have a T250 high roof which probably weighs about 7000 lbs. and it will accelerate up an on ramp so fast you'll find yourself slowing to 65 to merge. Watch the YouTube video on the testing of a random 3.5 .
Do you have any idea how the mpg compares for the two engines (all else being equal)?
I get average 14.5 mpg driving at around 70mph combined with some in town driving. If I were to drive 55 probably around 17mpg.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts