Ford Transit USA Forum banner

41 - 52 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
552 Posts
I am just now seeing this thread, late to party as usual.

Not much to add really, but on this last summer’s 9000 mile adventure TX to OR / WA then CANADA and back via CO, I used the rocker switch on the gearshift quite a bit (think plenty of elevation change). From memory, I tried to keep highway revs near 2000 or above, especially if uphill. I screwed up more than once, leaving it in 4th long after I needed, because the EB is so smooth. I’ve learned to “pre-downshift” for passing, at least to 5th, maybe 4th, as there was a very noticeable pause If punching it at lower rpms in 6th.

Tow Haul is just a little too mindlessly aggressive at times, but I used it too. As my other vehicle has a stick shift (and a small turbo 4-cyl), I’ve learned being in the power band can be very important. If you are doddling along, there is nothing wrong with 1500 rpm or even less (IMHO), just don’t expect instant power or acceleration without a downshift. If on a gentle upgrade with needs for more oomph from time to time, I downshift to keep it closer to 2000, but certainly if on gentle slow downhill, there’s no need...unless you need engine braking.

In other words:

Note, the only risk to the engine is at load and low RPM, being at low load and low rpm is perfectly fine.
Also, if this (below) is true, there must be something my ECM doesn’t like at 1000-1400 rpm, because it just doesn’t react to throttle, until one-Missouri-two-Missouri, then violent 3-gear
downshift

...Even at 1000 RPM it has 260 ft lbs which is the same as the peak torque of the 3.7 at 4,250 rpm.
Although, I believe this:

According to the BEMM at 2000 rpm: 150 HP, 380 ft lbs, which is more torque than the diesel or 3.7 at any speed.

The ecoboost is a torque monster at any speed which makes it tempting to operate it at very low rpm in an effort to get better fuel economy by the user and the manufacturer to meet government requirements.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
71 Posts
I find this discussion of the tow haul mode and the heat buildup interesting. I’m buying a 2020 AWD cargo and I’m getting the hitch so I’ll be getting it with that option.
The 10 speed transmission and AWD will make it a different scenario. I’m really wanting to hear how this all shakes out. I can be persuaded to buy the new NA V6 instead of the eco boost if the info is good and it all works out better.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Does anyone know the gear ratios on the new 2020 Transit transmission w/3.5L ecoboost? Great topic. I'll be looking to avoid that burnt smell from the get-go.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
It's an automatic habit to hit the T/H button everytime I start the van. Every - time.

Then the rest of the time I slip into M mode and get my RPMs up above 2000 before I hit a hill. I like to climb between 2000-3000 rpm if not even higher.

41 - 52 of 52 Posts