Ford Transit USA Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good Day,

It's been a while since I've been here. I've been looking into a Skoolie build. That is still on the table, but researching 20 year old buses is a rabbit hole. Thus, my mind is back to Transits.

I can't find anything other than a small amount of anecdotal evidence on the longevity of a Transit HD with Ecoboost. How many miles is too many. I have one near me with over 120k. Your thoughts?

Joe

·
Registered
2,282 Posts
Might want to dig around the Ford pickup sites- they've had the 3.5 far longer than the vans.

·
Registered
645 Posts
Depends on how you drive

Might also depend on how well the engine has been taken care of. Carbon buildup can be an issue, as can timing chain stretch, as well as fuel dilution (of the oil). Everything can probably be addressed, but at some point, cost will outweigh benefit.

I wonder how the 3 engines compare in terms of longevity.

·
Registered
104 Posts
If you have seen the Ecoboost torture test used to show it is durable enough for police use you will wonder if our daily driving even with a heavy foot can hurt the thing. I have not seen how they hold up under police use yet which may be interesting.

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
From a performance perspective, the original 3.5 EcoBoost is a magnificent powerplant. Ford deserves rare kudos for the R&D and testing effort that went into its design. They had a lot riding on it back on the day when they started putting it into the F150, whose loyal customer base believed only growly V8s could pull a trailer. I believe the R&D effort paid off. I much prefer it's performance to my previous 5.4 V8.
Of you own one, keep it. It shows all the signs of having great longevity and might even become legendary in the fullness of time.
I only wish the rest of the Transit had the same level of R&D.

Sent from my ASUS_Z00TD using Tapatalk

·
Registered
25 Posts
My previous RV used the Ford 6.8L, V10 Triton engine … the 3.5 EB blows the doors off the V10 in terms of acceleration and mileage. The only potential issue I've read about, on the 3.5 EB, is the water pump.

My only concern with the Triton was a potential issue with the spark plugs blowing out and damaging either the boot or engine cylinder. I always carried spares but never had an issue.

Cheers, Steve

·
Registered
182 Posts
Might also depend on how well the engine has been taken care of. Carbon buildup can be an issue, as can timing chain stretch, as well as fuel dilution (of the oil). Everything can probably be addressed, but at some point, cost will outweigh benefit.

I wonder how the 3 engines compare in terms of longevity.
Timing chain "stretch" is caused by worn guides. :nerd:

·
Registered
1 Posts
Has anyone had experience with the Timing Chain issues with the 3.5EB, post 2016? The 2020 has changed the NA engine to a 3.5 V6 with Port & Direct injection, to assist with cleaning or preventing carbon build up. Which I believe they inherited from the 3.5EB re-designs. Be interested to know, as I am now moving away from the Mercedes Sprinters for my business this year. thanks in advance.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts