Ford Transit USA Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So on the weekend while on a road trip the engine made a 'pop' sound while going up a steep hill and the 'engine malfunction' message come on. I stopped the vehicle and engine to have a look - saw nothing, started Van and message gone - also no code thrown on my scan gauge - all seemed normal. Continued to drive and about an hour later another 'pop' same message but again no code.
Today I start the engine and the 'check engine light' is on - my scan gauge shows code 'P051B' - Crankcase Pressure sensor - I also noticed a considerable loss in power all of a sudden and my mileage just went down to 6MPG!!! According to Scan Gauge the turbo is now boosting at 8-10 PSI almost anytime I touch the throttle.

Van is going to the shop tomorrow - this will be the 10th (yes 10th) visit to Ford service in a van that has less than 10,000 Miles on it - FORD QUALITY JOB 1.:blush:

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
My crankcase pressure sensor failed also. I had no symptoms like yours, just the Malfunction Indicator Light (MIL). They replaced the sensor. Moo problems since, but not many miles since.

Sent from my ASUS_Z00TD using Tapatalk

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Checked those and all A OK - will see what dealer says tomorrow I guess

·
Registered
101 Posts
This is a somewhat wild theory but the combination of a pop noise and the sensor code would make me think you may have a popping oil dipstick. From what I can find online, the sensor is on a fresh air tube connected from the intake plumbing (after air filter, before turbo) and the valve cover and allows fresh air to enter as air is removed via vacuum through the PCV valve.. If this tube were damaged/clogged somehow, I could see it triggering the code as the readings from the sensor wouldn't be as expected. Further, if the tube were clogged, there is no escape path for a pressurized crankcase when under boost. The oil dipstick would be the easiest place for the pressure to be relieved.

Though, this doesn't necessarily explain too much boost...

·
Registered
501 Posts
I wonder if pulling that thing off and shaking the snot out of it would save a trip to the dealer? Used to work on the old school PCVs.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Interested in seeing the solution. I see Byron's point, but I wouldn't try to fix this yourself. I suspect the pop and code might be secondary to another more serious issue. Let the dealer figure this one out.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Thread: 3.5 EB Engine Malfunction

Long shot out of ignorance: How about the egr valve. Not sure if tranist has this valve, but prelim goolge results indicate it does.

Have a late '80a Landcruiser. EGR valve malfunctioned (suspect carbon build up prevented closure). Caused huge pop, engine kept working though running lean due to added gases in intake.

Not sure how many miles you have, but should be easy check.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well van was in the shop yesterday - after an hour of diagnosis the PCV valve was replaced and everything was re-set. Took the van on a 300 km drive, seemed OK, however it was using way more gas then normal - 22.0 Litres per 100 km. This morning the Check engine light was back on - so the van is back at Ford....

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
My current tank, mostly around town is at 14.2 lph. My expectations on the highway are in the 11-12 lph range with a 1500 lb load.

Keep at them!

·
Premium Member
9 Posts
My crankcase pressure sensor also failed around 12,000 miles. Dealership replaced. 1,000 miles later the Throttle control module went. Dealer replaced. But both parts needed "special order" status, because both parts were back ordered.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Well van was in the shop yesterday - after an hour of diagnosis the PCV valve was replaced and everything was re-set. Took the van on a 300 km drive, seemed OK, however it was using way more gas then normal - 22.0 Litres per 100 km. This morning the Check engine light was back on - so the van is back at Ford....
Any update on this Ahoelk? Also, I'm Squamish-based too and have just ordered a Transit similar to yours. Would love to take a look at yours sometime if you're cool with that. dave58755 at gmail dot com.

Hope you're up and running fine.

·
Registered
138 Posts
P051B crankcase sensor code at 14,000 miles 3.5 eb

Hi,
Got the code, reset and cleared the code.'
It did prompt me to change air filter, which was not dirty\, but it was wet.'

'TA'

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
My crankcase pressure sensor failed at 26,000 miles. It didn't change the way it ran at all.
Ditto for me.

·
Premium Member
85 Posts
Old thread but my 21,000 mile 2016 3.5 ecoboost just threw the same code P051B for the second time. Anyone else deal with this? How about a part #?

·
Registered
36 Posts
MIL light came on at 30K miles and scanner came back with P051B code. Found this thread and tried the fixes here and found that one of the clamps to the air filter was not attached, probably due to the lazy mechanic that last checked air filter. Filter was dry but a bit dirty so cleaned it out. Cleared code but it came back soon afterward. Opened dipstick and MIL went away until I brought it to dealer. They said the sensor was testing outside of parameters and ordered a new one. Needed to leave my van at the shop until part arrived following Monday which was a hassle so I would recommend anyone having this issue to ask dealership to order the sensor before you bring it in. About 2000 miles since and that code has not come back.

·
Premium Member
85 Posts
Mine was the sensor. Drove it quite a while with the code coming and going, no noticeable driveability issues. Yup, took two trips to dealer, both quick in-outs. Problem solved, thousands of miles since.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts