Ford Transit USA Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking at purchasing a 2WD T-250, primarily as a recreational vehicle (camping) and wanted to see if anyone had any expereince with one in the snow. Any recommended tire upgrade options for improved traction? I'd like to have the piece of mind of having 4WD since I'll be in the PNW but considering the extra cost associated (used vs new + Quigley), I thought I'd get some feedback. Thoughts?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Search for snow in the forum. Lots of good comments about the limited-slip differential.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
114 Posts
I have had to engage 4WD for less than 5% of the ~22K miles I have on my Quigley Transit. Many of these miles were driven in severe winter conditions. 4WD definitely comes in handy when chain controls are in effect for vehicles without 4WD/snow tires; also on unplowed roads, steep inclines, and icy/hard packed parking lots. With snow tires, cautious driving habits, and and at times the addition of tire chains you should be able to conquer most of the terrain that I am able to with 4WD/snow tires during the winter months (I use Continental Vanco Winter tires). Without 4WD I would be more concerned during the summer months, particularly if you access any of your camping spots via dirt roads. 4WD has saved me more than a few times from getting stuck in the middle of nowhere. Note that I use OEM 4-season tires during the summer months. Others will be able to recommend tires better suited to off-roading without 4WD.

·
Registered
774 Posts
I'm looking at purchasing a 2WD T-250, primarily as a recreational vehicle (camping) and wanted to see if anyone had any expereince with one in the snow. Any recommended tire upgrade options for improved traction? I'd like to have the piece of mind of having 4WD since I'll be in the PNW but considering the extra cost associated (used vs new + Quigley), I thought I'd get some feedback. Thoughts?
Been driving rear wheel drive vans in the snow for 34 years, mine is a T250 heavy loaded for work, with the long overhang behind the rear wheels. I put on Continental Conti Trac tires, they are not real aggressive, but the Transit is better in the snow than my 2010 LWB Sprinter was. A set of cable snow chains will take you a long way over buying 4WD for the occasional times you will use it. But it's your money, do what you want.

·
Registered
951 Posts

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
I've been in the midwestern snow a LOT this winter and have been really impressed with BFG KO2's in the snow with 2wd. I've had zero problems, rarely a wheel spin at all. Handling and road noise are also equally great. I do not recall having a panic stop yet with this setup but a few of those and you'll know how much you like your vehicle and tires!

·
Registered
276 Posts
poor man's traction control
Poor man's traction control here in the PacNW is 4-6 80lb bags of sand over the rear wheels ;-)

·
Registered
338 Posts
I've been in the midwestern snow a LOT this winter and have been really impressed with BFG KO2's in the snow with 2wd. I've had zero problems, rarely a wheel spin at all. Handling and road noise are also equally great. I do not recall having a panic stop yet with this setup but a few of those and you'll know how much you like your vehicle and tires!
I have the same experience. I have found with that tire combination that stopping has been GREAT!!! A little slipping in deep snow or on ice starting but that can be managed by a little less power when pulling away. Actually glad it stops so well as more times I have had to stop in an emergency then to have to take off from one :D:D

I should add some weight in the back, my build was to keep weight down but in the snow it is the opposite!

·
Registered
31 Posts
I live in the White Mountains of northern NH. I have a 2018 Transit 250 2WD which gets stuck very easily in my very flat driveway. I've owned my van for a full year now, so this is my second winter. I considered putting Nokian Hakkapeliitta snow tires on my van. I've used that brand on my Tacoma for 11 winters and have been very satisfied with them. I opted not to put on snows, and I just don't drive my van in the winter. In hindsight I wish I'd upgraded to a Quigley 4x4, but $13,000 is just too much for my budget.

·
Registered
943 Posts
IN SNOW: With the 3:31 limited slip, BFG-AT-K02's, and if not hauling something heavy in the back, I usually have to engage the Quigley running gear after backing out of my parking space! 2WD vans by their nature are absolute dogs in the snow. If you can swing the Quigley cost and have the time to wait for it, go for it. After all why are all those folks waiting in line for theirs? You'll be glad you did it's a whole "nother" animal.

Attachments

·
Registered
14 Posts
I am in the inland PCNW, Spokane/Idaho area.
Work has T350 with traction control and studded snow tires with stock Hankooks on the front. It is a NIGHTMARE!!!!!!!!!
These vans have no front grip, float while going down the freeway especially, have not traction in 2" of snow or more .
Traction control can be dangerous, it engages the brakes. When pulling​ out into traffic and this happens, be sure you have far more space then you normally would allow. The traction control won't release for about what seems like an eternity when a car is barring down on you.

·
Registered
3,302 Posts
Work has T350 with traction control and studded snow tires with stock Hankooks on the front. It is a NIGHTMARE!!!!!!!!!
These vans have no front grip,
No front grip when you have no snow tires on the front? (rhetorical)

·
Registered
774 Posts
These vans have no front grip, float while going down the freeway especially, have not traction in 2" of snow or more .
Traction control can be dangerous, it engages the brakes. When pulling​ out into traffic and this happens, be sure you have far more space then you normally would allow. The traction control won't release for about what seems like an eternity when a car is barring down on you.
I have plenty of grip, but I am also using a mix of stock Vanco 4 seasons on the front, and Vanco Conti Trac winter in the back, it does throw off the handling, you should really put snows all around, spring is coming soon so not going to worry about it.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Lol, I was waiting for the Hankook post to show up as I knew it would.

the factory Hankooks are JUNK in the snow. fine in the dry, but atrocious in the snow. ZERO traction. what the **** was ford thinking?

Ditched them for General Grabber HD. much better and improved. Traction control kicks in far less.

I personally think 4x4 is overkill for snow duty, but they do make dedicated Winter tires for the Transit and that with the traction control should be adequate for most.

·
Registered
31 Posts
We have a T-350 Wagon with the 3.31:1 limited slip diff and a full set of Nokian Hakkapeliitta CR3 winters. Traction with this setup is much improved over the stock tires. I think I would sooner have a 2WD with limited slip and snow tires than a 4x4 with useless rubber.

·
Registered
3,302 Posts
I think I would sooner have a 2WD with limited slip and snow tires than a 4x4 with useless rubber.
I beat a 4x4 pickup off the red light in my old FWD Dodge Caravan; snow tires, no LSD needed. The guy couldn't stand the thought of a minivan beating him so he tried to catch me. I was in the unplowed lane but once we hit 50 mph I saw him start sliding and then he gave up.

·
Registered
774 Posts
I beat a 4x4 pickup off the red light in my old FWD Dodge Caravan; snow tires, no LSD needed. The guy couldn't stand the thought of a minivan beating him so he tried to catch me. I was in the unplowed lane but once we hit 50 mph I saw him start sliding and then he gave up.

:laugh:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts