Ford Transit USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, does anyone know of a Seattle area shop that can professionally install a 2nd row seating? Something that's going to have a high safety rating and possibly be covered by insurance.

Kids are in the future and wife won't let me do the work myself.

·
Registered
111 Posts
There's also a company outside of Portland vanspecialties.com that can do it as well, but it was not cheap. Many others in the Seattle area were not responsive when I was looking. I ordered passenger wagon and plan to add/remove seats depending on who and what I'll be hauling (assuming it gets built soon)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Seems Truck Trails NW isn't able to do it due to liability reasons. They referred me to Motor Trucks who also said they couldn't do it.

@NW Traveler I'll give VanSpecialities a call tomorrow and see if they can. I agree it would have been better to have gotten the passenger wagon, then remove seats. The decision for kids was made after securing the deposit for the 2020 Transit, so I'm a bit stuck there unfortunately.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Like you said liability seems to be the big factor. Even putting in rails for something like a mobility van with adjustable seats or VanDoIt setup seems pretty tough around here. Good luck and let me know what you find!

·
Super Moderator
3,816 Posts
... The decision for kids was made after securing the deposit for the 2020 Transit, so I'm a bit stuck there unfortunately.
Discuss it with your dealer asap. Depending on where it is in the process and how adept the dealer is, it might be possible to modify the order without causing too much delay.

·
Registered
215 Posts
I've had Van Specialties build my van and they do excellent work....but I've also had Truck Trails NW do small work and I can say from experience that driving to Lynnwood is much much easier than trips to Portland.

Oh....I just read your earlier post.....Van Specialties installed my second row.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks @Campervan Man ! They were closed yesterday so I'll reach out to them today. I agree about the drive kind of sucking, but I have family in Oregon so I can make it part of a larger trip :)

·
Registered
361 Posts
Momentum Vans in Arlington or Freedom Vans in Bellingham could be options.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Looks like VanConversions can do the work but will certainly reach out to Momentum Vans or Freedom Vans (thanks @Timetogo.

Seems VanConversions will use the existing Ford track and they have stock Transit seats on hand as well. (Satisfying the "is it safe? is it legal?" questions the wife gives me).

Can't wait for my 2020!!!

·
Registered
765 Posts
Looks like VanConversions can do the work but will certainly reach out to Momentum Vans or Freedom Vans (thanks @Timetogo.

Seems VanConversions will use the existing Ford track and they have stock Transit seats on hand as well. (Satisfying the "is it safe? is it legal?" questions the wife gives me).

Can't wait for my 2020!!!
I had Van Specialities install two captains chairs with integrated seat belts several years ago when I bought my Transit. When I went to pick up the van, the seats were not even close to level, with each seat leaning out toward the outside several degrees. It was comical how poorly they were installed. Their solution was to stack fender washers under the outside edge of the swivels in the floor troughs to bring them up to level. They also used big fender washers on the bottom of the van to back the nuts holding them in.
Fast forward four years and I removed the seats because I wasn't using them and was remodeling my van. To my surprise when I pulled up the floor mat I found that they hadn't even cleaned out the metal shavings when they drilled the holes in the floor and there were tons of rusty shavings embedded now in the floor of the van and the underside of the mat. The holes had not been primed and the washers were all rusty. Some of the ridges in the floor has been crushed due to improper spacers being used.
I did advise them to make sure the seats were properly leveled and the holes primed, in part because mine was one of the first Transits they had installed seats in with the corrugated floor.
That request was obviously ignored. My advice would be to be very thorough in your instructions and expectations and have the outfitter give you a detailed explanation of the process.
That being said, even though I have done my own seat installs before, which aren't very difficult, I had VS do it because I figured they were very experienced and I was in a time crunch. I also figured having a professional install them might reduce my liability in an accident. Looking back on that, I think that was a pretty silly expectation. I'm not a lawyer, but I can see if there was an accident with injuries, it would be very hard to defend adding you own seats to a cargo vehicle that was not engineered for them and doesn't have the safety measures installed as in a passenger van. That's not saying the seats won't stay bolted to the floor, but there are many other things to consider in an accident. In the end I wasn't comfortable with the liability of hauling my kids and their friends in those seats. Some people might think that's silly, but everyone has to make their own decisions. If I had to do it again and wanted to carry passengers in the back, I'd order the crew van or passenger van and work from that platform.
By the way, I have two nice swiveling Flexxsteel captains chairs with quick release mounts and integrated shoulder belts if you decide to put seats in your van. They were crazy expensive but I'd entertain offers to get them out of my garage.

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk

Reactions: asdrew

·
Registered
127 Posts
Just to add something to this as I have been searching for seating....

I came across freedmanseating.com who seems to make commercial bus seats. The interesting item I found was their ford transition bracket. https://www.freedmanseating.com/seats/ford-transition-bracket/

Essentially its a bracket fitted to the bottom of their seats that allows you to use the legs off your stock seats at any width you want. So you buy their seat and you can place it in the narrow track or wide track anywhere in the stock passenger van locations. This is big news for me because I want to retain the stock seat mounts but have an extra seat or two I can move around or take out.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Whoa, @JP4 that's a great cautionary tale. I spoke with a Greg who told me they'd use factory rails with the spots Ford has in all their vans. I wonder if it makes any difference I want stock bench seats rather than captain chairs? Maybe doing stock is easier than doing custom work (corners get cut). Also, I intend to have the van in a shop immediately after picking it up so hopefully there wouldn't be any quality issues with the installation.

As it's still a big drive, I'd rather shop locally and probably will try that first.

@grampswrx - I've found them before but didn't see the transition bracket. Must be new! In any case, I'd still need someone to install the tracks. Unless that's something I can do on my own? It's really hard to hypothetically build a camper van (which I haven't done) on a hypothetical model (2020 yet to appear in the wild).

@CrewVanManInfo - I'm still wondering if I should swap to the wagon but my dealer got a new rep and has yet to hear from them the last couple weeks. Not sure if I have a VIN yet or not :/

·
Registered
7,527 Posts
Installing stock seats in a cargo van is not difficult, and can easily be done in the same manner as from the factory. There are numerous threads about this.

The issue lies not in whether they will be safe, it is whether it would be legal, and if your insurance company would cover occupants in the event of a crash if the seats were installed by other than a licensed upfitter. Cargo vans are not rated/tested for rear occupants. This is why Mobility upfitters buy passenger wagons and strip out the rear seats, wagons are rated/tested for rear occupants so there is no other costly inspection and certification needed.

You're not going to get pulled over and given a ticket for having a rear seat in a cargo van, though. In fact, every State seems to have different laws regarding rear passengers. Some require everyone to be facing forward with 3-point seatbelts attached, some only require lap belts, some only require seatbelts of forward facing passengers, some don't require any seatbelts at all for rear passengers. I think it also depends on if the vehicle is registered as an RV or not, some have different regulations for those. Thus, you're not very likely to be given a ticket regardless of what you do. The traffic police don't have time for that.

Because I have full windows on my cargo van, when I took it in to the CA DMV to have it inspected and registered (I bought out of State), the guy took one look and listed it as a passenger van for the registration; because I did such a good job of installing my rear bench and it looks OEM to the untrained eye.

Reactions: asdrew

·
Registered
2018 350 XLT Passenger 3.5 CCV Poptop
23 Posts
Hello all, does anyone know of a Seattle area shop that can professionally install a 2nd row seating? Something that's going to have a high safety rating and possibly be covered by insurance.

Kids are in the future and wife won't let me do the work myself.
I have two sets of two seats left from my passenger van conversion. They include the mounting hardware and bolts that attach them to the floor. I am not sure if your van has the mounting bolts embedded in the floor like mine. If so it is a very simple process to bolt the brackets that hold the seats. You are welcome to my seats for free if you manage transport. Sadly I'm in Boise so it may not be worth it. There are probably other people like me that converted a passenger van. Possibly a van conversion shop will have a stock of these seats that is closer to you. The bolts that hold these seats are massive, and used for factory seat installation.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Sorry all for the late response (holidays and whatnot). @surly Bill that completely makes sense and likely seems like it's a gamble to get it to be insured. Getting it professionally installed probably increases the likelihood but even that isn't a guarantee.

@Greenscreen - I'd love the seats! If I can convince the wife to go to Boise to pick them up I'd be happy to do so. Still waiting on an estimated ship date for the van so once I know when I'll see where we sit as far as traveling or staying local with the install. Thanks for the offer!!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts