Ford Transit USA Forum banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
I just put a 255/70/r16 BFG KO2, mounted on the stock spare rim, into the spare slot on a 2019 148" wb long (not extended) van. The tire's at 50psi. I have the stock hitch and trailer towing package, it sits in there snugly and took a bit of maneuvering to get it seated nicely. It's slightly lower than the stock tire but higher than Morey's pics. My only concern is it is in direct contact with the metal heat shield from the muffler, where as the stock tire had an air gap. It does not hit the rear differential (rear is an LSD, not sure if size varies). I was planning on putting a ratchet strap around it but it doesn't seem to need it. Going to keep an eye on it this weekend and ensure it's fine after bumping around some non-pavement roads.

·
Registered
75 Posts
dworks, please let us know if you run into (or don't have any) heat related problems where the tire touches the heat shield.

Actually, if anyone has an IR thermometer I'd be very interested in knowing how hot the heat shield gets after driving. It might not melt the tire at first even if touching, but if too hot I can imagine a problem developing down the road.

·
Registered
9 Posts
dworks, please let us know if you run into (or don't have any) heat related problems where the tire touches the heat shield.

Actually, if anyone has an IR thermometer I'd be very interested in knowing how hot the heat shield gets after driving. It might not melt the tire at first even if touching, but if too hot I can imagine a problem developing down the road.
Hey guys,

I have a 148" wb transit 250, with the same size upgrade as everyone else here.

I just got 245/75/16 KO2s and a couple things:

I had to deflate the tire to completely flat to get it to sit inside, it fits but it is definitely pushing on the rear diff -- the flat tire is bulging on that side a bit. I got the tie down method but I don't think anything will get it off the differential. I tried again with it sitting slightly off center, where the back end of the tire is sitting lower, but after a 30 minute drive on the freeway in LA -- I looked and it started to come loose. So scrap that idea.

I checked the IR temp of the heat shield after an hour on the freeway in LA in july, it was sitting at about 130 degrees-- not anything close to ruin the tire-- but I'm still nervous as **** letting it sit there over time.

Finally, the end of the lug wrench and lowers the spare stripped almost immediately, and after raising and lowering the spare only twice-- it's nearly unusable. This pissed me off, as finding another tool with the right size to do this has proven difficult. I'll have to order another OEM version for 50 bucks-- and i'm confident that the same thing will happen again.

Anyone have any suggestionns for me? I really do not want to install a spare tire carrier on the back, as I access the back doors so often.

Thanks
Tim

·
Registered
609 Posts
Did you try running a ratcheting strap around it and sucking it up against the back of the opening? It worked for me, with the valve stem removed it’s about half an inch off the rear differential.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Did you try running a ratcheting strap around it and sucking it up against the back of the opening? It worked for me, with the valve stem removed it’s about half an inch off the rear differential.
I will try again with the ratcheting strap and remove the valve stem, i didn't think of that and have never done it before.

By the way Dave, watched your whole youtube video last night man, impressive Lorax!! I've got family in portland and thinking of going up to see the quadvan guys-- would they do a conversion with JUST 4x4 ? or do I need to buy the winch and skidplates and everthing else. The online quote was close to $15k and I just can't do that... but god after watching your video i desperately want a mexico surf trip!!!!

Tim

·
Registered
609 Posts
Thanks for the props! Quadvan will do anything you want, but just the base 4x4 conversion was 13 or 14k a few years back.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Thanks for the props! Quadvan will do anything you want, but just the base 4x4 conversion was 13 or 14k a few years back.
Curious if by removing the valve stem, do you mean that you're storing the spare with no pressure? I know in an earlier post you said that you were keeping about 5 psi in there. With no pressure do you have any concerns about losing the bead and not being able to air it back up? Have you actually had to use it yet?

·
Registered
390 Posts
I guess you could always put a tire carrier on the rear door?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Curious if by removing the valve stem, do you mean that you're storing the spare with no pressure? I know in an earlier post you said that you were keeping about 5 psi in there. With no pressure do you have any concerns about losing the bead and not being able to air it back up? Have you actually had to use it yet?
upvoting this question, looking online to do what Dave says and I’m looking at valve stem kits that you don’t have to crack the tire and the bead is kept intact via an installation tool. Gonna look at autozone to see if they carry it

·
Registered
609 Posts
I just unscrewed the stem from the valve using a little valve stem remover which I keep in my tool bag. The tire has not left the bead. My understanding is that when off-roading on low pressure and losing a bead, one method of squeezing the bead back onto the rim is to put a strap around it. Since I already have a strap around it, it seems to be keeping the bead in place. We will see over time. Have not had to use the spare yet. But I’m confident I can figure how how to seat the bead. I do have an onboard air compressor, and a tire repair kit, so the spare is really my second line of defense unless I rip a sidewall.

Reactions: timrosemusic

·
Registered
9 Posts
I just unscrewed the stem from the valve using a little valve stem remover which I keep in my tool bag. The tire has not left the bead. My understanding is that when off-roading on low pressure and losing a bead, one method of squeezing the bead back onto the rim is to put a strap around it. Since I already have a strap around it, it seems to be keeping the bead in place. We will see over time. Have not had to use the spare yet. But I’m confident I can figure how how to seat the bead. I do have an onboard air compressor, and a tire repair kit, so the spare is really my second line of defense unless I rip a sidewall.
ohhh so the valve is still in there, it's just the core you removed to allow all the air to come out. That's super easy, I thought you meant you removed the entire valve from the tire and left a hole in there. Taking the core out is super easy with that little tool I'll try that tonight. Thanks again for your time, Dave!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Let us know how it goes! I'm also thinking you could remove the core, ratchet it into place with no pressure, and then pump it back up to 5-10 psi to keep a little bit of pressure on the bead to keep it seated. Also, when mounting the spare, you could use some bead sealer to essentially "glue" the bead into place to hopefully keep it there with little to no air pressure to keep it sealed.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts