Ford Transit USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I confirm that, at least in the case of my van, a 245/75R16 spare fits in the normal position. I have a 2016, 148 in. WB, extended with the factory hitch receiver. The radius of curvature of the recess in the body just matches that of the outside of the tire and the tire clears the forward corners of the receiver by a small margin. The center of the spare wheel is not exactly under the winch so the cable runs at a small angle from vertical, but I don't anticipate a problem with this.

Best,

--Frank

·
Premium Member
80 Posts
I can also confirm that in a 130-inch wheelbase wagon a BFG KO2 LT245/75R16 or LT255/70R16 will not fit under in spare area. They hit the rear diff cover. Have not tried either of them deflated to 10 pounds yet (for an obvious on-board compressor carry) but doubt it helps much.

·
Registered
956 Posts
I confirm that, at least in the case of my van, a 245/75R16 spare fits in the normal position. I have a 2016, 148 in. WB, extended with the factory hitch receiver. The radius of curvature of the recess in the body just matches that of the outside of the tire and the tire clears the forward corners of the receiver by a small margin. The center of the spare wheel is not exactly under the winch so the cable runs at a small angle from vertical, but I don't anticipate a problem with this.

Best,

--Frank
Good news thats what I want to get. Are yours the BFG TA KO2's? (please excuse me for not searching all your posts to find out)

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Are yours the BFG TA KO2's?
Mine are Goodyear Wrangler "Trail Runner", or something like that. Very similar to the BFG TAs.

I'm more about function than appearance, but I have to say that the slightly larger than stock tires pretty much fix the "toy car" problem. And the extra ~1.5" of running clearance will be welcome.

Best,

--Frank

·
Registered
956 Posts
Mine are Goodyear Wrangler "Trail Runner", or something like that. Very similar to the BFG TAs.

I'm more about function than appearance, but I have to say that the slightly larger than stock tires pretty much fix the "toy car" problem. And the extra ~1.5" of running clearance will be welcome.

Best,

--Frank
Have you noticed any loss of power or having to downshift on hills with the larger diameter? (I have same engine). By the extra 1.5" clearance what do you mean? Do you (will you) have the 4x4 or aftermarket lift installed? I am now 6 weeks away from my journey to Quigley PA.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Have you noticed any loss of power or having to downshift on hills with the larger diameter? (I have same engine). By the extra 1.5" clearance what do you mean? Do you (will you) have the 4x4 or aftermarket lift installed? I am now 6 weeks away from my journey to Quigley PA.

The van had Quigley out of the box. By clearance I mean running ground clearance -- the distance between the lowest protrusion (typically the rear differential housing) and a flat road surface.

I've only driven the 3 miles from the alignment shop back home so far so I have no idea about transmission behavior. My past vehicles all had manuals so I never gave it much thought when I changed tire diameters. I'm not aware of others having an issue, and I'll let you all know what I find.

--Frank

·
Registered
331 Posts
I have the 148 long body, not extended.
Measured several times (don't have the tires) and the distance between the diff cover and the flat part of the tire carrier indent space is 30.25". Just not enough room or clearance for the 245/75 16 tire which is 30.4" diameter.
It is a same since that is the only tire that matches the contact patch width of the original tire. Net it would have slightly more contract area due to the larger radius. Just what I want.
I'm considering other locations for the spare or not having one. I think not having one is OK if you carry a compressor, repair kit and slime but the wife does not buy it. Any comments?
Ron

·
Registered
410 Posts
I was able to put a 245/75R16 tire (Cooper Discoverer A/TW, 30.35" diameter) in the stock spare tire location -- but had to deflate it to 10 psi. No worries for me as I'll carry an air compressor.

I have a short (130"wb) low roof 2016 Transit.

The tire is slightly tilted; it doesn't fit within the indent. but it's secure, doesn't diminish ground clearance, and the tire shop thought it would be fine.

I wanted the same size because with the Quigley 4x4 and LSD the same size is arguably important.

I believe some folks aren't as concerned and are using a 245/70R16 (which reportedly is the largest to fit, at 29.5", without any issue) or are even using stock size for the spare.

FYI I have the factory trailer hitch; the spare is snug against it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
32 Posts
So to confirm with everyone findings the 245/75/16 (30.4 to 30.5 hieght in most cases) fit in the spare tire area on a stock 148"extended van?

What brand and style clear as many of the brands are a little different tread width and height so some might fit and others wont.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'll let you all know what I find.
Yesterday I returned from an ~300 mi. trip from the Bay Area to the Sierra Foothills and back that involved freeway, steep mountain roads (Old Priest Grade, for you locals), 4 wheel drive on rain-softened gravel roads, and a little real mud. In short, the van performed splendidly -- as I get to know it I like it better and better.

Unsurprisingly, the automatic seems fine with the 9% increase in tire diameter. I don't really like automatics to begin with, and the only really anomalous behavior on this one is the occasional clumsy surge when applying throttle at the beginning of an uphill at, say, 20-30 mph. It refuses to downshift until I've got way too much throttle in, and then it jumps like a frog. I also don't understand why when going into manual mode in preparation for a descent at, say, 30 mph, I find the transmission in top gear, but all automatics appear to do this. My SOP at the top of a hill is to select manual, push the "downshift" button twice, and then see where I am. To be clear, these behaviors have nothing to do with tire diameter. It's a tool not a religion, and so far is doing a pretty good job of getting the van and its contents from place to place.

Best,

--Frank

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
If people are deterred from buying a larger tire because the larger size doesn't fit the spare storage location then why not simply keep a stock size tire as the spare and be done with it? The spare is only going to be temporarily used anyhow because it doesn't have TPM and as in my case isn't alloy like the rest of my wheels.

·
Registered
272 Posts
You too should have a concern having an LSD to contend with regarding alternate tire size; run a 245/75-16 of 30.6" on one end with the spare at 28" will be, as explained to me, detrimental to the clutch-packs within the diff.' Forumsters: if this is the case, please confirm. If not the case. please explain. Thanks-HS

·
Registered
272 Posts
Doing mine tomorrow: 245/75-16 General Arctic snow XL rated (30.5") with a 3.73 LSD.

Reactions: asdrew

·
Registered
409 Posts
As we all know by now 245/75-R16 tires will fit with minimal modification to the pinch welds in the front wheel wells.

You can also fit a 245/75-R16 in the spare tire spot on a 148" non-extended wheel base if you deflate it to 25 PSI, sort of.

More pictures and details on the blog.

·
Registered
627 Posts
Inspired by Matt, I installed my own BFG KO2 245/75 R16 in the spare tire area. I deflated to about 5 PSI, and used a ratcheting strap to keep it off the differential. I also tilted it up to eliminate any possible interference with the departure angle. I'm quite happy with how it fits. The ratcheting strap hooks into holes already present on my stock rear hitch. I did have to crank down on the Home Depot ratcheting strap to get where I wanted it. Anyone traveling back country should have a compressor in their kit anyway – the cheap ones are only about 30 bucks. It's about 1/4" off of the differential.

Attachments

Reactions: morey

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
I am running 245/75/16 Michilin AT on Ultra Toil wheels, all stock suspension.

Stock spare tire.

I have been from Alaska to Mexico and back. No on board air compressor.

****, I don't even have a jack.

Do carry recovery boards though.

The LSD needs significant wheelspin to engage the clutch packs. I hypothesize that a slight difference in wheel rotation speed won't trigger that, but one could also move the spare to the front and play switcharoo

1 - 20 of 35 Posts