Ford Transit USA Forum banner

245/75R16 AT tires that fit the spare well?

8K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  Vanpackr 
#1 ·
My new rig is at QuadVan, getting new legs, so I'm getting more serious about tire options. I planned to use Toyo ATIIs, 245/75-16, but am looking for slightly shorter options, in hopes of keeping a matching spare under the van without deflating it.

I'm seeing that Cooper Discoverer ATPs and AT3s are both only 30.35" tall, for the LT245/75-16. (Versus 30.5" for the Toyos and the BFG KO2s.)

Anyone with a 148"WB/"long" van put a 30.35" tire into their spare tire well without deflating? This is only 4mm shorter than 30.5". I'm still trying to find good intel on the diameter of my spare tire well, since I don't have the van at moment to actually measure -- one figure I've seen is 30.25."

Any experience with performance, wear, or durability with Coopers ATPs? (I've had good results with their tires in the past, but am seeing mixed reviews now.)

Any other AT tires that are good quality and closer to 30", that I should consider?

Or maybe I just need to find a half-worn Toyo for the spare. Tread depth new is about 1/2", so that makes for a 30" tire if 1/4" is missing off both ends of the diameter, no? :D

(As for rims, I'm considering springing for the Ultra Toils, FWIW.)

See less See more
#4 · (Edited)
Thanks. Yes, found a bunch of those threads, but not a clear answer to this particular question, given the seeming variation in diameters among different brands' 245/75s. But I certainly could have missed something -- I couldn't even tell which was the most definitive thread (hence not piggy-backing on one). And maybe the answer is simply that no brands' 245/75s fit in the well?

#5 ·
I can kinda answer your specific questions.

Yes lots of threads on this. You can fit it in the spare with an angle, like I am sure you read

Wranglerstar has a good video on it with his Quadvan:

I am sure that the angle application would need to be the same with the AT3's

I ran the Cooper DiscoveryAT3's on my Tacoma. Great tires but a lot of noice and I think were a little too aggressive for an all around tire. Drivewise I prefer my KO2's I am running on a different rig. Offroad and snow I have minimal experience with these two tires since we just a baby and our next adventures are being planned.

#6 ·
Thanks guys.

Not crazy about the clearance loss with the angle solution, but good to know it's an option.

My tire shop says they can probably set me up with a half-used one, so fingers crossed that works, or at least makes other the solutions work better.

Bryan for what's it's worth, I'm running the Toyos on my 1st Gen Taco, and they're fantastic. ;-) They also have a great reputation for snow, but I can't confirm, having drunk the koolaid on snow tires (Cooper Discoverer M+S).

#7 ·
Just here from a search.. trying to find out what the largest tire (diameter/tire size) that will fit in the spare well since that seems to be the limiting factor. If anyone has any data or a definitive answer that would be great. I don't have my van yet so I can't take a tape measure to it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.