Ford Transit USA Forum banner

2023 Delays? Who else has a Transit VIN that keeps getting pushed back?

7751 108
After a year wait for our '22 that was eventually balanced out, I was pretty excited to get a build date and a VIN for our '23 Transit. However, we just got our 6th dreaded email from Ford announcing yet another delay. It was just pushed back again, this time another two weeks.

We were originally scheduled for late Sept and are now scheduled for 11/28, two months from our original build date.

I'm not sure what is more frustrating. Not hearing from Ford once until our van was cancelled without notice. Or getting an email every week pushing the build date back. If we aren't able to purchase in '22, we may have to finally look elsewhere as it's a business expense and needs to be made in Q4.

Are other people getting build dates and seeing their vans built and delivered? Or is everyone just getting pushed back again and again like we are?
61 - 80 of 109 Posts

·
Registered
7,306 Posts
Most of the delays have to do with not having the 3.5L EcoBoost engine available. Based on my orders, here are the dates for the ones that have VINs.

Week of November 21st...W1X...3.5L engine; R2X, R3U...3.5L EcoBoost engine
Week of November 28th...W3U, R2D, R2X...3.5L EcoBoost engine
Week of December 5th.....E2C...Base 3.5L engine: W2X...3.5L EcoBoost engine
Week of December 12th....W3U...EcoBoost engine X 6 Transits
Week of December 12th...F4U, U8U, F8X, R2X, W2Y, F4W, U4X, E2D, W9C All 3.5L EcoBoost engine
Week of December 19th....W3U...EcoBoost engine X 2 Transits

All of our current order only have a WEEK of date so they are basically using the dates as placeholders since those have VINs and require a build date. It does not mean that that date will hold as we have seen dates moved from original October dates to the current December dates. Whether theose dates hold up, we will see. If those get moved back, then they would go to Janaury 2023 dates.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Ed - assume that none of your COVP orders with the PSD have been scheduled/produced at all? Any word on the PSD late availability? Probably mid-late Summer 2023 (before the change overs to 2024s)?

Reactions: ADVMuppet

·
Registered
7,306 Posts
PSD has been on 'Late Availability' since it went to placing orders for the 2023 model. On the orders we have with VINs, none of them have had the PSD option on the orders. I can't tell you when Ford may be scheduling any of those vans. Based on the information I have, they will build out the 2023 production through August 2023. We may be able to order a 2024 sometime in May/June 2023 but the build dates would be late August 2023.

·
Registered
22 W3U 350 Hi Roof ELWB
28 Posts
FWF( frustrated with ford ). Lost track of all the sheduling changes. The latest have been weeks of Nov28, then Nov21, now Dec12. I am just going to assume it will get delayed again. Who the heck does sheduling this way?

·
Registered
VIN Received. R2X. 2023 HR, 148 long, Cargo AWD. Windows all around
67 Posts
The car industry’s move to individual consumer orders is in direct conflict with how the supply chain actually works. Will consumers adapt to waiting 1-2 years for a vehicle? In my view most consumers will try ordering once than never again. I have a deep disregard for Ford due to the ordering system that will impact my future buying decisions.

·
Registered
22 W3U 350 Hi Roof ELWB
28 Posts
The car industry’s move to individual consumer orders is in direct conflict with how the supply chain actually works. Will consumers adapt to waiting 1-2 years for a vehicle? In my view most consumers will try ordering once than never again. I have a deep disregard for Ford due to the ordering system that will impact my future buying decisions.
The only conclusion I can come to is that Ford is incompetent in its supply chain management , sheduling management ,overall management incompetency for letting this happen. I would give them a pass for the first COVID year , but they should have adjusted things for MY22 , MY23. I guess it is easy to be an arm chair critic , but could they not have improved customer communication and expectations. I will most likely never return to Ford again for a vehicle purchase. This is a real shame as I have owned lots of past fords.

·
Registered
VIN Received. R2X. 2023 HR, 148 long, Cargo AWD. Windows all around
67 Posts
When COVID hit it reveled the quality of the business relationships between OEM manufactures and suppliers/retailers. The corporation I worked for 27 years had a reputation of treating their suppliers poorly because we were a big and wealthy company. Really, really wealthy with 3-40% market share. During COVID when OEM manufactures had to decide who would get their products they dropped the companies that had treated them poorly. In many cases these were corporate purchasing agents that were incentivized to negotiate the margins down so low that OEM manufacturers were forced to accept the terms or go out of business. When COVID hit these manufacturers were happy to move on to new customers who would pay higher prices for their products. This is the reason, I believe Ford is struggling with their supply chain much more than their competitors.

·
Registered
22 W3U 350 Hi Roof ELWB
28 Posts
When COVID hit it reveled the quality of the business relationships between OEM manufactures and suppliers/retailers. The corporation I worked for 27 years had a reputation of treating their suppliers poorly because we were a big and wealthy company. Really, really wealthy with 3-40% market share. During COVID when OEM manufactures had to decide who would get their products they dropped the companies that had treated them poorly. In many cases these were corporate purchasing agents that were incentivized to negotiate the margins down so low that OEM manufacturers were forced to accept the terms or go out of business. When COVID hit these manufacturers were happy to move on to new customers who would pay higher prices for their products. This is the reason, I believe Ford is struggling with their supply chain much more than their competitors.
Insightful and makes sense. Thank you.

·
Registered
202 Posts
It's finally my build week - "week of October 24th - and I haven't gotten an email saying that it's been moved or otherwise.

Fingers crossed.

Has anyone had their "build week" come and go without an update?

·
Registered
7,306 Posts
Indications from the Ford order system are showing most of the holdup options have moved to a first week of January release date. That has not been moved to the scheduling for any of the 2023 order as most are still setting at WEEK of December 12th. So far my remaining orders are ALL sitting at a 'WEEK of date' so indications are they are not confident in placing any Transit build date on a particular DAY yet.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Indications from the Ford order system are showing most of the holdup options have moved to a first week of January release date. That has not been moved to the scheduling for any of the 2023 order as most are still setting at WEEK of December 12th. So far my remaining orders are ALL sitting at a 'WEEK of date' so indications are they are not confident in placing any Transit build date on a particular DAY yet.
@CrewVanMan
Apologies if a stupid question as my first time I have ordered a Transit. I have an order with you, but no VIN yet from Ford. I thought VIN came first, then scheduling?
I get the 45 day emails from Ford but nothing else so far.

·
Registered
45 Posts
@CrewVanMan are you saying that all of your 2023 orders have been scheduled to at least a build week?

·
Registered
7,306 Posts
@CrewVanMan
Apologies if a stupid question as my first time I have ordered a Transit. I have an order with you, but no VIN yet from Ford. I thought VIN came first, then scheduling?
I get the 45 day emails from Ford but nothing else so far.
When the Transit is scheduled with a build date, a VIN is linked to it at the same time.
@CrewVanMan are you saying that all of your 2023 orders have been scheduled to at least a build week?
So far, I have 142 2023 Transit orders in the Ford order system.
3 - Released from the plant
41 - Have VINs and WEEK of scheduled build dates
98 - Still in 'Unscheduled - Clean' status

We were supposed to have 9 scheduled this week and Ford only pulled one, W2Y LR 130" WB Race Red cargo van with build date WEEK of December 19th

·
Registered
202 Posts
07/19 Order Placed with Sheri Schoonover at Tuttle Click in Irvine, CA

08/23 VIN Assigned - "Scheduled for Production

10/10 Week of Build Date
10/03Week of Build Date
10/17Week of Build Date
10/24 Week of Build Date

10/28 BUILT and "SHIPPED"

When my "week of" build date came to an end this Friday, I tracked my order via the Ford vehicle order tracking website and the first word I saw was "shipped."

This fits in nicely with the date my dealer told me she sees as the "arrival ETA" on her lot of week of November 8th.

We'll see how long it takes to ship to Southern, CA now but at least there's an engine in it....

·
Registered
1 Posts
@CrewVanMan First I want to thank you for all the support you have brought to the forum and to people like who did not know how convoluted ordering a car in pandemic time could be.

My father is located in the PNW region, his quest for a fully loaded (PSD, sync4, bliss, 360, back up assist) 2022 Ecoboost R2X Cargo van order started almost a year ago (November 2021). After waiting for a long time and your advise in this forum, we removed PSD. However, that did not avoided that our order was balanced out.

Moving on...

We were diligent enough to re-submit a Fully loaded R2X 2023 order (without the PSD & with the virtual back mirror) in June 2022. Our current status is Still unscheduled clean.

According to the dealer and Ford system reps everything in the order is okay and we are waiting for scheduling (still on limbo).

Do you have any input on R2X scheduling or there is no delays to an specific body code? We have been waiting quite a bit.

We are surprised, that despite his order was submitted very early to when the order bank opened, we haven't been scheduled yet.

What will happen with my Dad's private offer if the order does not get scheduled before the end of 2022? Will that affect his eligibility to receive a private offer in 2023?

·
Registered
7,306 Posts
If you have a 3.5L EcoBoost engine on your order, the orders with a current VIN were moved to WEEK of December 12th. Orders with the Virtual Rear View Mirror have not shown up with a VIN on any of my customer orders yet. Even had one order moved to WEEK of January 2nd, 2023 today and from the information I got via the engine plant, the 3.5L EcoBoost engines will not be ready before the middle of January so I am expecting the current WEEK of December 12th orders to move to a January date. It makes the orders still sitting in 'Unscheduled - Clean' status to stay there until they get a handle on parts to built them.

61 - 80 of 109 Posts