Ford Transit USA Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I reviewed the 2022 Transit Order Guide. It has both "Intelligent Adaptive Cruise Control" and "Adaptive Cruise Control" but no description of what those are. Ford has a few differnet pages with conflicting information on the "Intelligent Adaptive Cruise Control," such as https://www.ford.com/support/how-to.../what-is-intelligent-adaptive-cruise-control/ and https://www.ford.com/technology/driver-assist-technology/adaptive-cruise-control/. One page says that "Intelligent Adaptive Cruise Control" includes stop-and-go cruise control as well as lane centering, plus speed sign recognition.

What is the difference in the 2022 Transit between "Intelligent Adaptive Cruise Control" and "Adaptive Cruise Control"? Is it only the speed sign recognition? Is there a difference in lane centering or stop-and-go features? The 2022 Order Guide lists an electric parking break, which I understand to be a requirement for stop-and-go ACC, so it's at least a possibility.

On a related question, is there any information on how we can expect either the "Lane-Keeping System" or the "Lane Keeping Aid" (that is part of Blind Spot Assist 1.0) to work? I.e., how well they stay in the center of the lane, what speeds they will work at, etc. I have had trouble finding any reliable information about how these systems work on different models and years.

·
Registered
307 Posts
On 2020's, the lane keeping assist just gives an audio alert and configurable bump to the wheel if it senses you leaving the lane. It doesn't center you in the lane like a Tesla'ish autopilot. We have other cars with similar implementation and it is turned off in all of them. If I was prone to dozing off while driving I might leave it on.

I think it is premature to know what the differences in the Adaptive Cruise Control really are. I was looking for similar information when I bought my 2020 Passenger van, and the only thing I found for Transit's was inconsistent/wrong/guesses based on gleaning what Ford was transitioning from cars to trucks. I got ACC for my van and enjoy the feature ... though do need to be careful I don't end up getting lulled into 55mph behind a slowpoke when I had the cruise set to 65. I still don't know that I trust Ford enough to bring me to a complete stop though, if it was available on the Transit. :unsure:

·
Registered
59 Posts
Presumably iACC will have stop and go which is a definite improvement for such circumstances. The Transit tech is about 5 years behind Ford's best driver assist techs. Transit is a "last adopter".
BTW: My own experience is I still don't trust ACC completely as it can be confused on two lane highway curves.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I have the 2021 adaptive cruise control and it will bring the van to a complete and gentle stop (my understanding is it did not go to full stop in 2020 models as they do not have electronic parking brake) but will not then "go" so it doesn't work well in stop and go traffic. It also just try's to maintain the speed you set and can't read speed limit signs. I played around with it and can't remember the specific speed, but it would cut out and not start operating again until around 20 mph as the car in front of you slowed and you have to reenable as you go back above 20. Even with that limitation is is amazing on the freeway. It also does well with changing lanes where you move right behind a car traveling faster than you as is common when passing. It doesn't freak out and put on the brakes but understands the other cars increased speed and that your gap is increasing. It accelerates nicely to trail the faster car up to your speed setting.

The lane keeping assist is kind of useful but not great. It can give audible warning that you are leaving your lane which I turned off immediately as it is too annoying and sensitive. I played around with keeping the steering correction portion on vs off as well as the 3 sensitivity levels and ended up not having strong opinions in any of the modes and just left it on. It just gives a slight nudge back into your lane. While not a jerk, it is more aggressive then what you would manually do and so can be a little annoying when you are just slow in entering a curve or drift a little too far in your lane. I played around with just letting it steer and it tends to ping pong from side to side and after a couple times it cuts out as it is clearly not lane centering. It also can't always figure out your lane and will not correct in those conditions. I find the silent cutting out and lack of future corrections the most disconcerting. I don't trust it to save me but it doesn't seem to hurt to leave on and you get used to the minor corrections after a while. Definitely disappointing when compared to what Tesla does. Some posts here have alluded that it can keep their van centered hands off but my experience is that is not even close to possible.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I think I want adaptive cruise control if I order transit, what is the max following distance you
Can set, like in feet or yards? Some one on here said the max setting was a bit close for comfort,
I browsed online found no information on the distances.

·
Registered
27 Posts
The following distance changes with speed so no hard numbers. I guess it all comes to taste. I found the minimum setting is just about the 3 second rule for following. For me the maximum setting is more than enough of distance . I tend to use minimum in the city and traffic where a big gap invites everyone to cut you off and maximum for the open freeway where there is plenty of room to spread out and give extra distance. I had seen that same comment about max being to close and don't think that at all.

·
Registered
977 Posts
AmI I the only Luddite who firmly believes that cruise control and cupholders should be replaced with an 18" steel spike coming out of the center of the steering wheel - to help focus the drivers attention on the road and the inherent dangers and responsibilities of driving a vehicle. :)

·
Registered
2020 High-Extended AWD EcoBoost Cargo with windows
1,492 Posts
On 2020's, the lane keeping assist just gives an audio alert and configurable bump to the wheel if it senses you leaving the lane. It doesn't center you in the lane like a Tesla'ish autopilot. We have other cars with similar implementation and it is turned off in all of them. If I was prone to dozing off while driving I might leave it on.

I think it is premature to know what the differences in the Adaptive Cruise Control really are. I was looking for similar information when I bought my 2020 Passenger van, and the only thing I found for Transit's was inconsistent/wrong/guesses based on gleaning what Ford was transitioning from cars to trucks. I got ACC for my van and enjoy the feature ... though do need to be careful I don't end up getting lulled into 55mph behind a slowpoke when I had the cruise set to 65. I still don't know that I trust Ford enough to bring me to a complete stop though, if it was available on the Transit. :unsure:
My 2020 will bounce down the road between the lane markers on its own. I have no idea which feature that is. It is certainly no Tesla. It is frightening, really. But it will drive down a freeway and stay in the lane on its own - even around turns.

I really wanted the adaptive - that is just the coolest thing for long drives; but I must have also purchased something else on the list. 🤷‍♀️

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
My 2020 will bounce down the road between the lane markers on its own. I have no idea which feature that is. It is certainly no Tesla. It is frightening, really. But it will drive down a freeway and stay in the lane on its own - even around turns.

I really wanted the adaptive - that is just the coolest thing for long drives; but I must have also purchased something else on the list. 🤷‍♀️
That sounds like what my 2019 Honda Odyssey will do. It's nice on the highway when there are no cars around, but you can't trust it if there's anyone next to you. I still think its a nice feature for long drives. But I agree that adaptive cruise control makes much more of a difference.

·
Registered
2020 High-Extended AWD EcoBoost Cargo with windows
1,492 Posts
Other than when I first tested it, I will /never/ use it. I rarely use the Tesla auto-drive - generally prefer to be driving more than co-driving with the car. But adaptive is awesome.

·
Registered
2019 250 148 mr
354 Posts
My wife's car has the adaptive cruise. It works ok in light traffic to open roads, but its particularly frustrating in medium to heavy traffic as it jams the brakes on hard every time someone cuts in front of me, even if they're accelerating or moving steadily.

·
Registered
10 Posts

That's the lane keeping system. It only activates when it thinks you're going outside the lane, so if you're not steering it creates a ping pong effect and you bounce back and forth in the lane.

In 2022 transits are supposed to get lane centering, where it keeps you steady in the center of the lane. It's part of their intelligent cruise control which has a few extra features like adjusting speed as the speed limit drops.

Finally there's Bluecruise, which is only available on the F-150 and Emach. Same as above, IAAC and Lane centering but you're allowed to take your hands off the wheel.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
In 2022 transits are supposed to get lane centering, where it keeps you steady in the center of the lane. It's part of their intelligent cruise control which has a few extra features like adjusting speed as the speed limit drops.
I'd be willing to pay extra money for lane centering with the "intelligent cruise control" option. Is there anywhere Ford has confirmed that lane centering will be included with "intelligent" ACC in the 2022 Transit? I'd like to be sure before I pay the extra $$$!

·
Registered
10 Posts
I'd be willing to pay extra money for lane centering with the "intelligent cruise control" option. Is there anywhere Ford has confirmed that lane centering will be included with "intelligent" ACC in the 2022 Transit? I'd like to be sure before I pay the extra $$$!
It's on the 2022 build sheets as being an option, and it's included in the RV and motorhome prep packages. It's included with the new Sync 4 and 12" screen.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I see "Intelligent Adaptive Cruise Control (iACC)" as an option, but I don't see anything that specifically says the iACC includes lane centering. Where did you find that information?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thank you for the link--I hadn't seen that before. That's the first time I've seen Intelligent Adaptive Cruise Control as being the feature that includes lane centering. Other pages (such as https://www.ford.com/technology/dri...-control/#intelligent_adaptive_cruise_control) describe lane centering as being part of "Adaptive Crusie Control with Stop-and-Go and Lane Centering." Another page (https://www.ford.com/support/how-to.../what-is-intelligent-adaptive-cruise-control/) talks about iACC without mentioning lane centering. But the page you linked doesn't refer to a more basic version of automatic cruise control, so maybe all version are lane centering now (even without the "intelligent" part)?

It looks like the first page I linked was for 2020, and the version you linked was for 2021. So maybe lane centering and stop-and-go got merged with iACC in 2021? I'd llike Ford to come out and say definitively what is included in the different versions of cruise control for 2022...

·
Registered
10 Posts
Thank you for the link--I hadn't seen that before. That's the first time I've seen Intelligent Adaptive Cruise Control as being the feature that includes lane centering. Other pages (such as https://www.ford.com/technology/dri...-control/#intelligent_adaptive_cruise_control) describe lane centering as being part of "Adaptive Crusie Control with Stop-and-Go and Lane Centering." Another page (https://www.ford.com/support/how-to.../what-is-intelligent-adaptive-cruise-control/) talks about iACC without mentioning lane centering. But the page you linked doesn't refer to a more basic version of automatic cruise control, so maybe all version are lane centering now (even without the "intelligent" part)?

It looks like the first page I linked was for 2020, and the version you linked was for 2021. So maybe lane centering and stop-and-go got merged with iACC in 2021? I'd llike Ford to come out and say definitively what is included in the different versions of cruise control for 2022...
I think old adaptive cruise control is not part of their Copilot 360, so it's listed as a separate option. Most Ford's now have Copilot 360 either as an option or included, but there's different levels of that that include different features. I was trying to figure out what the 2021 Transit comes with and I had to contact Ford about it this morning. The service rep didn't know what was going on at first either.

·
Registered
307 Posts
The 2022 Order Guide only mentions "Lane-Keeping Alert" and "Aid", which is what the 2020 had. Don't confuse that with lane centering. I suspect if you search for features on Ford's high margin cars you will find the "Lane Centering" feature as an option.

If you look at the Transit's (at least in the USA) year to year, features have trickled down to the Transit from the other platforms, and I would not expect to find any new never before seen gee-whiz features in the 2022. The 360 degree camera and "Intelligent Adaptive Cruise Control" are obvious examples of features trickling down.

[edit: I think BLIS 1.0 (vs. old "BLIS" only) must add the "resistive steering torque" to
"to provide a visual warning and resistive steering torque to prevent a collison should an object be recognized in the vehicles blind spot while changing lanes."

My 2020 didn't mention that capability -- I think it relied on the front camera/sensor to determine you were drifting out of the lane.
]

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I understand that the "Lane-Keeping System" on the 2022 (probably) is not lane centering. But does the intelligent adaptive cruise control include lane centering? The 2022 Transit order guide doesn't say so, but Ford's website suggests that the "intelligent adaptive cruise control" does include lane centering.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts