Ford Transit USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I thought I had missed the window on making a 2020 order but my local dealer called me today and said it looks like they are able to make one, with a delivery a Feb/March 2021.

The other surprise I had is they are able to honor employee pricing. The MSRP of the van just over 68k, with employee pricing its just over 59k (+12% Tax and Fees).

I have not purchased a new vehicle in over a decade, but this seems to be a pretty good deal? I was prepared to pay MSRP for a 2021.

The purpose of the van is for extended travel as a adventure vehicle, we currently own a 04 E350 RB 4x4 High Top. I've included my build sheet and would love some feedback on it as the newest vehicle I own is a 2010.

I'm not sure on the following features at the moment:

Upfitter Package - I was told these aren't the easiest to use, if I plan on doing the conversion myself. Not sure about the larger console, initially I decided that it would get in the way if I wanted to access the living area, but I can't even do that now with the regular console so at least for me, I need exit the vehicle from the driver seat to enter the sliding door.

Trailer Brake Control - We will be towing once in a while, but not a lot? Maybe a few times year? We live in the mountains though so lots of climbs and down hill

Front/Rear Split Camera - Not sure if this is worth it? Maybe a nice to have?

Radio 8 Inch W/ NAV - I'm debating on not getting it with Nav and get a dedicate GPS Unit IE Garmin or using Apps

Appreciate the feedback!

Attachments

·
Registered
17 Posts
I just ordered basically a crew version of your build at the beginning of employee pricing, identical pricing but I managed to get a further $1000ish off that. I paid higher fees but only 5%tax ;)
The funny thing was I had been searching for a E350 4x4 and gave up when I found out I could get the AWD Transit.

good luck with the decision,

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I just ordered basically a crew version of your build at the beginning of employee pricing, identical pricing but I managed to get a further $1000ish off that. I paid higher fees but only 5%tax ;)
The funny thing was I had been searching for a E350 4x4 and gave up when I found out I could get the AWD Transit.

good luck with the decision,
Thanks Boonedock, gotta love that AB pricing. 4x4 E350 are pretty hard to come by in Canada, we are mainly switching platforms because my partner has joint pain issues and the ride in the E350 just harsh enough to make long trips quite uncomfortable for her.

I'm still debating on the crew or cargo as I would like 2nd row seating but I don't like the seating options offered by Ford. I would likely go the same route you are planning with swapping out the 3 seat bench with a 2 seater for easier access to the cargo/living space. But I'd still swap that 2 seater out eventually for a bi/tri fold seat to make an extra bed, so I guess I'm really only paying for the windows and airbag protection. Although I'd prefer to install windows that open in the cargo..... We would only have extra passengers maybe 25% of the time. Decisions...decisions....

·
Registered
17 Posts
after speaking with a friend who owns an insurance brokerage, he steered me away from adding seats. I just ordered a 2 seat bench to replace the 3 right off the bat, hoping it fits the factory mounts.
I thought Strathmore Ford had a magneto on the lot, but i just checked and didn't see it.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah insurance coverage is my main concern should we be involved in an accident, there is nothing factory I can use for my purpose so I'm okay with using an aftermarket seat since it won't be occupied 75% of the time. I think we are going to go with the Ingot Silver just because the darker colour I suspect will show more dirt more + heat/sunlight considerations. How much was the 2 seat bench? Did you get that through the dealer? If I choose the crew, I will be doing the same thing.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I went with silver, my last two VWs I owned were the dark metallic grey, they look great when clean but were almost as bad as maintaining a black car.
Around $1000 for the seat, ordered through Truck Seat Warehouse - found them on Kijiji.

·
Registered
2020 AWD CrewVan on order..........
107 Posts
I ordered a Crew Van March 17, 2020 and like you I decided to go with Ingot Silver because I think it will look clean and hopefully be cooler in the summer. BC insurance seems to be extra strict so getting the Crew van that seats 5 for 3 people was the only way to go. Currently I'm waiting for the van to show up before I deal with the second row set. The second row full seat may be able to be used as a bed so I'm not ruling that out but a single seat might be very nice if I can one that will clip in.

Currently, the van is sitting in the rail yard (for almost 2 months now) waiting for it to start its journey to Canada.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ah yes the joys of dealing with ICBC. I’m not 100% sure but if you registered the vehicle as an RV I believe the seating behind the driver becomes a non issue. My intent was to be able to make a bed behind the driver seat utilizing the a seat and the the driver swivel similar to this layout

Attachments

·
Registered
17 Posts
DIrtyboy - hopefully things start moving and you get your delivery. I'm just hopeful to get mine for ski season, I need my lunch spot in the parking lot.

I have pretty much the same layout I have planned, I was looking at the convertible bed seat but in the end decided to build a bunk. Just wish that factory seat wasn't so long an allowed you to get around it without opening the door.

Back to shopping, Insulation and windows next!

·
Registered
48 Posts
I have pretty much the same layout I have planned, I was looking at the convertible bed seat but in the end decided to build a bunk. Just wish that factory seat wasn't so long an allowed you to get around it without opening the door.
Are you watching the For Sale/Classifieds section here for the two seat alternative? Those should be a drop in replacement for the big triple (it uses two of the three fixing positions). If you search some of the threads in this (Dealer) forum, you can see pics from CrewVanMatt of new van deliveries where the dealer sold the new buyer take-outs from other vans.

Here's one example:

Do note, there are a couple different double seats, and many that people post for sale here are meant for the rear mounts in the Passenger Van which are a different width than the mounts at the front. Here's a post with a picture of all mounts for the Passenger Van:

The BEMM (Body and Equipment Mounting Manual) for "2019.75" (but not the 2020 version) shows there are four seat fixing positions but cautions "The fixings are always present but access to the fixing is dependent on floorpan. Access holes in the floorpan may be required to gain access to the fixing". If the 2020 is the same as the 2019, and the Crew Van only has three exposed, you might be able to use (using the spacing specified in the BEMM) drill through the floor to get access to the additional mount and give you even more flexible seating. In any case, using Ford's reinforced fixing points that are already in the body seems WAY WAY WAY safer than some of the "drill a hole in the floor and put a fender washer on the other side" pics I've seen of people installing their own seats (or even outfitters doing it).

...and finally, I'm waiting on a HR Passenger Van (supposed to start production next week!) with 8 seats, and one idea is to remove the 2nd/3rd row and replace with a "Rock n Roll" that would have the required track mounted to the factory fixing points (bracket may be required). One concern I have with the stock seating is the 2nd row is too close to the drivers seat and that my kids will need more legroom (and with a 148WB there should be legroom for days!), so I'd likely find a way to have the 2nd row back a foot to provide more room (and jettison the 3rd row). The Rock N Roll bed can give me all sorts of adjustability and provide an extra bed (right now plan is for kids to sleep in a tent while mom and dad sleep inside).

·
Registered
17 Posts
Brian - Thanks, ordered my factory 3 seat already, Thanks to CrewVanMan he was able to confirm fit in another thread.

Thanks for link to the layout drawing, despite all my googling this stuff is near impossible to find.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Brian - Thanks, ordered my factory 3 seat already, Thanks to CrewVanMan he was able to confirm fit in another thread.

Thanks for link to the layout drawing, despite all my googling this stuff is near impossible to find.
I kept updating the thread every few minutes and it now shows it requires moderator approval. I added a link to the "Rock N Roll" bed, which is an option to consider down the road. It's $$$ that I'd rather put into other parts of the van though, so I won't be doing it initially.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Going to the dealer in the next hour to sign and leave a deposit. I decided with the cargo, no power sliding door is a deal breaker for me. My spouse has mobility issues so having the ability to open and close the door via fob or a gentle tug of the handle is important. Decided to go with Blue instead of the Igot Silver and we ditched the Nav System.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Good luck. I agree on ditching the Nav system, lot's of apps work with the sync system. If your out of range and old like me you probably own a paper map, the back-road map book never leaves my jeep and i'm sure a new copy will be added to the van.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Those rock and roll seats look pretty fantastic but they are so expensive. Trying not to get too excited about it. lol

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Signed and left a deposit, they said I should get it by Dec so we will see. I'm not seeing the link to the rock and roll bed? The one I am looking at is around 2k CDN.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Signed and left a deposit, they said I should get it by Dec so we will see. I'm not seeing the link to the rock and roll bed? The one I am looking at is around 2k CDN.
I hope you get your van by Dec. I'm betting it will happen. I assume that you ordered a 2020 transit?

What I was referring to was the picture that you posted above. Also, post #10 above has a link to one.

·
Registered
48 Posts
My edited thread should be visible now, but here it is:

$2K CDN sounds like a deal, and I'd drive up there the minute the border opens if it is the same.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
My edited thread should be visible now, but here it is:

$2K CDN sounds like a deal, and I'd drive up there the minute the border opens if it is the same.

I see it now thanks, I was switching back and forth from my mobile so I must have missed the link. The one I am looking is not the same as the Travois product but similar, biggest difference is they are made in China and do not hold any North American or European safety testings. So this may be a deal breaker for some:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts