Ford Transit USA Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm new to your group and hope I can learn some stuff from you all. I'm planning to buy a 2020 Transit, long with high roof to buildout . I'd like to get a diesel with AWD. Does anyone know if that will be an option with the new Transits?
Thanks in advance!
Rocket T

·
Registered
1,861 Posts
The 2.0L Diesel engine is also delayed for ordering in the RWD models until April 2020. If you want to go with the AWD Transit, you have either the 3.5L PFDI V-6 or the 3.5L EcoBoost V-6 engine. Going with the HR model your best bet is to go with the 3.5L EcoBoost as you can get the 3.73 rear axle ratio instead of the 4.10 rear axle ratio you would get on the 3.5L PFDI engine.

·
Registered
4,992 Posts
Will the 2.0 diesel be able to idle for more than a few minutes without clogging it up? That seems to be the biggest problem with modern emission regulated diesels, you can't idle them much without drastically reducing maintenance schedules and engine life. Maybe Ford found a way to allow idling?

·
Registered
1,861 Posts
This is the engine basically coming from Europe with some USA modifications for emissions so not sure what has been done to this engine to make it compliant with getting it in a USA Transit. Since none will be built until April 2020 and Ford is not giving us any literature or information on it, not sure if it will have to have the DEF added or not.

Not sure how the smaller 2.0L I-4 Diesel will work for the larger HR 148" WB and HR Extended models as far as power and length of service. I know the 3.2L I-5 Diesel has been OK if you are using it on the road and not having it idle for long periods of time. Some of the ones coming to auction right now are either the high mileage trade-ins or the low mileage ones that dealers can't sell on their lots.

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
The 2.0L Diesel engine is also delayed for ordering in the RWD models until April 2020. If you want to go with the AWD Transit, you have either the 3.5L PFDI V-6 or the 3.5L EcoBoost V-6 engine. Going with the HR model your best bet is to go with the 3.5L EcoBoost as you can get the 3.73 rear axle ratio instead of the 4.10 rear axle ratio you would get on the 3.5L PFDI engine.

Why is that a concern?

Top gear is still an incredibly tall 2.61 to 1 overall, so it’s not like the small-displacement V6 will be spinning that fast anyway.

The difference between 3.73 and 4.10 is only 10%, so if EB is running 2,000 RPM, the 3.5L PFDI V6 would be at 2,200 RPM for the same vehicle speed.

With new 10-speed and SRW tire size, the 4.10 axle yields 62 MPH at 2,000 RPM. At an easy 2,500 RPM, you’d be doing 77 MPH.

My guess is that if a high roof van was geared any taller than 4.10, the engine wouldn’t be able to hold top gear on any incline or into any headwind. I think Ford engineers got that one right. Besides, the lower 4.10 might come in handy off road with the AWD.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I'd like more info on the 2020 diesel. I really can't find anything useful on line. Are you sure that it is coming by april 2020? Are you sure that it will not be available with AWD?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts