Ford Transit USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I"m wondering when an online build will be available for the 2020 Transit? Ford.com goes to the 2019 last time I tried. I'm also curious how much reduction off MSRP you early buyers are getting? Last time I ordered it was a F350 and the reduction off MSRP was near $10K. The MSRP was a little over $50K and it was a 2006. Thanks for any responses.

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
I"m wondering when an online build will be available for the 2020 Transit? Ford.com goes to the 2019 last time I tried. I'm also curious how much reduction off MSRP you early buyers are getting? Last time I ordered it was a F350 and the reduction off MSRP was near $10K. The MSRP was a little over $50K and it was a 2006. Thanks for any responses.

Look at Post #57 by CVM, on the below Thread. Probably won't have online build until pricing is finalized.

Semper Fi

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
Ford dealers will have to have inventory for Ford to make the online build for the 2020 Transit function. Once you build the vehicle, it has to give you a reference to a Transit in inventory based on the options you select and right now there is not any 2020 Transits in dealer inventory for the system to choose.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Ford dealers will have to have inventory for Ford to make the online build for the 2020 Transit function. Once you build the vehicle, it has to give you a reference to a Transit in inventory based on the options you select and right now there is not any 2020 Transits in dealer inventory for the system to choose.
Odd. Many brands get the online configurators up EARLY, so ding dongs like me can start second guessing their build decisions before they can even order the vehicle. ;)

Beats watching Seinfeld reruns.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
LOL - no dealer will ever have the van I want in stock - not by Christmas 2020. In the past I only see white transits in my area of travel for one and with few options. I'm on a prime travel route from Charleston and see Sprinters coming out of Chas almost daily. Even have an upfitter about 2 miles away who puts decals on them. I've had several sprinters - 2 RVs and one standard and they were really nice but they don't have the sufficient service network and when lights come on I get stressed. Too complicated also with the diesels. Didn't like making 2 trips when issues arose - one to diagnose and another after the parts came in. Fortunately the servicing dealer was a Freightliner place so the costs were half for servicing vs a Mercedes dealer. Have had much less stress with my current 2016 Transit.

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
With all of the different options and body styles the Transit offers, you would be lucky to find ANY Ford dealer to have the exact Transit you wanted on the lot. And you will be REALLY lucky to even find a 2020 Transit on a dealer lot by Christmas. One of our customer orders is just now in production with a November 27th build date and we hope to see it the second week of December. Most of the first Transits built were for the Commercial dealers so those will tend to be the traditional Oxford White, NOW 3.5L PFDI V-6 engine, and Vinyl seats.

Best to forget the online version on the 2020 Transit if you want to get a vehicle with some of the special options on it. Even if you use the site to build the Transit you are wanting, it doesn't mean there will be one at the selected dealers within the 100 mile radius that it looks at and just gives you something close to your choices.

That is why most buyers look at Matt Ford to build their Transit using the Matt Ford 2020 B-O-B Transit Service so you see everything available for the Transit rather than the picked options online and then you can get a preview order with a price quote.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If the Build-Your-Own for 2016, 2017, 2018 and 2019 are any indicators, I'd guess you will see 2020 AWD Transits out in the wild long before the Build-Your-Own gets online.
So, from reading all this, there is only one Ford dealer in the entire USA who can get me a Transit with all the options I want?? WOW

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
So, from reading all this, there is only one Ford dealer in the entire USA who can get me a Transit with all the options I want?? WOW

??? I'm not sure how you went from A to B on that one... I'm saying that traditionally the "Build-Your-Own" portion of the web site doesn't come out all that early. If you want to order an actual Transit just the way you want it, you wouldn't use that feature. It's a good guide, but not always accurate. The dealer has the Order Guide, which lists all the options and their corresponding option code as well as the limitations or conflicts in ordering certain options, like "Builders Prep Package 47E - Requires Dual AGM Batteries (63E).

So go to any dealer in the US and use the Order Guide to create your order. Many of us have gone to Matt Ford through CrewVanMan because they are probably the highest volume dealer of non white basic cargo vans for fleet use. The local dealer I went to didn't even know you could get dual sliding doors in a Transit Cargo.

Another reason many of us have gone to Matt Ford is that we wanted a high roof. Not all dealers have enough allocation to order a high roof, and if they do order it that high roof still has to get transported to your local dealer. There aren't many rail cars that can handle the height of a high roof Transit so delivery can take a while. Matt Ford is not far from the factory so the vans get delivered pretty quickly on a flat bed.

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
All true, GapRunr!

If you could see all of the MR & HR Transit sitting around the different storage lots near the rail shipping area waiting for that higher roof rail car to handle transportation to other parts of the USA it would make you see how Matt Ford can make a difference being 24 miles from the plant and closer to most of the holding lots where the local transporting is done.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I prefer to buy through a local dealer [there are many within 50 miles] so if there are issues I take it in and expect immediate attention. My closest dealer has done almost all the servicing on my 2016 and I like the service manager who is very customer friendly. Mercedes transports their vans on flatbed trailers so I've seen the Metris on the trailer with high roof sprinters.

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
I prefer to buy through a local dealer [there are many within 50 miles] so if there are issues I take it in and expect immediate attention.
With 3 Transits from 3 different dealers, my local dealer has never provided anything but immediate attention for service.

·
Registered
47 Posts
There is no reason your local dealer cannot place a custom order with Ford for a Transit or any other vehicle. In my experience it is a matter of finding the right person at the dealership that is willing and able to get that order in for you.

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
Not the case with Transit orders and most Ford orders in general. If the dealer does not have the proper allocation to order a specific Transit body style like a HR or AWD model. they can place the order into the system but Ford will not accept it for scheduling. The order will just sit on their Vehicle Visibility until it ages out or the dealer is able to get the allocation to get the order to a 'Unscheduled - Clean' status.

We have had forum members who placed orders with their local dealers and it sat there for months with NO VIN or indication the order had been processed. Some dealers have already told their customers they can't place a order right now. They may be correct if they had not ordered a lot of Transits in the past. WIth the AWD model moved to a high priority on the allocation list with the HR roof models that have been difficult for a lot of dealers to order, that can be the case when you place your order locally. Some dealers will be honest with you and tell you they have the allocation just to get the order and your business.

That does not mean your local dealer can't give you service on the Transit. If it is in warranty, the dealer gets paid no matter where the Transit was ordered. We have ran into dealers where a Matt Ford customer took his Transit in for a warranty issue and the service writer makes a comment about 'did you buy this Transit from us' and then tends to not want to repair the vehicle or make excuses like it will have to be done by the issuing dealer. Not the case and when a dealer does this to a Transit customer, the dealership can get busted and lose some desirable allocations for Transits as well as other vehicles.

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
One example of this is Matt Ford and the Ford Raptor. Even though we sell a lot of Ford F-150s, we only get so many Raptors allocated to us to place a order. We can build a order for a customer and give him pricing, then submit the order into the Ford system. We already know from our dealer allocation on F-150's we have so many Raptors available to order, so if there is not a open allocation there, the order can go into the Ford order system and just sits there with NO scheduling available. Once the allocation becomes available, (usually when each quarterly allocation comes up that may add it) then the order goes to the 'Unscheduled - Clean' status and gets lined up for scheduling.

Some buyers think this is unfair to the dealer but this is the way Ford does it. Matt Ford had this problem back in 2016 when they tried to expand their Transit orders and by working with their Kansas City District Manager, we have been able to increase our allocations over time to build it up to 27 allocations per quarter and that gives us the ability to order ANY body style and with our close distance from the plant, we are not limited to order numbers for the MR & HR models since they do not have to be shipped via special height rail car but delivered via flat bed hauler or the rear of the auto convoy hauler.

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
If you looked at our 20 current orders for the 2020 Transit, we have a varied group of body styles ordered with 90% AWD models. Just going down the list from the Vehicle Visibility system, here is the body styles we have on order with ' * ' on orders with VINs.

X9C
R1D *
R2X * In production NOW
R2X *
W2X *
X9Y *
E2C *
R2X
S4W *
X9Y
X9C
E2Y *
R2D
R2X - Material HOLD
W3X - Material HOLD
W3U - Material HOLD
R2X
R3X
X2C - Material HOLD
R2V
W2C

The 'Material HOLD' orders have either the 2.0L Diesel engine or the Power Sliding Side Door in the order and those are on April and March 2020 product availability. Once they become available for production, those orders go from 'Unscheduled - Material HOLD' to 'Unscheduled - Clean'.

·
Registered
47 Posts
So because of your superior allocation, you don't have any held up in that way? Would an order that that is otherwise not on hold but held up due to a lack of allocation show as 'Unscheduled - Clean' or is there another status for this situation? How would a dealer know that their lack of allocation is holding up an order from being scheduled?

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
Off Grid Yo

What has your dealer told you about your order status? Is it in 'Unscheduled - Clean' status? We have 9 in that situation now waiting for Ford to take the 6 current allocations for this week and give us VINs and projected build dates. Ford pulls orders based on the most ordered body styles from dealers and not from the order date. In the Matt Ford situation, we have had the X9C order in at the same time as the R1D CrewVan order and it still has not been given a VIN or build date. Besides the body style, certain options on the order may delay it because of vendor situations.

1 - 20 of 78 Posts